The Next Chapter: Bodom After Midnight

" PAINT THE SKY WITH BLOOD EP RELEASE DATE, TRACKLIST & COVER. PRE-ORDER NOW!

BODOM AFTER MIDNIGHT’s
EP, Paint The Sky With Blood will be released on April 23, 2021 via Napalm records

"Like ourselves, Alexi was beyond stoked about these songs and anxious to get these out so we are happy that we can fulfill his wish. Needless to say that we are honored and proud to be a part of his very last creative work and unleash it the way he wanted it to. It’s time to let the beast out of the cage one more time as a celebration of Alexi’s music, legacy and the man himself. "
-Daniel, Waltteri & Mitja

Paint The Sky With Blood Tracklisting:
01. Paint The Sky With Blood
02. Payback’s A Bitch
03. Where Dead Angels Lie (Dissection Cover)

Paint The Sky With Blood will be available in the following formats:
-10" Spined Sleeve Oxblood
-10" Spined Sleeve Inkspot Ox/Black
-Deluxe Box
-Digital Album

Pre-order your copy: @napalmrecordsofficial

Cover artwork and layout by Travis Smith @theartoftravissmith "

The Reaper is gone and his scythe has fallen into the soil of Lake Bodom's shore.

Completely looking forward to it! YES.

The artwork is truly mesmerizing... the lack of Reaper, that scythe all alone... I wonder if it was made to link it with Alexi's death or the artwork was made before.

Reactions: COB-666
66720_bodom_after_midnight_paint_the_sky_with_blood_digipak_cd.jpg

66721_bodom_after_midnight_paint_the_sky_with_blood_black_vinyl.jpg

66723_bodom_after_midnight_paint_the_sky_with_blood_oxblood_black_ink_spot_vinyl.jpg

66724_bodom_after_midnight_paint_the_sky_with_blood_deluxe_boxset.jpg

66725_bodom_after_midnight_paint_the_sky_with_blood_t_shirt.jpg

https://napalmrecords.com/bodom-after-midnight

Oh fuck, a cover of one of Dissection's best songs.
That, combined with the art work makes me think we could really have seen a return to old school goodness. Yet the typical titles like Payback's a Bitch fit in nicely with the trend of later albums.

Regardless of what it is going to sound like, this will be one of the most cherished albums. Pre-ordered the deluxe set straight away.

I agree to your comments about the missing Reaper...and the blood red colour reminds to "Something Wild"...it's like things have come full circle.

Aside from that, I'm still conflicted...of course I'm "happy" there are at least those 2 new songs by Alexi that we get to hear, but also...those are the last two new songs we'll hear from him. It will be hard to listen to them and I actually hope they won't release a song long before April 23. I think I'll need the time to get a little nore distance to what just happened one month ago...

What Napalm Records posted with the EP:

"Am 23. April 2021 veröffentlicht die Melodic Death Metal Formation BODOM AFTER MIDNIGHT über Napalm Records

Die EP Paint The Sky With Blood. Die EP wurde bereits Ende 2020 in Finnland aufgenommen und sollte der Beginn einer Reise sein, die viel zu früh endete. Die drei Tracks starke Scheibe ist ein beeindruckender, überwältigender Nachruf auf eine absolute Legende der Metal-Szene, einen unvergleichlichen Sänger/Gitarristen und symbolisiert gleichzeitig eine moderne Hommage an das Genre selbst. Ein Sturm aus wütenden Gitarren und stürmischen Drums erhebt sich, verschmilzt mit der vielseitigen Stimmgewalt von Alexi Laiho’ und mündet in einem gewaltigen Sound-Universum mit dem Titel ""Paint The Sky With Blood"", welcher die gleichnamige 14-minütige EP eröffnet. Der Track erinnert wahrlich an einige bekannte frühe CHILDREN OF BODOM-Klassiker, während er gleichzeitig aufregende neue und moderne Einflüsse in widerspiegelt.

Der zweite Kracher - ""Payback's a Bitch“ - sucht mit massivem Riffing nach lyrischer Vergeltung und liefert eine knallharte Offensive, die ihresgleichen sucht. Das Zusammenspiel von Alexi Laiho, Gitarrist Daniel Freyberg, Waltteri Väyrynen (bekannt als Schlagzeuger von Paradise Lost), Mitja Toivonen (Ex Santa Cruz-Bassist) und Live-Keyboarder Vili Itäpelto ist nicht nur ein Beweis für das außergewöhnliche musikalische Können der Band, sondern zeigt auch ihre genre-technische Wandelbarkeit auf. Der abschließende Cover Song ”Where Dead Angels Lie"", im Original von der schwedischen Extreme Metal-Formation DISSECTION, gibt einem absoluten Klassiker eine neue Note. Schaurige Riffs und der zwischen bedrohlichem Gemurmel und charakteristischen gutturalen, verzerrten Tiefen wechselnde Gesang, verleihen dieser Version einen unbestreitbaren BODOM AFTER MIDNIGHT Touch. Mit Paint The Sky With Blood halten BODOM AFTER MIDNIGHT das Zepter des Metal in den Händen und präsentieren einen Ausschnitt eines einzigartigen Erbes. "

Google translate:
On April 23rd, 2021 the melodic death metal formation BODOM AFTER MIDNIGHT will be releasing via Napalm Records

The EP Paint The Sky With Blood. The EP was already recorded in Finland in late 2020 and should be the start of a journey that ended far too early. The three-track disc is an impressive, overwhelming obituary for an absolute legend of the metal scene, an incomparable singer / guitarist and at the same time symbolizes a modern homage to the genre itself. A storm of angry guitars and tumultuous drums rises, merges with the Alexi Laiho's versatile voice and leads to a huge sound universe with the title "Paint The Sky With Blood" ", which opens the 14-minute EP of the same name. The track is truly reminiscent of some well-known early CHILDREN OF BODOM classics while reflecting exciting new and modern influences.

The second hit - "" Payback's a Bitch "- seeks lyrical retribution with massive riffing and delivers a tough offensive that is second to none. The interplay of Alexi Laiho, guitarist Daniel Freyberg, Waltteri Väyrynen (known as the drummer of Paradise Lost), Mitja Toivonen (ex Santa Cruz bassist) and live keyboardist Vili Itäpelto is not only proof of the band's extraordinary musical ability, but also shows their genre-technical changeability. The final cover song "Where Dead Angels Lie" ", originally by the Swedish extreme metal formation DISSECTION, gives an absolute classic a new note. Eerie riffs and the vocals alternating between threatening murmurs and characteristic guttural, distorted depths, give this version an undeniable BODOM AFTER MIDNIGHT touch. With Paint The Sky With Blood, BODOM AFTER MIDNIGHT hold the scepter of metal in their hands and present an excerpt from a unique legacy. "

Obviously marketing talk, but you know. This is going to be tough to listen to.

With that description I want to listen to the first track right now, but wow, after this EP is really REALLY over, hard to handle.

This looks great, the cover is great, (I want that T-shirt! :heh:) and the dissection cover is very much welcomed!:headbang:

Also, this means we will hear some acoustic guitar (clean tones) from Alexi yet again, just like the last time: on Something Wild.:thumbsup:

Looking forward to listen to the EP :popcorn:

Instantly ordered the Deluxe Box and also a Shirt.

From the PR Text it sounds like the first song will have neoclassical elements like Hexed while the second song might be more something like This Road.

Regarding the cover, I personally would have preferred a new "funny" cover of Pop songs but this one is gonna be more serious like black winter day. I hope I will still like it.

I hope the sound of the EP will be similar to the Hexed album. I would like to put those songs in my playlist after knuckleduster to have like an extended edition of Hexed.

Oops, didn't realize it is way too expensive for a 14 minute EP, I mean... 20 euros is almost Hexed.

And I too prefer a more serious cover, just like Black Winter Day was back in 2015, it was like a perfect ending for I worship chaos.

That ownerless scythe seems too heavy.

Yeah, but it might mean "We're here, after CoB" too, so... It could have been made before Alexi died. But now, definitely might connect with him and his die as well.
The artwork can express - already - three things, I think:
- Alexi's death.
- First EP/Album after CoB, and Roy is gone.
- Something Wild vibes on the EP (if... the songs is similar to SW; first and last Bodom "albums" would similar together)

Last edited:
Reactions: Aries Poison Girl
Well Reaper always wass "the face" of the band. I was wondering what they would use for this cover, but it seems too... Hopeless. Kinda, "Even death will become a pray" as one another band was singing.

In my head-canon, the Reaper just took Alexi after ten chapters (Bodom albums) and now he is in the sky, painting the heavens with his own blood... cause, well, Alexi is Alexi.

Nevermind, I'm just enthusiastic