The Next Chapter: Bodom After Midnight

tragician

Hermotriekaleina22/7
Feb 24, 2016
Finland
Thought I'd make a new thread for things going on after the breakup.

SO FAR:
Henkka has joined a band called Moon Shot with members of Lapko and Disco Ensemble.

Janne has said that he will probably continue Warmen at some point but no news about that yet what I have seen.

Alexi and Daniel are carrying on with COB, new members and new name. They have already been decided months ago but no plans or names have beeb revealed yet. Alexi has posted a small trailer onto his instagram and Daniel has teased us with a post with a timer. Something will happen tomorrow, march 16th.

Will we finally get a pink album cover?

---
Edit 26.08.2020
For anyone just stumbling upon this thread:
-Bodom After Midnight members are Mitja Toivonen, Waltteri Väyrynen and a live keyboardist Lauri Salomaa. They should have played shows in 2020 but had to cancel because of corona virus. They do have some shows booked for 2021. New material has not been talked about yet.

-Jaska has joined a doom metal band Mercury Circle. They will hopefully start playing live in 2021. Currently in studio for a new album.

-Henkka's new band Moon Shot will be releasing an album soon. They have posted some trailers on Youtube and according to their instagram a music video is on its way too.

Last edited:
Reactions: COB-666
I get it. tomorrow they will announce the new band members and probably band name by alexi driving around picking them all up as hitchhikers.

I get it. tomorrow they will announce the new band members and probably band name by alexi driving around picking them all up as hitchhikers.
Probably yeah.
I'm super excited, just woke up and remembered I'm waiting for this, two hours left!! Even if I still think there won't be new songs yet but this new band feels so unreal before I know who's in it.
I just love these driving videos they have done lately, Local Band Finland tour 2018, NPLH tour 2018 and now this too.

So new band is called Bodom After Midnight and they'll be playing three festivals this year, Tuska, John Smith and Summer Breeze
Video went exactly as guessed, new members are Mitja Toivonen and Waltteri Väyrynen, Live keyboards will be done by Lauri Salomaa

So Santa Cruz and Paradise Lost guys.

Last edited:
Why call it Bodom After Midnight when they could’ve just used Bodom Night? Maybe the problem is I associate the name with the funny song. Whatever, let’s see how the music is. And why no permanent keyboardist, too hard to find?

Yeah, the logo could be much better... it's similar to Married with Children's "logo"... :)
The new members... I don't know... I would have liked to have seen it someone from melodeath...
Anyway, I hope the new name means Alexi back to the FTR/old style.

Reactions: tragician
I don't know what to think about this constellation... a glam-rock bassist, a goth-rock drummer, a guy who could literally be his father and a guy, who will always stay in Alexis shadow?

That doesn't fit at all. No way they will go back to old FTR style.

So will they play own songs on Tuska or old Bodom songs? I didn't really understand that.

Unbenannt.JPG

The blood in most musicians’ veins would curdle if they all of a sudden learned that the perpetually globe-trotting team they have recorded ten albums with is about to implode. This was the fate staring Alexi Laiho straight in the face at a band meeting early last year.
As the assembly was completed, the attendees had reached a unanimous decision: The group known as Children Of Bodom would cease to exist after a concert at the Helsinki Ice Hall in December 2019. The shutdown process went as planned and the members parted as friends. End of a story that had begun in 1993.
The situation was a new kind of challenge. What went through the mind of the guitarist, songwriter and bandleader who had been continually chosen as the best metal guitarist in the world by the readers’ and experts’ polls of various music magazines and websites? Laiho brushed the dust off his shoulders and revved up the engines. A new line- up or death! Luckily, he wasn’t alone.
Guitarist Daniel Freyberg crawled through the wreckage to join Laiho in his quest. Committing to a hard-working team was never a problem for him either. But two guitar players do not a group make. It was time to start thinking about who could handle the drums, bass and keyboards. There were many options to choose from. But as Laiho had already witnessed people exit less than elegantly, he wanted to get just the right cohorts.
High-level musicianship, a cool stage presence and a fitting personality were the factors put under the microscope. Finally, the pieces to complete the puzzle were found. And the name for the new line-up? It had been right under Alexi’s nose all along.
The drummer will be Waltteri Väyrynen who has been a member of Paradise Lost since 2015 whereas bass duties are handled by Mitja Toivonen of Santa Cruz fame. As a touring keyboardist, the quartet is joined by Lauri Salomaa.
Alexi Laiho will lead Bodom After Midnight to play selected festival appearances follow after which band will start working on new material.
At the moment, he also has another thing to be very excited about. Alexi Laiho’s autobiography, released a year ago, has shipped over 11 000 copies in Finland. Chaos, Control & Guitar will come out in English in May from Johnny Kniga, an imprint of Werner Söderström Ltd.

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-16_16-3-47.png
    upload_2020-3-16_16-3-47.png
    992.1 KB · Views: 2
Only way I could accept this new title is if the new music is really really dark. Bodom’s just gone to a different direction than my taste. I don’t like their fun side, I liked the dark stuff, and it seems they’re not intending to shock everyone with obsessively dark music.

View attachment 24168

The blood in most musicians’ veins would curdle if they all of a sudden learned that the perpetually globe-trotting team they have recorded ten albums with is about to implode. This was the fate staring Alexi Laiho straight in the face at a band meeting early last year.
As the assembly was completed, the attendees had reached a unanimous decision: The group known as Children Of Bodom would cease to exist after a concert at the Helsinki Ice Hall in December 2019. The shutdown process went as planned and the members parted as friends. End of a story that had begun in 1993.
The situation was a new kind of challenge. What went through the mind of the guitarist, songwriter and bandleader who had been continually chosen as the best metal guitarist in the world by the readers’ and experts’ polls of various music magazines and websites? Laiho brushed the dust off his shoulders and revved up the engines. A new line- up or death! Luckily, he wasn’t alone.
Guitarist Daniel Freyberg crawled through the wreckage to join Laiho in his quest. Committing to a hard-working team was never a problem for him either. But two guitar players do not a group make. It was time to start thinking about who could handle the drums, bass and keyboards. There were many options to choose from. But as Laiho had already witnessed people exit less than elegantly, he wanted to get just the right cohorts.
High-level musicianship, a cool stage presence and a fitting personality were the factors put under the microscope. Finally, the pieces to complete the puzzle were found. And the name for the new line-up? It had been right under Alexi’s nose all along.
The drummer will be Waltteri Väyrynen who has been a member of Paradise Lost since 2015 whereas bass duties are handled by Mitja Toivonen of Santa Cruz fame. As a touring keyboardist, the quartet is joined by Lauri Salomaa.
Alexi Laiho will lead Bodom After Midnight to play selected festival appearances follow after which band will start working on new material.
At the moment, he also has another thing to be very excited about. Alexi Laiho’s autobiography, released a year ago, has shipped over 11 000 copies in Finland. Chaos, Control & Guitar will come out in English in May from Johnny Kniga, an imprint of Werner Söderström Ltd.
Where'd you get this? I read this exact same thing in Finnish an hour or so ago in one of Finland's biggest online newspapers :D

Sad that they didn't go for "My Bodom". Would have been quite the statement haha.

Joke aside, I would have really prefered he went for "Bodom Blue Moon". Love the sound of that name.

Err... I think you need to look at his career history.
Ok, sounds good so far!

Where'd you get this? I read this exact same thing in Finnish an hour or so ago in one of Finland's biggest online newspapers :D
From their FB page. It's also written in almost every rock/metal online magazine.

I don't like the name (hoped to hear something new instead) and I don't like the new font but that teaser is fucking genius. I couldn't imagine any better way to introduce new band members. The sound, the setting, the atmosphere.. everything fits perfect into each other.

Yesterday I wasn't really sure what to think about the new members but today I have to admit: I'm a bit hyped.

What I'm still not sure about is, if this whole thing is realy something serious, or if it's just another "The Local Band" or "Kylähullut" copy