The Next Chapter: Bodom After Midnight

View attachment 24168

The blood in most musicians’ veins would curdle if they all of a sudden learned that the perpetually globe-trotting team they have recorded ten albums with is about to implode. This was the fate staring Alexi Laiho straight in the face at a band meeting early last year.
As the assembly was completed, the attendees had reached a unanimous decision: The group known as Children Of Bodom would cease to exist after a concert at the Helsinki Ice Hall in December 2019. The shutdown process went as planned and the members parted as friends. End of a story that had begun in 1993.

I love how nobody here comments on this ridiculous thing

The friend thing might just be the only thing that’s true. Sad, but true.
I mean the rest.
Do they seriously want people to believe that this was all decided in a meeting in EARLY 2019? If so, why didn’t they do a final tour? Why did they suddenly announced a final show only weeks before it happened and that was it? Why were gigs/tours already scheduled for 2020?

just stating the obvious here.
nevertheless I am curious to see what this new band has to offer but this al is kinda sad.

I thought they decided in a band meeting last year that they would break up in the end of 2020 but then the russia tour changed the plans. However the whole story of how shit went down is so inconsistent between how each of them tells it. Did they make an agreenent not to discuss it publicly like with Roope?
I just thought the way that whole text was written was kinda funny.
Maybe this Bodom After Midnight thing will bring some new interviews where we get a bit more of an explanation. Or not. The overall way this was handled was so dumb.
I mean that band's statement "we are not going to retire what akexi said was bullshit" but then comes that Kaaoszine Moonshot interviee where Henkka says he wanted to stop making music but changed his mind. But also it's strange that things ended "surprisingly early" but Alexi had a new band together already.

Like ok

Reactions: COB-666
Do they seriously want people to believe that this was all decided in a meeting in EARLY 2019? If so, why didn’t they do a final tour? Why did they suddenly announced a final show only weeks before it happened and that was it? Why were gigs/tours already scheduled for 2020?

just stating the obvious here.
Hm, you've got a point there. I think we will never know.

I mean that band's statement "we are not going to retire what akexi said was bullshit" but then comes that Kaaoszine Moonshot interviee where Henkka says he wanted to stop making music but changed his mind. But also it's strange that things ended "surprisingly early" but Alexi had a new band together already.

Like ok
When and where did Alexi said that?

Where can I find that Henkka interview?

Alexi said "it's understandable if you don't want to do this anymore after so many years" in his first comments about the band breaking up. Then there was the band statement posted on COB facebook where they were like "there is a misconception that we are going to retire, it is not true". KaaosZine uploaded a Moon Shot interview to youtube in january and Henkka barely talks there but explains his situation when asked about how he joined the band.

Reactions: <Arcane>
BodomAfterMidnight_02_%C2%A9Terhi%20Ylim%C3%A4inen.jpg

https://www.greybeard.fi/artists/bodom-after-midnight

Reactions: <Arcane>
It's not complete, the keyboardist is an essential part in Bodom's music, more important than rhythm guitarist and bassist for them, and musically more important than drummer. It makes no sense they only have a live session keyboardist. Not that I care that much, but I guess we can forget about the guitar-keyboard unison solo stuff. Maybe Alexi doesn't want to use keyboards as a prominent element in songwriting anymore, which could hint they're either going full-out thrash or (wishful thinking) go more to a black metalish direction. I think this means they're definitely not going neo-classical. Song material for keyboard will thus be written before or after jamming the ideas.

Last edited:
That was quicker than I expected. Good sign that things are moving along. Don't care for the name or the logo, it looks more like a tour poster than a band logo.

Great that they won't have a full-time keyboard player, about time. Hopefully that means that the next album won't have any or little keyboards and it will be more along the lines of AYDY.

The lineup...not sure if that will last. But I guess they can try. BAM will still be all about Alexi all the time.

Hmmm I can’t find their bio anywhere on their official pages now. Wonder why?

https://kaaoszine.fi/paluu-sisuuntu...dom-after-midnightin-julkistanut-alexi-laiho/

There is an interview here. It's got an english version too.

But basically
-Alexi isn't panicking about coronavirus
-Had already started thinking of a new band A YEAR before last show
-New members he knows from before.
-Likes BAM name because "Bodom After" implies it's the next chapter.
-New music probably after a year or so, but setlists will be changed to play a bit more rare tracks and shows not gonne be identical each time at least this summer
-Writes music all the time so has stuff ready but doesn't think a new album is a priority now that Hexed is so new

About thay bio I can't find it either :D

They now have practiced 20 songs already and are practicing more so they can vary the setlist at summer.

Apparently Daniel thought first mistakenly that even Alexi was willing to stop, but was relieved when he said wasn't, and it was helpful and supportive for Alexi that Daniel had the drive.

The keyboardist played in Local Band, and they will see if he'll be fitting to be a permanent member.

They intend to play a couple songs that have never been played live (from the early albums these include only Wrath Within, Taste of My Scythe, Northern Comfort...) and some songs they haven't played in a long time (let me guess / wish: LBRH, Knuckleduster, PMIB...)

And once I picked these I notice there's a translation beneath.

Last edited:
and Bodom sounds like Bottom in english.
Bottom Asshole it is :D
I've always pronounced it as buudum not bodom. Never heard anyone say it as bodom until I began listening to COB :D (I live ~10km away from the lake so I'd actually both heard and visited the place before ever hearing about COB).

Reactions: COB-666
I love how nobody here comments on this ridiculous thing
Hmmm I can’t find their bio anywhere on their official pages now. Wonder why?

Janne Wirman posted on his personal Facebook about the false statements on the Bodom After Midnight release statement, one of them being that the ending would've been planned already early on 2019. According to his post the band had a meeting about the break up during the summer of 2019 but Alexi didn't show up. Neither he did show up to the rehearsals the very next day. Because of that Alexi heard of the splitting via email.

Janne Wirman posted on his personal Facebook about the false statements on the Bodom After Midnight release statement, one of them being that the ending would've been planned already early on 2019. According to his post the band had a meeting about the break up during the summer of 2019 but Alexi didn't show up. Neither he did show up to the rehearsals the very next day. Because of that Alexi heard of the splitting via email.

Yes, I know. Just wasn’t sure to share it here unless Janne goes public. He said he will have to, although now I see a changed version of the BAM press release on their fb, so I don’t know if he will. Of course this happened because Janne speaks the truth lol.
I personally wish he would go public about this anyway, so that all fans get to know what really happened.
Of course, some things are better left unsaid.
FYI:

Attachments

• 0501C190-020D-44C4-A2AD-CFF64A837C70.jpeg
    0501C190-020D-44C4-A2AD-CFF64A837C70.jpeg
    350.3 KB · Views: 51