The Night & The Silent Water: Its beginning

JesusChristPose

Logic Dictates
Oct 20, 2001
Pittsburgh, Pa
Although this entire song is absolutely fantastic, to me the first part up until the acoustical interlude is one of Opeth's best writings ~ So full of melody and emotion, pain, hurt..."And so you left us, Jaded and gaunt, some Semptember...

I absolutely love that...I can listen to it over and over and over, I have listened to it over and over and over...

Of course, of course, great, GREAT song!

Something else about that song, has anyone ever noticed that right at the beginning it sounds like one tiny fraction of a second was cut off, I mean, the bass-kick sounds "half" and not with full power?

Anyone ever noticed this, or is it just my copy of the disc (I have the original, not re-issue) perhaps..?

I know what you mean, that intro is one of the most emotional parts of Morningrise. Isn't that song about Mike's grandad, or inspired by him, or something :confused:?

"Something else about that song, has anyone ever noticed that right at the beginning it sounds like one tiny fraction of a second was cut off, I mean, the bass-kick sounds "half" and not with full power?"

~ I hadn't noticed, but now I will listen for it.

As for it being about his grandad, I don't know, but somebody probably does and will reply.

"I saw your eyes...somewhere..."

Yeah, that bit spoilt it a bit for me. I always thought it was sort of old-fashioned or something, and then it says "photograph". Oh well.

Originally posted by rustymetal
Yeah, that bit spoilt it a bit for me. I always thought it was sort of old-fashioned or something, and then it says "photograph". Oh well.

well this camera technologie(sp?) is like ancient so it could still be old fashioned... :) And I adore this song, it´s so laid back and melodic and it has this autumn feel to it so this like is the ideal season to listen to it :D which I going to do right about now.

Originally posted by Fyhed
I like the song but i HATE the whispering bits.....

"you sleep in the night....."

you know........its just pants man

:eek:

Hehe, that's my favourite part. :) :p

Yeah man it's amazing yeah, but it's very subtle.....very very subtle. I like how it gets all double bassy and dramatic and fast as it draws to an end too. Very cool. I do very much love the opening of Advent more though......

I believe it is "You sleep in the light yet the night and the silent water still so dark"

But I guess it sounds like night :shrug:

It should have won the best song poll, I mean, to bid you farewell is very good, but I just like the night and the silent water a little better. :bah:

np: at the gates - raped by the light of christ (definitly one of my atg favorites)