The Night and the Silent Water Interpretation...

crimsonfloyd

Apr 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
I was really board and had nothing else to do so I did something I hadn't done in a while, broke down a song part for part and interpratted it (well actually someone challenged me to but whatever...). Heres my interpertation of the song and its meaning, I'd be interested to see what others think...

The Night and the Silent Water. The song is about Mikael going into the wilderness look back on his death, funeral and the feelings he has about the entire event.

The song opens with a rather angry riff with a touch of sadness, although the anger is the dominant emotion. This is his initial reaction to his grandfather’s death (perhaps not his overall initial reaction, but his initial reaction as far as the beginning of this “story” if you want to call it that). At about the forty second mark acoustic guitars come in, representing the overriding feeling of sorrow. Next a scream comes in which is filled with agony. The next riff is very sorrowful and melodic and fits very well with the lyrics, which lament his grandfather perfectly.

And so you left us
Jaded and gaunt, some September

Mikael’s grandfather died of some disease that slowly thinned him out until his death
Wilted with the seasons

As the seasons passed, and the tree wilted so did his grandfather as he lost more and more weight and got closer and closer to his death
But hidden inside the delusion
I saw your eyes, somewhere

Whatever killed him caused him to lose his mind before he died. Nevertheless Mikael could still see the man he loved somewhere deep inside.
Devoid of death
The aura poises amidst (the storm)
In solid tears I linger
A parlour glade, moonlit sorrow

This is the hardest part of the song to interpret. A parlor is a place where one traditionally entertains guests. Its seems as if he went into the forest to mourn the death and it felt as if the moon was mourning with him. Perhaps he felt as if he could mourn unto or with the moon.
Lonely resting pools
Relics of the moon dogged lake
Whisper: "All your words are misgiven"

He feels as if the water pools are speaking to him- saying that they question what he feels about his grandfather. This idea is continued in the next segment. Appropriately the riff dies off and feeds into an acoustic segment. The acoustic progression sounds very reflective, as are the lyrics.

Am I like them? Those who mourn and turn away
Those who would give anything
To see you again
If only for another second

This is rather clear-cut. He’s wondering if he’s going feel the same way as everyone else and wish to see him one more time. It seems as if Mikael doesn’t consider death to be the worst thing.

Your face was, like the photograph
Painted white
We did not speak very often about it

People’s faces are always painted up with a lot of makeup at funerals, which makes them not look like themselves. It seems his family didn’t want to speak about what had happened, but rather suppressed their feelings. This is the cause of the anger and sadness in the riff.
What does it matter now?

He doesn’t see why this bothers him so much
Cloak of autumn shroud
I gaze, dim ricochet of stars
I reckon it is time for me to leave

He feels as if its time for him to leave the woods. The riff changes to a slightly more glorious segment for this part, however it is quickly pulled down into the next acoustic segment as Mikael’s sorrow takes him over once again. The riff is soft, gentile, fragile and weak- feelings he must have been feeling at this point. The next acoustic segment kicks in with a very tragic progression, which is eventually washed out by dark electric guitars, which give the same feeling. An overpowering feeling of weakness and loss is taking over and everything begins to look far too bleak.

You sleep in the light
Yet the night and the silent water
Still so dark...

His grandfather is dead and at peace (perhaps in a afterlife he seems to believe in). Mikael is still on earth where everything is so dark. In a literal sense he is still sitting by the puddles in the woods, late at night- very much a reflection of how he feels alone, bleak and sorrowful. The final acoustic progression is full of despair. The soft plucking represents his tears.

Very good, but I think the whole idea of him being in the woods is very silly, why would he be in the woods??? I know it's the whole Opeth mysticism, the woods and all, but I think that's a little silly, personally. Nonetheless, very good interpretation.

Thanks. Well I he says he's by what used to be a lake so it could be somthing like a pond out in a park or something, yeah? Maybe it's just cuz I spend a lot of time in the woods I assume that, but then again the early Opeth albums are filled with imagery of nature so...

crimsonfloyd said:
Thanks. Well I he says he's by what used to be a lake so it could be somthing like a pond out in a park or something, yeah? Maybe it's just cuz I spend a lot of time in the woods I assume that, but then again the early Opeth albums are filled with imagery of nature so...

I know exactly what you mean, when I think of forests or woods, I totally think of Opeth, but I think they would kind of find that insulting, seeing that there was no name for them back then, so people called them forest metal haha.

I like this interpretation, though it was certainly augmented by the fact that Mikael has discussed that the song is about the death of his grandfather. I have always found forests intriguing, in a way I'm sure many of you can identify with... so that part of your interpretation works for me. I wanted to add my own ideas but I'm lazy and it's late.

Cheers, crimsonfloyd! A job well done. This was always one of my favourite Opeth songs. The buildup to the whispered part at the end is beautiful, for lack of a better word.

the am i like them verse has always mystified me..

i've always thought "those who mourn and turn away" meant something like they show up to the funeral and that is the end of their grief, they turn away. and i felt like it meant MORE to mikael instead of less like you say..

regardless, that passage is defeinitely a major highlight of mikaels songwriting and riff writing.

NonBoxed said:
the am i like them verse has always mystified me..

i've always thought "those who mourn and turn away" meant something like they show up to the funeral and that is the end of their grief, they turn away. and i felt like it meant MORE to mikael instead of less like you say..

regardless, that passage is defeinitely a major highlight of mikaels songwriting and riff writing.
That would make more sense, but it wouldn't add up with the rest of the stanza...

This was a fascinating read! I think your interpretation is pretty accurate and heart-felt. Good job!

just to add sumthing...
in the line "yor face was like the photograph, painted white, we didnt speak that often about it... what does it matter now"

i have a personal interpretation on this

in my granparents house there is a photo of my grandpa from aaaageesss ago, like black and white photo and it looks like his face is "painted white" cos thats how old school photos were like.
so i see it as mikes grandpas face was white cos thats hows they look dead just like the old photo, the photo was mysetrious and old but thye never talked about it much, never talked about those times when mikes grandpa was young.. but it doesnt matter now as hes dead...

wow, u can really shit on when your bored

Darkness_Claimed_my_Flesh... said:
just to add sumthing...
in the line "yor face was like the photograph, painted white, we didnt speak that often about it... what does it matter now"
I've seen it as looking back on the funeral. Often they have photos of the deceased at the veiwing. Maybe he was comparing the pale touch of death to the black & white photo of his grandfather? And what family sits around daily and talks about a deceased loved one?

Good job, interesting read. We need more of this kind of intellect/conversation on the forum. I just hope it doesnt rekindle sad thoughts in Mikael if he happens to read it. Though it might inspire him to write another great song

Thanks for all the compliments. Demoke I'm really looking forward to reading your interpretation of Wreath (way too tried, just wrote two essays back to back, anything of any depth has no apeal to me at the moment). But yeah, I think an interpetations website would be great. Someone put a good one of Drapery Falls on a while ago. I'll see if I could find it. I'd like to do one for the entire My Arms Your Hearse album when i have the free time, probably during the Summer...