The Night and the Silent Water

jesus christ i am so fucking sorry, all i wanted to do was to show my love for an opeth song and you guys are totally turning this into an afterschool special kinda shit, goddamnit, ok. i totally agree that marijuana use has an affect on reaction time and what-not, that being said, i am not trying to encourage people to drive stoned, i am not saying that people should get high and get behind the wheel, all i am saying is this: what works for some does not work for all, what happens to some does not happen to all. ok so i got stoned and drove home while listening to morningrise. did i run over anybody? no. and this particular instance i was referring to was about 3 years ago. i have not smoked any less weed since then, yet i still continue to drive around town in the same condition or worse (or better, depending on how you look at it). and i haven't even been pulled over for any reason. i don't speed, i don't weave and swerve around like drunk drivers do, i stay true to my lane and remain very aware of any pedestrians, other drivers, and of course, the speed limits while i am behind the wheel. i am sorry, once again, for trying to talk to people.
i am a very lonely person, and i am just seeking an outlet.

Then again, you should've stopped at "I am so fucking sorry."

and regarding the roudnhouse tapes and TNATSW, what does mike say when introducing this song? to me it sounds like he says, "please enjoy this one, it's a doobie song" doobie meaning marijuana joint. correct me if i'm wrong?

not sure, but i thought that was also an old term meaning cool, and mikael doesnt do drugs so i dont see why hed make reference to them
i guess the poster above me thinks its duly song, im not sure what that is, so i guess thats why id never have guessed it :lol:

Great thread! I love the intense discussion and analysis of Night and the Silent Water! Glad to see people can stay on topic!

The clean part in the middle is amazing, and I like the live version more than the album one - most likely due to the deeper, more "mature" sounding growls. I'd also love to see the band play Black Rose Immortal with the new lineup, just to see what Mendez does with the bass lines. Same goes for To Bid You Farewell.

The clean part in the middle is amazing, and I like the live version more than the album one - most likely due to the deeper, more "mature" sounding growls.

This, I have to completely agree with! Not only do the more deeper growls fit the song better, but I also like Per's tasteful additions on the keys.
Actually, I wish they'd re-record some of their old stuff in studio, but then again, nothing can recreate the magic of the originals. And not to mention how people would scream "sellout!"

"Keep your plans secret for now"

That is what the fortune cookie I just ate said.

I love TNATSW live, I was blessed to see it at the Chronology show in L.A. and it was amazing. The "You sleep..." part had me guessing what they would do live and when Mike growled that part I was so amazed at how well it worked. Great song both album and live!

^ TNATSW would be so awesome to see live. Itis hard to decide which I like better- the Roundhouse Tapes version or the original. The Roundhouse Tapes is a little faster tempo wise which works (unlike on Bleak) and the growled "you sleep" part is so badass. But then again the original just has that brooding atmosphere with the whispers and everything.

Good point. But there's nothing like seeing it live.

Hopefully when the tour the US in September they whip out some oldies.

^ TNATSW would be so awesome to see live. Itis hard to decide which I like better- the Roundhouse Tapes version or the original. The Roundhouse Tapes is a little faster tempo wise which works (unlike on Bleak) and the growled "you sleep" part is so badass. But then again the original just has that brooding atmosphere with the whispers and everything.

i agree with you, i totally love the "you sleep" part in the live version, on the album it just sounds like a heavy whisper. hehe, when can we scream instead of whisper? anyway look guys, i'm sorry for being dumb and making stupid posts, i just don't have that many outlets in which to interact with other people, which is something i'm not very good at to begin with. i may not be able to go to shows or buy albums but i'm just as much of an opeth fan as the rest of you, if not more, so umm, i'll try to behave. sorry once again.

Anarchy, welcome to the forum...people here obviously live perfect lives in every way and therefore find it easy to criticise lesser mortals..forget all the weed stuff...I think people have made their views clear, so: TNATSW, I really don't like Morningrise so never rated it but loved it on Roundhouse Tapes..not sure why, it just sounds "beefier".