the night and the silent water

deliverance

ecnareviled
Aug 12, 2003
NJ, usa
www.audioscrobbler.com
i'm not too sure i will get an answer, but: does anyone know why this song, which i think is pretty damn good, is both mikael and peter's least favorite opeth song?

also, i can't fucking wait till the supposed live opeth dvd is released, if ever, haha.

mikael wrote it about his grandfather who died, so maybe its just an emotional song for him. dunnno about peter.

"Hello people!

I don't wanna slag off any of my/our older tunes, but with TNATSW it's different as I wrote that to my grandfather who'd passed away and it was terrible. Much like the whole recordings of the new albums was "tainted" by my grandmothers passing.
This together with the fact that I don't like the production of the "Morningrise" album at all + some of the riffs for that song feels really "old" today. I liked it at the time and I still think it's a good song, but if I have to chose my least fave Opeth song then that is it.

I consider all songs a document of that time and TNATSW is no exception, but I can't really relate to that tune anymore. Lyrically it's one of those songs I just wanted to leave behind as soon as I was done, you know.

---

Take care guys
Mike"

TNATSW is on my top 7 opeth songs list. I LOVE it. It feels
so "real". The lyric is great. The riffs are great. The mood is
great.

And what about the Morningrise production:

Morningrise RULES! The production is superb. Everything is
superb with that album.

I don't care what Mike says. To me, Morningrise is the album
that "touches" me most.

It is pain in my heart to hear that mike talks bad about it.

(THOUGH: I cannot promise that this opinion will hold in 5 years. Who
knows. But Morningrise will always have a special place in my heart.)