The Night and the Silent Water

anarchy420

Jan 10, 2008
i had read in the past on mike's bio on opeth.com that TNATSW was his least fave opeth track (and yes, i know why), and then some time later, probably right around the time of the roundhouse tapes, he put it as one of his faves (the live version). i personally love this song, it's probably one of my top 3 fave opeth songs. a couple of years ago, i had quit smoking weed for a year or so and then i met some people when i moved to alabama and i started smoking again, anyway i was at a friend's house getting stoned and while i was driving home, morningrise was in my cd player (i had been listening to advent) and i just remember hearing that riff before he starts with "you sleep in the light..." and it totally blew my mind in so many different ways for the first time ever, even though i'd heard the song many times before, so it stuck with me and became my favoritiest? song of all time. not just fave opeth song, but fave song. putting master's apprentices at #2. and then when they did the roundhouse tapes i was like, omfg, totally knocked out of my shit, cause i never thought they would play that song live. i kinda would've loved to hear lopez's take on it but i love the work axe did. now i want to hear them play black rose immortal, esp with the new lineup! that would be so kick ass! :headbang: ok i'm done.

acutally i can drive better stoned than sober.
and i just wanted to show my appreciation for this gem from opeth's past...

no, i just happened to gain a deeper appreciation of TNATSW whilst i was stoned. ok i'm sorry for creating another shit thread, i just wanted to share my love of the song, that's all.

vivoren (sorry i can't do the umlat thing over the o): you misquoted me.

look i'm sorry, ok, i just wanted to share my appreciation for an opeth song and no sooner than i could refresh the page, ppl are knocking me for smoking pot. i'm sorry. failing again.

look i'm sorry, ok, i just wanted to share my appreciation for an opeth song and no sooner than i could refresh the page, ppl are knocking me for smoking pot. i'm sorry. failing again.

no they are knocking you for driving while stoned, which you should seriously stop doing

that being said, the night and the silent water is indeed a brilliant song, one of the highlights on morningrise

that's all i wanted to say, that it was a beautilful song, probably one of opeth's greatest, watershed notwithstanding. i can drive prefectly well while under the influence of marijuana, certain drugs do not always affect everybody in the same manner.

that's all i wanted to say, that it was a beautilful song, probably one of opeth's greatest, watershed notwithstanding. i can drive prefectly well while under the influence of marijuana, certain drugs do not always affect everybody in the same manner.

No, you think you can drive perfectly well while stoned, just like people think they're fine when they're drunk. Just because you haven't killed someone yet doesn't mean you're fine to drive. Nobody deserves to die because of idiots who think they're special and can 'handle their weed' better than others.

Well, though I don't condone driving whilst being stoned there have been tests done. While all of these are not government endorsed obviously, they have shown that people who are stoned whilst driving tend to slow down to compensate for their intoxicated state. Of course this doesn't make it right.

No, you think you can drive perfectly well while stoned, just like people think they're fine when they're drunk. Just because you haven't killed someone yet doesn't mean you're fine to drive. Nobody deserves to die because of idiots who think they're special and can 'handle their weed' better than others.

ok i'm really sorry for having to make this a shit thread, but this really offends me.

ok i'll be the first to admit that i don't know the exact statistics of ppl who have died from drunk drivers/stoned drivers, but i can't imagine there are very many. name me 3 instances where someone has died as a result of being hit by a stoned driver. and then look at the drunk driving fatality rate and compare them. i'm not trying to be smart, i'm just saying, there really is a lower statistic of drunk driving accidents vs. stoned driving accidents. if i'm wrong, then i'm sorry. that is not the point. the point is, i love the night and the silent water.

funny how a small detail ends up ruining what could have been a tribute to one of opeth's greatest works.

once again, i am sorry. :cry:

i'm just a newbie wanting to join the group. i'm not good with words or with people. but i know what music i like, and pretty much all i like is opeth, so i was kind of hoping that i could fit in here somehow. i'm sorry for everything. and yet i regret nothing. whatever. you sleep in the light, yet the night and the silent water still so dark.

and regarding the roudnhouse tapes and TNATSW, what does mike say when introducing this song? to me it sounds like he says, "please enjoy this one, it's a doobie song" doobie meaning marijuana joint. correct me if i'm wrong?