The Obsidian Conspiracy Review Thread

Also, Warrel really sang in the same way as his solo album and it personally feels dry of all the dramatics he used to incorporate most strongly in Dreaming Neon Black. I personally feel that this album is somewhere close to 3-4 out of 10... and it breaks my heart to say so.:cry:

Well, you can't blame Peter for the vocals since he just produced Warrel on four songs. I don't have the album avalible at the moment, so I can't check the booklet, but I do think that Peter is the producer on the songs which actually do have more "classic" WD vocals.

Besides, if you are talking about the dramatics in the vocals on DNB, that was 10+ years ago, and WD hasn't used as much dramatics in the vox since that album anyway, even though it may be used even less on TOC. I think the vocals are still dramatic, though, but in a different way. They are still not "plain" or ordinary or mundane or whatever word you would like to use - they are just closer to being so. He uses a lower register, but the vocals are still filled with emotion etc and still sound very much like Warrel, so I don't think I agree.

I do kind of miss the old vocal style on occasion (always missed the DNB vocals), but I don't think that the new vocal style lacks dramatics or is in any way boring (as it seems to me that you think)...

I dunno if this is going anywhere... tl/dr: I kind of don't agree with you...

I also miss the emotion of the vocals on DNB. I dont think it has to do with range though. The voice gets darker as you get older and vocalists in general use a deeper style as they get older. I do wish the emotion from DNB could be transfered to the new Nevermore material though.

I find it interesting when people use odd words to describe what is lacking or what they don't like in these reviews.

Anyway, it's a solid record. I don't have a clear cut favorite Nevermore album. They are all favorites at times. As far as completely destroying my brainz upon the first listen, TGE wins hands down but I don't think it's their best music because of that. I think TOC falls in behind DHIADW for initial listen excitement which is smack dab in the middle of all their releases.

People get confused when they write amateur reviews. It's not so much about what you WANT to hear & it not being there, the bottom line is they wrote some more timeless tunes, Warrel's voice & delivery sounds BETTER THAN EVER, Loomis still slays babies and old ladies & Van is still ridiculous. They are still and further prove to be some of the best musicians to write Metal, or even just music in general these days.

Some of you donkeys are comparing these albums like ex girlfriends. Every album is fucking different you flaming purple dildos. Look at it as a whole rather than comparing it until your brain melts.

People get confused when they write amateur reviews. It's not so much about what you WANT to hear & it not being there, the bottom line is they wrote some more timeless tunes, Warrel's voice & delivery sounds BETTER THAN EVER, Loomis still slays babies and old ladies & Van is still ridiculous. They are still and further prove to be some of the best musicians to write Metal, or even just music in general these days.

Some of you donkeys are comparing these albums like ex girlfriends. Every album is fucking different you flaming purple dildos. Look at it as a whole rather than comparing it until your brain melts.

It is stupid to _not_ compare albums since it tells you how inspired a band is and how relevant their music is. It doesnt matter if a band releases a fenomenal debut album. I fthe second effort offers nothing new and only rehash ideas it wont be looked upon as an equally good album in most cases. If the second album would have been the debut that one would have been the standard with which every other album has to be compared.

Its very premature to call TOC timeless after just a few weeks but to me no album is timeless or legendary if it doesnt offer anything new and only rehashes old ideas. TOC doesnt sound fresh to my ears which is its biggest fault together with the dumbed down song structures which I dont think fit Nevermores approach to writing metal.

pretty much.

people think that I'm bashing the record just to be a negative asshole, but it actually because I have such high standards for nevermore, considering they released some of the best metal albums of the last 20 years imo. I'm not bashing because I'm on some OLDR STUFFZ RULEZ trip, it's because I genuinely love the band and grew up with them.

This album is incredible, highlights for me are Emptiness Unobstructed, And The Maiden Spoke, The Day You Built The Wall, Without Morals and Your Poison Throne. I really enjoy how the albums have a dissonant philosophy unraveling in the lyrics so for me the high water mark is definitely Emptiness Unobstructed.

there's too much praise and worship in that review for me to take it seriously

Maybe so - but he did nail it with this line:

"the vocals seem to be a breaking point with some younger metal fans as they don’t always understand real singing. However, for those that are fans of actual singing, Warrel Dane is a god and his lyrics are messages from the other side"

Finally, after several good weeks that I have been listening to this album almost exclusively, I am ready for my opinion to be out there.
Since I got the album on the day it came out, and refused to listen to any MP3s or read any reviews, I needed my ‘alone-time’ with Nevermore to fully get the CD’s experience.

I will admit, that the first couple of times I listened to the album, I didn’t know what to think or how my feelings were towards the music, especially since The Termination Proclamation was the first song. When I first played the album I felt as though the band found the not-so-secretive formula for creating metal albums, and as a person who hates formulas; I was at first a bit disappointed.

But the more I played the album, and the more he and I had our quality time together, I realized that this album managed to do something to me, that I haven’t felt in a long time, and that not many albums could do lately: It brought me back in time.
I found myself getting this amazing déjà-vu feeling of listening to a new album by one of my favorite bands and getting this amazing excitement feeling inside, that only gets stronger with every song. A feeling that I rarely get nowadays… The kind that many people consider exclusive to being young and discovering new bands for the first time. In a time where metal albums and reunions fell out of the sky, not many things excite me about my metal, but a selected few. But having a new Nevermore album that grew on me in such a way: felt freaking awesome.
Here I am in my car blasting the new Nevermore and feel as though it’s 10 years prior to today’s date. That, my friends, is truly stunning feeling.

This album is great, dark, melodic, heavy, pure metal, amazingly written much like only Nevermore can do.
Not many bands can deliver; I mean, really deliver when writing a new album. Many of them fail because they try too hard riding on the previous wave that already washed ashore, while some are living on that not-so-secretive formula of ‘this is what will work’. Nevermore to me, are creating art and reinventing it with every album they release in their own unique style. Yes, I may be the biggest bias out there for saying it, but that does not take away from the fact that I absolutely love this album, and if my feelings are bias: well, at least I get a hell of a time travel experience from it.

Great work, Nevermore, as always.

Finally, after several good weeks that I have been listening to this album almost exclusively, I am ready for my opinion to be out there.
Since I got the album on the day it came out, and refused to listen to any MP3s or read any reviews, I needed my ‘alone-time’ with Nevermore to fully get the CD’s experience.

I will admit, that the first couple of times I listened to the album, I didn’t know what to think or how my feelings were towards the music, especially since The Termination Proclamation was the first song. When I first played the album I felt as though the band found the not-so-secretive formula for creating metal albums, and as a person who hates formulas; I was at first a bit disappointed.

But the more I played the album, and the more he and I had our quality time together, I realized that this album managed to do something to me, that I haven’t felt in a long time, and that not many albums could do lately: It brought me back in time.
I found myself getting this amazing déjà-vu feeling of listening to a new album by one of my favorite bands and getting this amazing excitement feeling inside, that only gets stronger with every song. A feeling that I rarely get nowadays… The kind that many people consider exclusive to being young and discovering new bands for the first time. In a time where metal albums and reunions fell out of the sky, not many things excite me about my metal, but a selected few. But having a new Nevermore album that grew on me in such a way: felt freaking awesome.
Here I am in my car blasting the new Nevermore and feel as though it’s 10 years prior to today’s date. That, my friends, is truly stunning feeling.

This album is great, dark, melodic, heavy, pure metal, amazingly written much like only Nevermore can do.
Not many bands can deliver; I mean, really deliver when writing a new album. Many of them fail because they try too hard riding on the previous wave that already washed ashore, while some are living on that not-so-secretive formula of ‘this is what will work’. Nevermore to me, are creating art and reinventing it with every album they release in their own unique style. Yes, I may be the biggest bias out there for saying it, but that does not take away from the fact that I absolutely love this album, and if my feelings are bias: well, at least I get a hell of a time travel experience from it.

Great work, Nevermore, as always.

That was very well put and you summed up a lot of my own thoughts!

Its weird. I think nevermore has always evolved but kept to their sound. However one of the mail things I didnt like about the new disc is that it was to much of the same type they did before just more accessible in style (opening track being the best example of that).

I agree about the first track. don't like it. It sounds too 'formula-ish' and it gave me a huge deja-vu of "have I heard this song before? Didn't they write this one already?"
In an album of 10 songs (minus the covers) I always start it on track 2...

With that being said, I agree with you that Nevermore has always evolved and always kept their sound and unique style. Like I said in my previous post:
Nevermore delivers. They really deliver. And not many bands can do that, still.
I am not expecting Nevermore to reinvent 'metal' with every album they release, but for they sure reinvent themselves; again and again.

Agreed. It just seems so uninspired.

I don't want to get into another Andy Sneap rant, but my real problem is how few chances they took on this one, my common AS criticism.
But I'm not talking about the production this time, I'm talking from a songwriting, and sound building standpoint. There's no meat on the record. There's nothing that remotely catches my ear; I've heard it all before. The lyrics are weak (come on WD...), the riffs aren't exciting, and the song writing is complacent and predictable. I thought this was 'metal'... where's the danger?! Is Nevermore really still trying for radio hits at this stage in the game?

Suffice it to say, unless one day I grow some morbid curiousity, I have no interest in picking this disc back up.

You know, I don't agree with you Brooks.
Give it a few more listens, spend some time with the new album. I thought so too at first, but the more I played it, the more it grew on me in an epic way.
I think they did take chances with the music, take: The Blue Marble and the New Soul for example... or The Day You Built the Wall - you don't see the new grounds they hit with those two tracks?
It kind of remind me of Dark Tranquility and their album Projector that got such harsh reviews for being too 'Depeche Mode-ish' but for me it was such a great new grounds the band reached. Not many bands can do that in a good way, and I think Nevermore definitely did.

I can see your point with the fact that the music is predictable, but predictable or not, it's KILLER. I don't care if it sounds predictable when it comes to a band I love so much and respect musically. The music has meat and bones, and whether or not it's a Filet Mignon kind of meat, we can argue about, but it has meat none the less.
All bands develop a certain style and sound 'predictable' at some point.
You think Kreator didn't sound predictable after their second album?
What about Immortal? Or Orphaned Land? Every band has a certain predictability to their music, but if done right, musically and artistically, it still kicks major ass.

IMO :p

I would agree with this mostly. Especially the "I've heard it all before". Had this album been the follow up to DNB would I feel different abou it? Perhaps I would. But it didnt and some bands just run out of ideas. And some bands manage to come back from an uninspired album as well.

As I said before its not a bad album its just there and its just what we've heard before from the same guys. And quite frankly I dont feel like I want to listen to the album there is no real urge in me to do so. I do love the title track and "and the maiden spoke". Some other songs have memorable stuff in there but man I expected something else I guess.

I just hope that by the next release they have the courage to explore new things. This album seems like rehash to me and dumbed down song structures which I dont think fit Nevermores style.

I might come across more harsh than I mean to but Im just disapointed. For years I have considered this band to be one of my favorite bands and while this album doesnt change what they've done until this point some of the magical feeling is gone for me.

It could be, that you also 'grew' out of the sound/Nevermore.
I can certainly understand that actually. Maybe listening to them nowadays when you're ina different state of mind, and place in life it doesn't sound the same as it did 5 years ago?
I know that it happens to me with many bands as well.

THE OBSIDIAN CONSPIRACY IS
raisins.jpg
!