The Ocean - Precambrian

Ellestin

one-click buy
Sep 4, 2003
www.convivialhermit.net
This (double-)album deserves its own thread.
It will move moutains in the history of metal with symphonic orchestrations, or more aptly put symphonically orchestrated metal. Though I have little hope it will reach to a much wider audience than their two previous efforts FluXion and Aeolian, as most people will recoil before the insane intricacy of the mix (some songs required up to 80 tracks...). As I have no words yet beyond catatonic bewilderment, I will just provide some technical details, and will post more thoughts later on.

So the artwork to begin with:

mainalbum.jpg

Then a brief discourse from the band on the album's monolithic concept:

THE OCEAN's 'Precambrian' is composed of a mini-CD with 22 minutes playing time entitled »Hadean/Archaean«, and a full-length CD with 62 minutes playing time, entitled »Proterozoic«, both referring to successive geological eons within the Precambrian. The songs are divided into 5 subordinate eras, with the song-titles carrying the names of subordinate geological periods.

Apparently, the concept and album artwork of Precambrian evolve around the early days of this planet, when mother earth was a hostile and uninhabitable place reigned by fire, sulfur and streams of red-glowing lava... the earth's heat flow was nearly three times higher than it is today. Liquid water oceans existed despite the surface temperature of 230°C because of the atmospheric pressure of the heavy CO2 atmosphere. While Hadean and Archaean saw the beginning of the formation of the atmosphere, interrupted by events such as the oxygen catastrophe, the earth started to cool down and first simple forms of life sprang up during the Proterozoic.

Logically, THE OCEAN's 'Hadean / Archaean' is brutal, invidious, complex in its arrangements yet simplistic in its instrumentation, and raw and unpolished in sound, continuing where 'Aeolian' left off.

'Proterozoic' is the more tempered of the 2 albums; still erupting frequently and heavily, but at times yielding way to moments of beauty and sublimity in between. Elaborate in its musical ideas and multi-layered due to its massive instrumentation, dramatic in its arrangements and expansive in sound, 'Proterozoic' is an ambitious album of truly epic proportions.

Lyrically, the album was largely influenced by Brazilian-French Proto-Surrealist Lautréamont and his visionary novel 'Chants of Maldoror'. Quotes from the 'Chants' are interspersed throughout the booklets of the 2x-album, and songs like 'Mesoarchaean / Legions of Winged Octopi' and 'Neoarchaean / To Burn the Duck of Doubt', among others, employ lengthy passages from the 'Chants'.

In fine, their website and fagspace for deeper insight and musical deflowering...

:kickass:

I'm gonna order this when The End gets it, even though I didn't care for Aeolian that much. New stuff sounds incredibly promising. Also, your link to their website is broken, by the way. Needs its .com.

I've read many good things about this. The previous albums I've found interesting but have never kept my appreciation over the long haul, so looking forward to the experience of hearing this thingamajig

undeserving of a sticky thread

Not really. The second CD upon first listen already seems like its going to unravel into brilliancy. VERY VERY dense, so its gonna take a lot of spins to fully wrap my head around it. I can already tell it;s gonna be very rewarding though. This is terrific stuff.

I wasnt blown away by their past stuff though, although I didnt give it much time....i remember it being more along the line of the first CD in this release, which is good, but nothing special.

This second CD, though..... :eek:

undeserving of a sticky thread

When I dislike something on sticky I usually refrain from making such dull-witted statements.

Anyway, Doomcifer has the right of it, the Hadean/Archaean CD celebrates the band's pummeling side, their hardcore roots shining through (especially their reverence for Breach, as ever). I think those songs will be splendid to die to in a live setting.
And Proterozoic, yeah, it's too much to swallow in a lifetime. I'm so excited when I think of all the gay enjoyment it will shower me with in months/years to come! :kickass:

Can't help posting this one track, Neoarchaean, as I nearly set my appartment to ruins while listening to this on repeat this afternoon. (It's from CD1 btw)

Two listens in, and this very well may take over the top spot of the year for me. Who the fuck woulda thUnk?!?! :zombie:

It may be a bit premature, but this may be the best album put out since Mabool. Albeit, totally different.

edit: :lol:

Can't help posting this one track, Neoarchaean, as I nearly set my appartment to ruins while listening to this on repeat this afternoon. (It's from CD1 btw)

Just for my edification, is there anything in particular that you get out of this song that you can't find in a Mastodon song?

I was excited by a small clip from 'Fluxion' (and the dramatic description) when it came out, and then was pretty disappointed when I downloaded the whole album. So now I see a similarly dramatic description (hype?) and I just don't hear anything in the music that lives up to that. Is the "Great Blue Cold" track representative of the second disc? It's certainly more interesting than "Neoarchaean", but it really still seems like the same thing, just with some string bits dropped in the middle, and the end is kind of nice. (and the stupid assholes made it impossible to figure out which song is from which disc!)

Neil

These guys have never really done much for me. They have some really great moments scattered throughout but then the rest is just filler. Rhyacian reminded me a little of Cult of Luna (maybe because I was listening to them earlier).

Just for my edification, is there anything in particular that you get out of this song that you can't find in a Mastodon song?

Of course I deserve to be whipped for being such a cocksucker when it comes to this band but to your question: yes, yes and YESSSSSS :p

Also I fail to see the Mastodon connection, but that's beside the point. The fact you deem the "string bits" "dropped in the middle" and FluXion did nothing at all for you indicates you will probably never dig them, nothing wrong with that, so in fact you'd better not waste your time further 'coz the rest is pretty much more of the same :)

The fact you deem the "string bits" "dropped in the middle" and FluXion did nothing at all for you indicates you will probably never dig them, nothing wrong with that, so in fact you'd better not waste your time further 'coz the rest is pretty much more of the same :)

Cool, thanks, that's what I needed to know. I can now rest in peace and I shall no longer concern myself with this band. No matter how much great-sounding hype I read about their next album! Ok, one band down, 3748372 to go!

Neil

I'm a few seconds in and I already think this vocalist needs to be punched in the throat.

I have that thought way too often.

Another band that needs to lay off the metalcore vocals, or at least take a lesson from Isis and keep them to a minimum...I downloaded Rhyacian and they were the only obstacle to an instant "SOLD!" (though they are more effective on the climax) as the music on it is excellent.

I've always ignored this band for some reason - most likely the vocals - but tonight, listening to their gayspace, no less - something clicked, and now I'm downloading Precambrian and hoping that Ellestin's wad-blowing hyperbole comes somewhere near the truth.