The official "rant" about the most overrated band theread...

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
I pretty much adhere to the "rules" here about not being overly negative not because they are rules, our moderator says so (no offense my brother Hawk,) nor because I try and be some rediculaously happy person all the time. Ahem...... having said all of that......
95% of the time, I listen to CDs, but last night on the way to work, I wanted to listen to classic rock. My area has three classic rock stations that I can pick up. Well...... the first station was playing The Doors. I don't care for The Doors, so I switsh stations. The next station is playing.... The Doors. Man, I don't like The Doors !! I change to the last station that I can barely pick up and they are playing the fucking Doors !!! I had to put on Slayer after that !! It's really not like I think they "suck" as I am a beleiver in "to each his/her own, but I don't see why they were sooo popular. I SING BETTER than Jim Morrison and I don't like the pipe organ sound. I'm a pretty easy going guy, but I was knashing my teeth last night. ANyone else here have similar feelings ?

Bryant

Hahahha I like the doors but it took along time to get to that point but like you said to each his own! but you just pointed out the reason I dont listen to classic rock radio we have only one and they play Pink Floyd all the time drives me nutz!

Not in the ranting mood today... but I am sure that will change by tomorrow :loco:

Boston by far I dont know if they are overated but here in Indiana they are very
overplayed. And my fellow hoosier even though he is not metal John Mellencamp
very overated! He sounds like a cross between Jimmy Buffet, Toby Keith with a little
bit of James Taylor to add to the mix. Godawful music!

I never listen to the radio, so I have nothing to rant about. It saves me a lot of aggravation! When I want to hear some good music I play a cd.

I follow the new releases very closely and buy what I like if possible.
Who needs the MSM [Main Stream media]?

Boycott the crap and choose quality! It works for me! :)

Hawk said:
I never listen to the radio, so I have nothing to rant about. It saves me a lot of aggravation! When I want to hear some good music I play a cd.

thats what i do, but i dont really have a choice, we have one "rock" radio station, but it sucks because the only thing thats really on it is Load/Reload era Metallica, or greenday's latest "hit" :yuk: and they both blow to me, so i dont listen!

11th Commandment: thou shall not listen to radio.

God invented CDs for the sole purpose of having its chosen ones free from the heresy of radio.

BTW, I do like the Doors. Not that I bought albums or nothing but they're cool. As for overrating bands and songs...radio is OVERRATED! Pick any band, any decent band and I dare you to check how many songs are actually played in radio from the huge repetoire most bands have. I bet you can count them with one hand...and you'll have fingers to spare.

I haven't listen to radio since...1985 or so.

I was thinking of posting a thread here to see if radio was any better in other countries, but looks like that's already been addressed!

The problem is that all of the radio stations are owned by a couple of big companies, and all they do is keep pushing the same handful of songs ad nauseum.

Does anybody have satellite radio? I wonder if they have any good metal stations....

wdiv said:
I was thinking of posting a thread here to see if radio was any better in other countries, but looks like that's already been addressed!

The problem is that all of the radio stations are owned by a couple of big companies, and all they do is keep pushing the same handful of songs ad nauseum.

Does anybody have satellite radio? I wonder if they have any good metal stations....

NO, my dad has satellite radio, and its horrible, they have a nu metal station, a "classic" rock station, and a death metal station, and since i dont particularily care for death metal, i dont like the satellite radio at all

although this could only be the kind my dad has, he has XM satellite radio, im guessing that something like Sirius would have better stations

I like the Doors - but I am not crazy about that pipe organ sound at all. I like Boston as well.

As for listening to the radio - I have the solution. A 10 disc changer AND satellite radio - I have so many cool stations to listen to it's not even funny.

As far as overrated bands that I just don't get - I would have to say KISS (I know I will get slammed and flamed for saying so - but it's only my opinion). They had some decent early stuff, but in my opinion thay are WAY overrated. On a side note - did anyone watch "The Contender" this past weekend? Paul Stanley was at the fight and it was horrifying to see him - he looked like a woman dressed up like a man dressed up in drag - if that makes sense.

That's my 2.5 cents

#1_Droogie said:
NO, my dad has satellite radio, and its horrible, they have a nu metal station, a "classic" rock station, and a death metal station, and since i dont particularily care for death metal, i dont like the satellite radio at all

although this could only be the kind my dad has, he has XM satellite radio, im guessing that something like Sirius would have better stations

I agree with Droog, I would also agree with hawk and say that the radio sucks they have good songs on but to many crappy ones, i only have regualr radio though witch i never listen to anyways. CD's are the way to go :D

Hawk said:

That is exactly why my CD collection is nearing 600 CDs. However I occasionally surf the radio (in the can as I don't even have a receiver at home) just to hear stuff I don't have or newer stuff.

Bryant

The "rock" radio options in my area:

a) Teeny-bopper alternative rock station that plays Blink 182, Green Day, etc
b) Classic rock station that plays the same boring classic rock standards that everyone's already heard 1000 times.
c) Generic rock station that plays a combination of (a) and (b).

It's really quite sad. I managed to get on station (c)'s call list, so they keep calling me with surveys. I keep telling them how horrible the music selection is, but it doesn't change anything.

Disappointing to hear that satellite radio isn't playing to the metalheads... seems like there could be enough of an audience to support it. In a few more years we'll probably have the internet being beamed into our cars, so we can access the internet stations on the road...

I don't like The Doors, in my opinion Jim has the musical talent of a plank, and "American Poet" my ass, they are a three - cord - American - band who got out of purportionly big because their lead singer died and a legend was long overdue, kinda like Nirvana....how's that for ranting?

I'm not going to rant over those I consider overrated because I'm going to hurt sensibilities among fine people of this forum that I appreciate a lot.

So I rant in silence.