The origin of Hard Rock

Hi All! I'm a new one here. I think that one thing really important to know in the history of Hard Rock is that Jeff Beck was the first to use DISTORTION effect in 65' !

ElectricWiz said:
Outside of Blue Cheer, I still go with The Dave Clark Five. When I was a kid reading Hit Parader and all that, everybody from Paul Stanley to Angus Young to George Lynch named them as a life changing experience. Some few years on I went out and found a copy of Glad All Over, and I really believe it is the first hard rock album. It didn't sound like anything else at the time. Especially the tracks Bits and Pieces and the title track. Loud, gruff scream/yell vocals, and even galloping guitar lines (especially in Glad all Over...the song). If you haven't heard them you might be surprised.

Glad all over came out in 1964.

Seriously, Dave Clark Five.....

I listened to some samples and am not really suprised, isn't that how about all RnR sounded back than ??...(I'm not a RnR expert at all so could be wrong??). I do give them credit for the rougher vocals....
http://www.daveclarkfive.com/daveclarkfive/index2.htm

sabbatus said:
Hi All! I'm a new one here. I think that one thing really important to know in the history of Hard Rock is that Jeff Beck was the first to use DISTORTION effect in 65' !

Welcome aboard! It's always good to see a fresh face. Have fun in here. Yes, that is a requirement. :p

SickBoy said:
Right on! Especially that headbanging drummer of theirs... :headbang:
As for Stones, I'd say that Jumpin' Jack Flash is their most hard rockish song and certainly more heavy than Satisfaction, which is plain pop.

But lyrically 'Gimme Shelter' us definitively heavy metal IMO, and as a rocker 'Paint It Black' is the most rocker for me followed by 'Get Off Of My Cloud'

NP: Carnivore - 'Jesus Hitler'

carnut said:
I listened to some samples and am not really suprised, isn't that how about all RnR sounded back than ??...(I'm not a RnR expert at all so could be wrong??). I do give them credit for the rougher vocals....
http://www.daveclarkfive.com/daveclarkfive/index2.htm

You need to hear the songs I mentioned: Bits and Pieces and Glad All Over. Plus, it loses some of its sonic quality there. PLUS...keep in mind it was 1964. Nothing else like that then, really....not quite so raunchy.

Nonetheless, I get your point!

As far as hard rock ALBUMS go, i would actually consider Cream's "Disraeli Gears" to be a hard rock ALBUM. Sure, it has the psycadelic vibe of most 60's rock albums of the time, and it most definitely has a blues feel to it, but it has (in these ears, at least) a groundbreaking guitar sound. More fuzzier, more distorted and heavier than anything else before it. I will always point to that album as the first TRUE full on hard rock album, and Blue Cheer's "Vertibrus Eruptus" is a natrual evolution of what that album did and what Led Zeppelin were doing was a natural evolution of that and what Black Sabbath and Deep Purple were doing was a natural evolution of THAT, and it just grew and grew from there. "Disraeli Gears" is also one of the greatest albums of all time. I love that album.

Also a good album to point out that hasn't been pointed out yet is 1968's "Truth" by Jeff Beck. Also has a wall of distortion and Jeff just ABUSES his guitar throughout that entire record. You can even hear it die on him at the end of a couple songs. Definitely another album/artist to note.

Hendrix, in my opinion is another big ingredient. "Voodoo Child", "Foxey Lady", "Purple Haze", "Fire","Manic Depression","If 6 Was 9", etc.

And i do agree, the Kinks, Rolling Stones, The Who, Dave Clark Five, and other bands of the British Invasion may have had some songs leaning towards hard rock, but they themselves are not "hard rock", in my opinion.

But one thing is for sure, hard rock was born in the mid to late 60's.

carnut said:
Well, as said, it's all in persons ears how to define the difference between music genres...In reply to Soundmaster I should say I don't think The Who and Stones ever really made "hardrock"..they made a kind of harder rock music but I guess it also never was defined as "hardrock"... Their guitar sound, attitude and style could very well be the basic foundations for the hardrock sound...to compare: kinda the same to tell U2 plays Metal...they do play harder guitar rock music but never have been labeled "metal" either...Hard to compare but it's kinda the same feeling I get with the Stones and Who regarding to hardrock...
Of course everyone it's own opinion !! (and I wanna hear more of them :)

In my view, the Stones, particularly up to 1972 DID possess the metal attitude, but not the power/riffs (aside from a few standouts).

As I see it, had I been alive in 1966, I'm certain that the "metal" in me today would have lead to a healthy love of the Stones then....again, they were the antithesis of the 'cleanliness' of the Beatles and any other rock of the day.

Heck, in some ways, I can even see some of Elvis being the true foundation of hard rock!

But that's me.....I have a wide perception of metal! (and I know most tend not to agree with me!)

It ALL depends on definitions...

To me, the Stones were the first "hard rock" band.

I read somewhere that black avant-garde blues musician Robert Johnson inadvertantly started rock music back in 1938. He basically wrote every single blues, rock or jazz guitar riff that was ever to be written by The Rolling Stones, Elvis Presley, Muddy Waters or even Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Uriah Heep. In the days of slavery, blues music laid the foundation for a rebellious lifestyle that was described as “sex and drugs and rock ‘n’ roll”.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Depends on what you deem "hard" rock. I always thought the Beatles were the first, although it's hard to notice because the guitars were buried in the production.

The first song I can think of that actually sounded hard was The Who - My Generation. I think that was 1965 or 66.

NP: Conception - Parallel Minds

I think black artists really had a big hand in creating the first heavy rock. First guitar I can remember with some heavy riffing (although still very much blues based) was Chuck Berry ala Jonny B Good. The first ear-piercing screamer I can remember is Little Richard.

The Beatles should be mentioned as the "first" to do many things. Some that may not be really familiar with their work may think of them as pop idols. That they certainly were early in their career, but the fab four along with the "fifth Beatle" producer George Martin really stretched the boundaries of what music is/what was in their later work. The experimental stuff they did in the late sixties was way ahead of it's time.

Bryant

Hawk said:
ElectricWiz is right on the money I think. Blue Cheer was the first as far as I know. Others mentioned here experimented with a more heavy sound but it was Blue Cheer who went all the way with it.

BLue Cheer was certainly the first I have ever see to headbang...:kickass:

Bryant

SoundMaster said:
In my view, the Stones, particularly up to 1972 DID possess the metal attitude, but not the power/riffs (aside from a few standouts).

The twin guitar attack of The Stones was/is awesome, but man did/does Richards and Jones/Taylor/Wood have/had it's own style... little distortion and not very metalish, but definitley a strange rock and roll/jazz/blues fusion well before that stuff existed. Richards was a guitar pioneer in every since of the word, but the "metal" I hear is more really just the chord combinations and Mick's dark vocals (Let it Bleed for example,) not the playing style nor guitar tone.

Bryant

syndicate of sound---hey little girl

i'm not sure what date though.kick ass stuff for back then

other than that Elvis!!i already saw you disagreed with Elvis but he is the King of rock-n-roll

Wicked Child said:
Also a good album to point out that hasn't been pointed out yet is 1968's "Truth" by Jeff Beck. Also has a wall of distortion and Jeff just ABUSES his guitar throughout that entire record. You can even hear it die on him at the end of a couple songs. Definitely another album/artist to note.
Good call and it was a year ealier than Zep's first. Speaking of Zep, the version of 'You Shook Me' on Truth has it all over Zep's version, IMO.

Somebody beat to the Robert Johnson comment although musically not too
heavy lyrically he talked about things like depression, selling his soul to
the devil etc. A lot of those Delta Musicians like him a Sonny Boy Williamson
wrote a lot of dark and depressing stuff.

Bryant said:
I think black artists really had a big hand in creating the first heavy rock. First guitar I can remember with some heavy riffing (although still very much blues based) was Chuck Berry ala Jonny B Good. The first ear-piercing screamer I can remember is Little Richard.

The Beatles should be mentioned as the "first" to do many things. Some that may not be really familiar with their work may think of them as pop idols. That they certainly were early in their career, but the fab four along with the "fifth Beatle" producer George Martin really stretched the boundaries of what music is/what was in their later work. The experimental stuff they did in the late sixties was way ahead of it's time.

Bryant
Obviously, The Beatles were not a hard rock band but according to me,they made in the style a few times! Helter Skelter was really heavy in 68'!!! In the hard rock Magazine(a french magazine) it was classed first Heavy metal song in history! Maybe,we can disagree with it but it was mentionned! And personally, i think that the end of I Want You(she's so heavy) was one of the first apocalyptic's riff in Rock!On the white album, Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey(what a fucking long title) is fucking rock and Yer Blues(ok it's blues) but it's very dirty and hard!!! And the lyrics were not about a sweet love's ballad...Ok i acknowledge that i'm a fan of The Beatles, cos it's them who introduced me to the Metal World with precisely Helter Skelter...:headbang:

sabbatus said:
Obviously, The Beatles were not a hard rock band but according to me,they made in the style a few times! Helter Skelter was really heavy in 68'!!! In the hard rock Magazine(a french magazine) it was classed first Heavy metal song in history! Maybe,we can disagree with it but it was mentionned! And personally, i think that the end of I Want You(she's so heavy) was one of the first apocalyptic's riff in Rock!On the white album, Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey(what a fucking long title) is fucking rock and Yer Blues(ok it's blues) but it's very dirty and hard!!! And the lyrics were not about a sweet love's ballad...Ok i acknowledge that i'm a fan of The Beatles, cos it's them who introduced me to the Metal World with precisely Helter Skelter...:headbang:

I, too, would agree that the Beatles' "Helter Skelter" is a pure metal song. The screaming, the riff....it's friggin HEAVY!

And "Yer Blues" was a precursor to Zeppelin for sure.