The ORIGINAL Iron Maiden

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
Ok, so today I was made aware of something new.
There was actually a 60s UK band called IRON MAIDEN.

While not completely metal, they actually are quite doomy!

Check this out!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Iron Maiden + Doom = Jasonic on it.

:lol: Funny how they're actually British too. I wonder what the Maiden dudes think about these guys.

From one of the youtube links:

In 1964, Barry Skeels, Steve Drewett, Chris Rose and Alan Hooker formed an acoustic band in Basildon, Essex that eventuallyevolved into a band called Iron Maiden (unrelated to the currently famous Iron Maiden). By 1966, the lineup wasSkeels (bass), Drewett (vocals/harmonies), Rose (lead guitar), Tom Loates (rhythm guitar) and Stan Gillem (drums);they played Rolling Stones and blues numbers under the name "Growth". Reduced to a two-piece, Drewett and Skeels playedblues under the name of "Stevenson's Blues Department" in pubs and clubs in Essex and London. They supported a number ofup and coming bands including Jethro Tull, Fleetwood Mac, The Groundhogs and King Crimson.
In 1968, Drewett and Skeels were joined by Paul Reynolds (drums) and Trevor Thoms (guitar). They released an acetate(God of Darkness/Ballad of Martha Kent) under the then risqué name of BUM. When they signed to the Gemini label in 1970,the name was changed to the less risqué Iron Maiden. They recorded their debut album Maiden Voyage. Reynolds was replacedby Steve Chapman on drums and Iron Maiden released the single Ned Kelly/Falling. This coincided with Mick Jagger's film "NedKelly". A planned Australian tour fell through. The Gemini record label also folded (with the loss of the debut album mastertapes) and Skeels left Iron Maiden. The band carried on without him for a while, but the debut album was not releaseduntil 1998 using duplicate tapes owned by Skeels. This "original" Iron Maiden is often considered by fans as one of theearliest 'true' doom metal bands, as exemplified by the lyrics excerpted from the song 'God Of Darkness':
"Ministers of death unite,
The bells of doom are ringing,
The angel of death is singing,
Summon the black God of darkness".

I don't see the doom sound at all. Maybe lyrically. Musically, it's like a dark Rolling Stones, which is actually sort of cool in my book.

This was late 60's dude.
Listen to early Pentagram.
I think you will then hear the doom in this.

Sure, I mean, it's not gonna make you doom dance!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's cool.
I mean, I suppose 70s Pentagram is more doom rock n roll, as opposed to Vitus who are more slower doom metal, which is all I meant.

Either way, I think this is a cool little find. I might have to pick this CD up.

So I checked. Talk about being out of print. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Maiden-Voyage-Iron/dp/B00025480Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1265934021&sr=1-1"]http://www.amazon.com/Maiden-Voyage-Iron/dp/B00025480Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1265934021&sr=1-1[/ame]

Yeah I remember I was talking to this dude and I said I really need to get some more Iron Maiden albums. He said "which Iron Maiden?" Then he linked me.

Hey Jasonic,

OT, but I was wondering if you'd include Cirith Ungol in the category of early doom? The first two records struck me as very Sabbath derivative, but cool none the less.
\m/
RonCK