The Painted Man - after some weeks

Spin Dizzy

New Metal Member
Oct 25, 2002
Oslo, Norway
audamun.home.online.no
So what do you think of the new Arena song after listening to it the last few weeks? I hope the rest of the album is in the same style, as I actually apriciate the style abit more than the song itself. Still, it's a good song.

Here's my two (or maybe four) cents on "The Painted Man" - after some spins:

- The intro rocks straight away, great heavy guitars, warm "floydian" feel to it. Arena certainly hasn't lost it's bite, nice to hear.
- The verse-line brings in a quiet, even more dramatic atmosphere; lyrics that leave room for individual interpretation to your very own liking; a tad too dark for my own though.
- The chorus immediately reminds me of "save me", nice line.
- The lead guitar --- I can't help grinding a little on its slightly squeaky sound, but it's great to hear how John masters the heart-tearing melodies just perfectly - as always. I've always loved his guitar playing and normally the sound of it, too. ;)
Great build-up at the end, a fade-out that really hurts, for there's supposed to come more!

On the overall: a track that grows on you and which I feel does not stand so well on its own, taken out of the context of the whole album. It has got a very dark feel to it (this may be why others here even called it "gothic") and makes me wait for the album with great anticipation. Well done!