The Pearl Room: Gone...

All good points made by everyone here.

As I said, clubs come and go.
We can seriously find something wrong with almost ANY venue.
(IE - Too big, too small, location, bar prices, etc)

I think what people tend to forget is the business side of things.
There are now more metal tours than EVER these days.
Having a touring metal band come to town isn't a rare thing.
Kudos to festivals like Prog Power for that!

Diabolik pointed something out very important.
Pearl Room would book an amazing touring band, and add 3 or 4 completely unknown local bands to the bill. This IS a deterent to going to shows, esp in the day where people HAVE more of a choice in going to shows.

It's no longer the days of "Book em and they will come"

The Candlemass show which drew POORLY is an example.
JAXX club added TWISTED TOWER DIRE to this show. A perfect fit, as you will draw in the traditional metal fans who might be on the fence about checking out Candlemass. The Pearl Room added on 2 or 3 unknown local (Well, one semi known local band in URN) bands to the bill. Nothing to draw in people on the fence. Therefore, if there were 2 or 3 other shows coming up which you wanted to see, then this might look low on your priority list.

I don't know for a fact, but I think a lot of those regularly appearing local bands might be managed by FM Entertainment, which promoted the shows at Pearl Room.

One funny Pearl Room moment which came to my mind....

The Helloween / Gamma Ray show last fall.

Kai Hansen said something like, "We'll be back soon!"

Diabolik replied with , "Hopefully at a REAL club!"

This one security guard, heavier set with ponytail, who I think was part of the MACABRE fiasco, shot us the DIRTIEST look I ever saw!

I do want to say something about security.
I am not trying to sound cooler than the room, but I have been going to club shows in Chicago since the late 80's.
I have gotten my ass KICKED literally in the pit at places like the METRO and MEDUSA'S, which really just employed someone to take tickets at the door and that's it. Sure, this changed over time, which is good. Security IS important, regardless of how much of a pain they seem. The issue with the Pearl Room security was that they employed local tough guys who were on a power trip.

Only downfall of Metra and taking it too the Pearl Room is that if there is no late night train....you are screwed. Plus if the show runs long..you have to leave and miss what you came for.

Has anyone been to the Logan Square Auditorium? This place doesn't really look that great based on looking at their website. What is this, a wedding reception hall?

This is really going to suck having to see Edguy there.

It primarily hosts touring punk and hardcore bands, though they do have death metal bands on occasion.

Definitely NOT a venue for a power metal band.
I have never been there myself, though I have not heard anything positive.

I would think you can get very close to the stage, so it might be more of an intimate performance I suppose.

I think its in the same area as the Fireside Bowl, if you have ever been there.

I've only been to the Pearl Room a few times. I do have a few questions/observations.

1.) Did anyone know if these unknown local bands were pay-to-play bands? Either paying a fee to get on the show or buying a certain amount of tickets for the show and reselling to whomever they could. I could easily have seen that being the case. That would have helped the Pearl Room's bottom line.

2.) Looking at the list of where the shows were moved, will the Chicago proper people travel to the venues in Addison or Libertyville?

3.) As for where the shows will end up in the future, I'm curious to see. I'm guessing that the Pearl room paid more for shows to get them out in Mokena instead of Chicago proper. Will another club step up and fill that void or will the shows be spread around the Chi-town metro area?

I will miss Diabolik complaining about the Pearl Room. Please find something else to dislike and keep me entertained. :loco:

Since I used to live right by Addison and it isnt a bad drive at all....I have no problem going out there.....

....and you know me....I will always find something or someone to complain about.

Addison, yes....

Libertyville is a FAR north suburb. You may as well go to a Milwaukee gig at that point. Not sure how well DOWN and the MELVINS would do. That would definitely have done better at some venue like the Double Door. That venue in Libertyville primarily books a lot of 80s hair bands, like Bret Michaels, SKid Row, Firehouse, etc, etc...

Addison, yes....

Libertyville is a FAR north suburb. You may as well go to a Milwaukee gig at that point. Not sure how well DOWN and the MELVINS would do. That would definitely have done better at some venue like the Double Door. That venue in Libertyville primarily books a lot of 80s hair bands, like Bret Michaels, SKid Row, Firehouse, etc, etc...

Far from it. Milwaukee is another 45-60 minutes north from Libertyville. :lol:

Austin's is an awesome venue - 800 person capacity. No bigger than Durty Nellies, if not a little smaller. It used to be just a sports bar/restaurant until the owner built a huge music room annex. They do book some 80's bands, but they also have Sevendust and Saliva just about once a year. Shows are very well attended. My wife and I saw Vince Neil there a year and a half ago, and the room was shoulder-to-shoulder, front to back. I just saw Lacuna Coil there a month ago and the room was at least 3/4 full, if not more. That's pretty damn good considering they only announced the show a week beforehand.

Here are a few pics from a recent Sevendust concert at Austin's, which will give some perspective. This whole "if the show is in the suburbs, it won't draw" attitude is bullshit. Maybe an underground band can do better in the city, but lots of other bands can hit these killer clubs in the suburbs and do just as well.

It's nice to have a rock venue in the northern suburbs, and I was honored to see Lacuna Coil in a very small club in Libertyville.

DSC_0134.jpg

DSC_0200.jpg

I really liked the Pearl Room when it first opened but after time, it became a place that I really didn't care for.

I have no idea where the new "Chicago stop" will be for touring bands, but I hope to Gawd, it's not the House of Blues.

I have to ask you MetalSpice, what is it about the House of Blues do you hate? To be honest, it's my favorite venue to go to. The sound is great, I love the idea of eating there to pass the line and I've never seen any problems with the security what so ever, and I've been to some crazy shows there, i.e. Amon Amarth and Ministry. I've never had a bad show there and would love to see more metal acts go there.

Only downfall of Metra and taking it too the Pearl Room is that if there is no late night train....you are screwed. Plus if the show runs long..you have to leave and miss what you came for.

There is a late train at 12:40. Usually the ABSOLUTE LATEST a show goes is midnight and that's only on Saturdays and Sundays. Even at that time, depending on what venue you're talking about, usually you can at least get a cab and get there in time. Only three shows have I had the midnight problem - Malmsteen, Motorhead and Queensryche and I was able to make it back in plenty of time. My only beef with the trains are that there isn't an 11:40 so you have to wait forever if the show ends at 10:30/11.

I've only been to the Pearl Room a few times. I do have a few questions/observations.

3.) As for where the shows will end up in the future, I'm curious to see. I'm guessing that the Pearl room paid more for shows to get them out in Mokena instead of Chicago proper. Will another club step up and fill that void or will the shows be spread around the Chi-town metro area?
:loco:

If you were to ever go backstage or see pictures of the backstage, you'll know why most tours went to the Pearl Room. They definitely had the nicest backstage by FAR! So indirectly I suppose you would be correct because they paid so much for the backstage area, which had nice leather couches, good bar and free beer, pool table and plasma tvs among other such features. This in my opinion is probably one of the reasons it closed down, because they spent soooooo much money on the backstage and didn't bother upkeeping the rest of the place. Does anybody even know why it closed down? I'm guessing there was some type of health code violation or something because most of the shows I went there had good attendance, outside of the Candlemass one (too bad because they kicked ass).

If you were to ever go backstage or see pictures of the backstage, you'll know why most tours went to the Pearl Room. They definitely had the nicest backstage by FAR! So indirectly I suppose you would be correct because they paid so much for the backstage area, which had nice leather couches, good bar and free beer, pool table and plasma tvs among other such features. This in my opinion is probably one of the reasons it closed down, because they spent soooooo much money on the backstage and didn't bother upkeeping the rest of the place. Does anybody even know why it closed down? I'm guessing there was some type of health code violation or something because most of the shows I went there had good attendance, outside of the Candlemass one (too bad because they kicked ass).

I heard it was the property that was for sale. I noticed the last few times there that the places next to it were vacant also.

Has anyone been to the Logan Square Auditorium? This place doesn't really look that great based on looking at their website. What is this, a wedding reception hall?

heh...yeah, it's pretty much (an old) wedding reception hall. Which makes it pretty cool for me, but I tend to prefer quirky old venues with character over sterile, "professional" places like the Pearl Room anyhow. For reference, I just saw Giant Squid/Graceyon at a tiny Polish neighborhood bar, where the non-metal regulars had to walk *through* the bands to get to the bathroom, and I thought that was awesome. :lol:

Logan Square Auditorium has a low free-standing stage sitting at one end of the cavernous room, with the lighting rig attached to the stage (thus making the lighting possibilities fairly limited). The closest thing to a sterile, Euro-professional band that I've seen there is Rotting Christ; it worked out great for me, but yeah, a band like Edguy might seem a bit out-of-place. But who knows, maybe it'll bring out their DIY-spirit and add a fresh dimension to the performance?

Neil

Addison, yes....

Libertyville is a FAR north suburb. You may as well go to a Milwaukee gig at that point. Not sure how well DOWN and the MELVINS would do. That would definitely have done better at some venue like the Double Door.

Hey Jason:

Just saw this pic from Austin's site. I'd say that they did pretty well with the Down show over the weekend. Never forget that Phil Anselmo is still ridiculously popular. :lol:

7230_1125964114054_1375680217_321711_7811394_n.jpg

Aww..I loved the Pearl Room's brothel decor in the dressing room area..hehe. That nice roomy area to kick back & shoot some pool was a nice break for the bands after all being crammed together on a bus for weeks straight. RIP Pearl Room.

I'm one of the folks who doesn't see why there's so much crying about driving down there from Chicago..I drove down to Mokena from near Grand Rapids, MI several times when I lived there & it was no big deal. Waah, so it makes for a late night if it's a work night..try the 3+ hour drive back to MI. Suck it up, kids. ;)

Aww..I loved the Pearl Room's brothel decor in the dressing room area..hehe. That nice roomy area to kick back & shoot some pool was a nice break for the bands after all being crammed together on a bus for weeks straight. RIP Pearl Room.

I'm one of the folks who doesn't see why there's so much crying about driving down there from Chicago..I drove down to Mokena from near Grand Rapids, MI several times when I lived there & it was no big deal. Waah, so it makes for a late night if it's a work night..try the 3+ hour drive back to MI. Suck it up, kids. ;)

the biggest issue was the drive wasnt worth it for the long ass shows that seemed to always start late and the sound issues that plauged each show....Christ....during Iced Earths big return show with Barlow singing....the first three songs has the vocals go out. How bad is that.