The physics of reverb

Chaos_Moon

Nov 29, 2010
Washington DC
Hey guys. I'm writing a research paper for my acoustics class, and I thought it would be cool to do it on the physics of reverberation. We learned about it, and I know how it works (in a basic sense anyways). Does anyone know some places to find some good information on this. I'm also trying to looking into how spring and plate reverb work and create sounds. Thanks for your help!

I'd recommend checking out the Institute of Acoustics, or the JASA (http://acousticalsociety.org/).

Reverb concentrates around the idea of Sabine's equation - so perhaps start there.

You'll have to think about what exactly you want to discuss in the paper, as like anything audio related, you can quickly find yourself losing focus and discussing tangential ideas.

So, RT60 / RT30 measurement process?
Room construction (acoustic modeling)..
What is 'reverb'?

I actually like math quite a bit. It only has to be a three page paper, so I am just going to get into the basics of reverb calculation, spring reverb and plate reverb. And I am talking a bit about RT60. Nothing too in depth, and only a little math. It's acoustics 101 anyways.