The Porcupine Tree Thread

[KOTNO]Narrot said:
that's maybe...like...your opinion trey. ^^

tho i dont think that 'arriving...' is the best song of deadwing. i prefer shallow!

:erk: i hope you're kidding, that was like their commercial single for the album haha, methinks most of the other songs are better.

mh, i am not. i think shallow rocks. the commercial single is lazarus. but i agree shallow sounds kinda mainstream-ish but i still love it. maybe because i prefer the more guitar-driven stuff from the album generally (shallow, open car)

What's all that stupid DT reference?
There's like zero DT on Deadwing. Just because there's heavy riffing combined with some more complex song structures it doesn't mean it sounds like DT and Deadwing definitely does not.

My favs are 'Arriving somewhere', 'The Start of' and 'Open car' at the moment.

some moments have a certain DT feel for sure. it's not like it was sounding alike but there is a certain _something_ about the music which remembers on DT every now and then, especially in the drums.

I think that the drums on Deadwing are very minimalistic for most of the time(exceptions: The start of something beautiful, shallow). Very repetitive, simplistic,(but perfectly fitting!) and straight forward. I didn't think one single time like "heh, Gavin wants to be Portnoy".
The guitars are also very different, they don't have this "I can play this and you not! :p" feel to it. Other than that JP plays in different tunings.

And the biggest difference of course, the vocals...

@ Narrot, Shallow is the single in the US and Lazarus was the single in Germany.

Glass Arm Shattering is my favorite on the album. The two unreleased tracks, So Called Friend and Half Light should have been on the album too. They're both great.

@ Narrot, Shallow is the single in the US and Lazarus was the single in Germany.
>> ah, thx, didnt know.
what about the shesmovedon hidden track on deadwing btw? is it really there? i havent heard it yet...

It's on there yeah. Nothing special. The original is better. The only thing better about this new version is that Mike is doing the backing vox.

It's only on the american release.

No big loss, it's really not much different from the original, I actually prefer the original over it.