The Probably Stoppable MMA Thread

Shpongled

Aug 30, 2001
I don't think we've ever had one here and since it's apparent there are some fans, what the hell!?

My picks for UFC 83:

Georges St. Pierre vs Matt Serra - Bad night to be Matt Serra as far as I'm concerned. People that say "well Serra just has St. Pierre's number" are delusional, ignorant, and totally set up for disappointment once this fight's over.
Travis Lutter vs Rich Franklin - I've always thought Lutter was overrated. His BJJ isn't bad, but I laugh every time I hear Anderson Silva say he only triangle'd Lutter just so he could beat him at his own game lol.
Nate Quarry vs Kalib Starnes - Quarry's back for sure and he's hungry. His heart is unmatched, too.
Charles McCarthy vs Michael Bisping - Bisping by boring decision.
Mark Bocek vs Mac Danzig - Danzig's going to be a top 5 lightweight soon, methinks. Not many people are going to be able to stop him. He's seriously talented and I like his attitude.
Joe Doerkson vs Jason MacDonald - This is basically just a guess.
Jason Day vs Alan Belcher - Who the hell's Jason Day? I can't call this one.
Ed Herman vs Demian Maia - Herman by rear naked choke, just because he seems like that type that likes to get behind dudes.
Rich Clementi vs Sam Stout - I'm picking Stout because I like Muay Thai guys AND I wanna see Clementi get his stupid arrogant face kicked in.
Brad Morris vs Cain Velasquez - Who are these people?
Kuniyoshi Hironaka vs Jonathan Goulet - When in doubt, pick the Asian.

WAR GEORGES!!!!!!!!

georges_st_pierre.jpg

Travis Lutter vs Rich Franklin - I've always thought Lutter was overrated. His BJJ isn't bad, but I laugh every time I hear Anderson Silva say he only triangle'd Lutter just so he could beat him at his own game lol

I never saw the Silva Lutter fight but I kind of like Lutter, granted I'm biased for any BJJ or Muy Thai fighter. I can't remember who Rich Franklin is although I'd probably know him if I saw his face.

St. Pierre is a badass, but dont count Serra out. this should be an amazing fight. I cant wait, hopefully my friends will want to get it.
and I had no idea that many people were fighting!

I like Michael Bisping
Danzig was a good guy on the show
Holy shit this will be good!

I never saw the Silva Lutter fight but I kind of like Lutter, granted I'm biased for any BJJ or Muy Thai fighter. I can't remember who Rich Franklin is although I'd probably know him if I saw his face.
Rich Franklin was Middleweight champ before Anderson Silva re-arranged his face. Twice.

The Silva/Lutter fight wasn't completely awesome. Lutter failed to make weight so it wasn't a title fight (who the FUCK doesn't make weight for a title fight?!?) and that made Silva mad. Lutter somewhat exposed Silva on the ground a bit, but Silva was never in trouble and actually managed to get Lutter in a nasty triangle and even dropped some elbows on the top of his head. Brutal, painful way to lose... getting choked out AND KO'd at the same time, unable to defend yourself haha. This is the best pic I can find of the end.

UFC67silva.jpg

Nobody in that division can beat Silva right now. I'd like to see him move down and lay waste to the Welterweight division too. Imagine St. Pierre vs. Silva! Damn, talk about a war!

I was at a friends and just saw the Houston Alexander vs other guy fight. Lawl lawl lawl. It wasn't the one where he fought Keith Jardine it was where he goes in and gets owned in 2 seconds.

I was relaly hoping Alexander would prove he's legit after his first two brutal KOs, but in fact reality set in and it turns out the dude has no ground game, or even ground defense and when he faces tough contention, he gets schooled. Thiago Silva had him mounted and TKO'd in a matter of minutes and the Sandman's first punch KO'd him.

I'm of the impression now that Jardine will beat him in a rematch. Alexander has tons of power in his punches, but it's been proven long ago that having only that one skill won't get you to the top of this sport. I bet 10 years from now, you'll only see true masters of EVERY aspect of the game performing at a professional level. I'm saying guys like Georges St. Pierre, Anderson Silva, BJ Penn will be average level pros. It's gonna be insane watching how good people get at fighting. MMA is my favorite sport now mainly because I get to watch it evolve, whereas my other favorite sports have been around since way before I was ever born.

I'm gonna nerd this thread up so fucking hard haha.

I was relaly hoping Alexander would prove he's legit after his first two brutal KOs, but in fact reality set in and it turns out the dude has no ground game, or even ground defense and when he faces tough contention, he gets schooled. Thiago Silva had him mounted and TKO'd in a matter of minutes and the Sandman's first punch KO'd him.

I'm of the impression now that Jardine will beat him in a rematch. Alexander has tons of power in his punches, but it's been proven long ago that having only that one skill won't get you to the top of this sport. I bet 10 years from now, you'll only see true masters of EVERY aspect of the game performing at a professional level. I'm saying guys like Georges St. Pierre, Anderson Silva, BJ Penn will be average level pros. It's gonna be insane watching how good people get at fighting. MMA is my favorite sport now mainly because I get to watch it evolve, whereas my other favorite sports have been around since way before I was ever born.

I'm gonna nerd this thread up so fucking hard haha.

Hell yeah, you me and Kriggy will keep it alive.

I think Kieth would beat Alexander in a rematch as well. Today was just the shortest fight I've ever seen. Of course Alexander wanted to keep going but he would have been slaughtered.

It's too bad we won't see Fedor and Randy Coture...however you spell it.

Now you're talking, my kind of thread!

Been a fan since like UFC 8 or so, maybe a few earlier events. There were a few years I stopped buying the PPVs but I started to watch again when the first season of Ultimate Fighter cam back on.

Ultimate Fight Night was actually pretty good a couple weeks ago! Houston indeed got owned and I'd like to see him take a bit and develop his weaknesses into something that will round him out more. He's definitely fallen below the hype radar after that bout. I was hoping Tim Boetsch (sp?) would have won over Matt Hamill. Tim's debut was killer (anyone see that PPV bout?). Hamill hasn't proven much to me yet even though he's winning. I don't see star caliber anything yet. I liked him on the show but...

Your picks for UFC 83 are pretty solid! I'm with you in the "who is that?" category, lots of new names.

So far advanced pick: Brock Lesnar or Mark Coleman??
For me this could go either way. Mark has more experience but is much older. He may gas out before Lesnar. Brock of course is still a noob for the most part. Strong as a frigin ox but he needs to work on his ground technique, not wrestling of course, but overall ground. I was impressed with his striking, far better than I thought he would be for the brief time he was in there.

Now you're talking, my kind of thread!

Been a fan since like UFC 8 or so, maybe a few earlier events. There were a few years I stopped buying the PPVs but I started to watch again when the first season of Ultimate Fighter cam back on.

Ultimate Fight Night was actually pretty good a couple weeks ago! Houston indeed got owned and I'd like to see him take a bit and develop his weaknesses into something that will round him out more. He's definitely fallen below the hype radar after that bout. I was hoping Tim Boetsch (sp?) would have won over Matt Hamill. Tim's debut was killer (anyone see that PPV bout?). Hamill hasn't proven much to me yet even though he's winning. I don't see star caliber anything yet. I liked him on the show but...

Your picks for UFC 83 are pretty solid! I'm with you in the "who is that?" category, lots of new names.

So far advanced pick: Brock Lesnar or Mark Coleman??
For me this could go either way. Mark has more experience but is much older. He may gas out before Lesnar. Brock of course is still a noob for the most part. Strong as a frigin ox but he needs to work on his ground technique, not wrestling of course, but overall ground. I was impressed with his striking, far better than I thought he would be for the brief time he was in there.
Ahh man I could go on all day about how awesome that last UFN was! That Diaz/Pellegrino fight is one of the best I've ever seen, and such an epic ending! And even though the fight didn't air, Marcus Aurelio pulled off one of the greatest armbars ever. Check this out:
aureliogif.gif

Man, just beautiful. Simply beautiful. Dude was tapping before he even finished rolling over.

Damn I'm gonna have to paraphrase while I'm at work or I won't accomplish anything haha.

Boetsch definitely impressed in his first fight. Man, watching him just throw that dude around like a ragdoll was almost scary. Boetsch looks exactly like a friend of mine, who's also a big tough dude. Freakishly similar haha. I was hoping he would bring more of the same against Hammil but that Colorado altitude got him I think. Props to Hammil though for surviving those huge knees. I agree though, I think Hammil's way underdeveloped and it'll take a while before he's much of a contender. Funny, I thought he looked really good, especially his striking, against Bisping... but he just looked like a total noob against Boetsch, even though he won. He just didn't gas first haha.

Lesnar/Coleman. Oh boy. Is there any way they can just kill each other so we never have to see either of them again?! Lesnar's a legit fighter I think though. He's obviously super talented and he's been taking training seriously, so maybe after a couple years he'll be a force to reckon with. I wasn't totally sold on the UFC signing him at first (WWE alum is NOT what this sport needs imo), but as long as he's serious and shows consistent improvement, I don't have a problem with him being there anymore. Coleman on the other hand.... GO HOME. Nobody wants to see you get your face smashed up anymore and then your daughters in the ring with you crying their eyes out because daddy looks like a sea monster that just lost a fight with a shark. The shelf life of fighters expires very quickly and rapidly. Coleman's shelf life expired long ago and any sign of freshness was destroyed along with his face by Fedor in 06. I'm not excited to see has-been's in the UFC for the sole purpose of selling tickets.

Lesnar is too big and strong and Mir is better on the ground than Coleman. Lesnar's gonna walk over him and win by TKO, I think.

I am assuming they signed Lesnar half to bring in the curiosity fans from wrestling that would buy in and check out MMA, and the other half because he was a college wrestling star, big as an ox, and had some potential to excel int he sport given time. I can't imagine he isn't training like a fiend to make up for his debut, I'm still going with Lesnar myself, but Coleman has a slight chance if he is in prime shape.

I'm with you on the Diaz fight. From the series I thought he would be out before the end, one of those typical loudmouths with a thug attitude complex. He has definitely surprised me and his fights are always fun to watch.

^ The armbar above is indeed nice! I didn't realize they had un-aired fights for that night.

Yeah, that's gotta be half the reason Lesnar is in the UFC. But as long as he's serious and puts on good fights, then I'm happy. His size will definitely be a factor for all his opponents to overcome.

I didn't like Nate much at the beginning of the show, but he slowly grew on me. I think the reason I didn't like him to begin with is just because his brother is a such a punk. Nate can be a punk too, but not in such a bad, illogical way like his brother is. After that Pellegrino fight I realized Nate's got a way bigger heart and will to survive and win than I thought before, and that counts for a lot.

UFC.com always has the preliminary bouts listed as well as the fights that will air for sure. You can usually find all the unaired prelims on YouTube the day after an event, but they don't last long because Zuffa sniffs em out and gets them taken down pretty quickly.