The Protect IP Act

"Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property Act of 2011."

sounds good to me.

It can basicly shut down any thing that can cause copyright infringements.
That includes youtube, facebook and errthang.
And with all the corporate powers that controls everything that can be a dangerous thing. Basicly they can put down everything they don't like.

It may sound good, but this legislation is actually quite dangerous.

read those already... still don't see the danger in the proposal. although there is always a possibility of something bad happening, i just can't see the problem with the current proposal's text. some of these sites are just afraid of taking responsibility for other's actions.

It can basicly shut down any thing that can cause copyright infringements. That includes youtube, facebook and errthang.
And with all the corporate powers that controls everything that can be a dangerous thing. Basicly they can put down everything they don't like.

youtube and facebook, etc. already do this... nothing will change with current agreements. by request of the copyright owner, sites must currently adhere to DMCA takedown requests.

i'm sure a lot of sites are pissed about this... but a lot of creative professionals are eager to see a change in our information period.

imagine a world where you must go to the movie theater to watch a film, or a record store to purchase musical content? ...or a book store to thumb through a book you were thinking about reading but ultimately just end up reading half the book at the store while enjoying several cups of coffee and possibly a blueberry/almond scone.

OMG! it's TERRIFYING!

actually no, that world was my child/adulthood... and i really miss it.

no book stores in the town i live in... no record stores, movie theater is WAYY too expensive to comfortably enjoy a film.

and i digress. :cool:

read those already... still don't see the danger in the proposal. although there is always a possibility of something bad happening, i just can't see the problem with the current proposal's text. some of these sites are just afraid of taking responsibility for other's actions.

youtube and facebook, etc. already do this... nothing will change with current agreements. by request of the copyright owner, sites must currently adhere to DMCA takedown requests.

i'm sure a lot of sites are pissed about this... but a lot of creative professionals are eager to see a change in our information period.

imagine a world where you must go to the movie theater to watch a film, or a record store to purchase musical content? ...or a book store to thumb through a book you were thinking about reading but ultimately just end up reading half the book at the store while enjoying several cups of coffee and possibly a blueberry/almond scone.

OMG! it's TERRIFYING!

actually no, that world was my child/adulthood... and i really miss it.

no book stores in the town i live in... no record stores, movie theater is WAYY too expensive to comfortably enjoy a film.

and i digress. :cool:

As far as I understand it the problem is that a site can be shut down just from an accusation of copyright infringement, whether or not it has actually occurred, and there's no courts or trial involved. Just accusation and then the site being shut down.
Also, as far as I'm aware the control of this isn't being given to government, but the major entertainment corporations, and it's actually in their best interests to shut down sites like youtube etc. Because then everyone would have to watch their bullshit tv shows as there's no longer the option of watching stuff on the internet.

I'd also like to throw this video into the ring. I've not researched it myself but if what's being said here is true then online piracy was actually caused by these major entertainment corporations in the first place.

http://youtu.be/WJIuYgIvKsc

Has online piracy been a planned attack on IP right from the start, in order to gain absolute control of the media and squash out the internet as a competitor?

This is the age of the internet, and ever evolving connectivity. You might as well get used to it. Your point here leaves out the harsh reality of how hard it is to get the funding to get a movie in a movie theater, a book in a popular book store, a record in a record store, etc.