The Raven Theory - Gone Is The Fragile (sampler)

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
The Raven Theory - Gone Is The Fragile (sampler)
Self-released - 2006
By Philip Whitehouse

theraventheory_goneisthefragile.jpg

Huddersfield based metal act The Raven Theory presumably hope to prick up the ears of interested labels with this two-track sampler of their five-track EP, Gone Is The Fragile. The band have been attracting good notices for their live performances of late, and the EP itself has been getting approving reviews also. Shame I don't have the other three tracks to judge really, but such is life.

What I can tell from 'Turns To Liquid' and 'Hotel' is that The Raven Theory are definitely an intriguing and quite promising proposition - mixing up thrashy, energetic riffs and rampaging drumming with just enough melody to keep things memorable without watering down the heavy, and topping it off with Paul's capable vocals (a nice blend of impassioned, full-bodied clean singing and occasional torturous screams).

The production on the promo (and, presumably, the EP the tracks are taken from) lacks some clarity but is otherwise quite acceptable, with a fairly weighty guitar tone aiding in the aggression of the music. As I said, it would have been nice to be able to hear the whole EP to get a more rounded impression of The Raven Theory's sound, but these two tracks have certainly piqued my interest.

7/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

The Raven Theory's Official Website