The real Dio successor...

I humbly submit Nils Patrick Johansson..

You know, this is probably gonna sound weird to you, but there is just something about his voice that grates on me. There's a very subtle pitch thing going on, as well as a nasal tonality. And with Astral Doors, it's like he's trying too hard to sound like Dio...like he's singing with marbles in his mouth.

That said, I don't just hate his voice. I own all of the Astral Doors discs and do listen to them. But I do hear those things nonetheless.

See? Told ya it was gonna sound weird.

You know, this is probably gonna sound weird to you, but there is just something about his voice that grates on me. There's a very subtle pitch thing going on, as well as a nasal tonality. And with Astral Doors, it's like he's trying too hard to sound like Dio...like he's singing with marbles in his mouth.
Agreed. Whereas Diego's voice sounds booming and natural, Nils sounds like he's singing in a well. There's just something about his delivery that feels forced.

That said, I don't just hate his voice. I own all of the Astral Doors discs and do listen to them. But I do hear those things nonetheless.

Agreed. Whereas Diego's voice sounds booming and natural, Nils sounds like he's singing in a well. There's just something about his delivery that feels forced.

Agreeing with both here.
Musically, Wuthering Heights and Cicil War are bands I could really like, but Nils Patrick's voice makes me hardly listen to their album(s).

However, Diego is 'the perfect package' indeed...what a phenomenal voice!

I enjoy Nils as well, but feel he tries too much to sound like a pissed-off Dio. He's better when he's more varied, using more his "real", more melodic voice, like in Civil War at times. This song Rome Is Falling, is one of his finest moments for me, but his should use his smoother tone, like in the beginning of the song, more often.

Last edited by a moderator:

This international trio play top-notch melodic heavy metal that will have great appeal to fans of bands such as Firewind and Masterplan.

Electro_Nomicon is a band that has proven that great music knows no boundaries. This tight knit and diversely influenced group is comprised of band members from the United States and Argentina that have travelled extensively between countries to define and refine their unique sound. The energy and drive in their music is second to none. They're not looking to meet standards, they're setting new standards. Totally original and completely dedicated to their craft, the members of Electro_Nomicon each contribute a passion and dedication to excellent musicianship that forges their unique sound.

The Electro_Nomicon intercontinental connection consists of Diego Valdez (also in Helker, Triddana) on vocals, Owen Bryant on drums and Juan Josè Fornès (also in Triddana) on guitars. Individually the band members bring diverse cultural musical influences from hard rock to melodic heavy metal and power metal, and everything in between.
1. The Art of Destruction
2. I Believe
3. Waiting
4. Do You Remember
5. Take Me
6. Dark Flight
7. You Are in Shadows
8. New Beginning Day
9. Far Away
10. Pieces of a Dream

Last edited by a moderator:
He definitely sounds better on this track, but as soon as he slips into that Dio voice he loses me. He's definitely a talented singer, just not my cup of tea.

I don't hate Nil's voice. He just has some 'issues' that really start to bug me after a while. And imo he sounds better with Civil War than he does on his other projects. Like he's not trying so hard to out-Dio Dio.

Digging the crap out of Electro. I knew if I loitered here on this site for more than six months in a row I'd eventually get converted back over to some cool powerish metal. I loves me some prog, but, at the end of the day, it's all about melodies. Here's yet another cool band I gotta check out.

Had I known about Electro_Nomicon last year it would have easily been in my top five, maybe top three, perhaps no.1. It's that good and that catchy. I know most here compare him to RJD, and that's fair, but I really don't think it's totally accurate. He's emotes Ronnie maybe 30 percent of the album. Diego has his own thing going here and has his own voice, which is outstanding. He might have more of a DIO thing going on with Helker, I haven't spent time with that at all, but I will once I have a hard copy. Triddana sounds cool too.

Had I known about Electro_Nomicon last year it would have easily been in my top five, maybe top three, perhaps no.1. It's that good and that catchy. I know most here compare him to RJD, and that's fair, but I really don't think it's totally accurate. He's emotes Ronnie maybe 30 percent of the album. Diego has his own thing going here and has his own voice, which is outstanding. He might have more of a DIO thing going on with Helker, I haven't spent time with that at all, but I will once I have a hard copy. Triddana sounds cool too.

It's funny, some here mentioned he sounds more like Dio in Electro_Nomicon than in Helker. As for me, I still think he sounds like a mix of Dio and Owens and totally rules. I prefer the latest Helker over Electro_Nomicon, but both albums are excellent. I like Triddana a bit less because of the style but still enjoy some songs like Gone With The River.

I chatted with Diego on FB a little while ago and he's working on new albums by Helker, Electro_Nomicon and Triddana and he'll also sing on a Spanish album by a modern metal band in the style of Alter Bridge, Shinedown and Nickelback. So we'll get plenty of new stuff sung by Diego in 2014.