the red shore

its a real shame because i think damo was a massively talented death metal vocalist. the bass player did the vocals on their album, but i think there were some pre production stuff of damos that remained on there

I enjoy the TRS a bit, but i really am not a fan of romans mixes in any way.
Was playing in a band from Melbourne that recorded with him and the tone was so fuzzy and muddy that it was almost impossible to tab some parts out.

The only reason i would be keen on recording with him is because it would be nice to chat with a guitarist who actually has his shit together for once haha.

i like the old vocalist better..

and ermz, well.. if they do a satisfactory job.. why not?

adam D has lots of production fans

EDIT: ...but there are indeed alot of cases where i agree 100%

for instance, the new Ion Dissonance.. i heard a couple tracks today and while i liked them ok, i hated the mix.. fucking hated it. i had no idea who mixed it.. i was linked to some previews... so i looked online.
Hmmm, I actually quite like the sound of that mix from what I've heard. I can't think of any objectively bad about it to be honest... Care to elaborate? (OT but ehhh)

I agree with your sentiments though.

I think in the end, engineers care more than fans do. Feel free to disagree til the cows come home, but I'd say 8/10 times people will disregard the mix if its satisfactory in favour of the song etc

if you can't hear the pure mud and dullness and lack of balance and separation in that mix... well, good for you, you must be able enjoy far more albums than i can then.

just trying to see it as a positive for you, ;)
Don't get me wrong, I can certainly hear the 'flubbiness' of the low end (particularly coming off the kicks, which are probably also too loud in terms of the balance you speak of) but I just don't think it's especially detrimental to the mix, particularly for the style of the band.
I'm almost certainly listening in worse conditions than yourself though.

I guess I do usually try to find some kind of positive 'charm' in mixes, so it's entirely likely I do in fact enjoy far more albums than yourself. That's not to say I'm not discerning... Anyway, I'd have preferred if we could've had an objective rather than a personal discussion ;)

oh Ermin you have hit a nerve that's been bugging me for quite a while.

for instance, the new Ion Dissonance.. i heard a couple tracks today and while i liked them ok, i hated the mix.. fucking hated it. i had no idea who mixed it.. i was linked to some previews... so i looked online.

guess what... the guitarist of the band did it himself... yeah, cuz like, being on tour all the time really sharpens one's mixing skills, lol

NOT.

sorry in advance to the band member who mixed it if he reads this.. not personal... i disliked the mix before i knew who mixed it.... it's just a bad idea to try to mix your own shit once you're an established band... it's a let down usually, because seriously... it takes from several years up to about a decade of mixing every day practically to truly get good enough to do justice to an established artist with world-wide fans. it's a major short-change for your own music, and as a fan of the band i felt let down by that mix, and became instantly much less enthusiastic about picking up the CD. i'm still a fan, musically... so don't be too butt-hurt. ;)

But as far as I know Antoine(the guitar player) is doing that(engineering/mixing) for a living(or maybe part of), he recorded a lot of bands here in Montreal since like 5-6 years, so it's not like it was his first mix ever hehe

Oh yeah I checked it out, whoops! I'm not sure what it is but there's something about this band that make them feel hard to listen to. I'm not sure whether it's their tone or general sound.. Perhaps some of the transitions between riffs are a bit harsh. I dunno. Everything on their last album felt like 8 bars at a time, slight pause, then repeat (or next riff). I thought it had to do with the drummer but they've got this new guy and it still feels the same to me. I also think the new vocalist sounds a bit forced.
As for the mix, it's a bit meh too really. Does it sound to anyone else like some of the Tom fills are cut short? Like a gate that was set a bit too quick...

P.s. James, when I said personally I didn't mean it as "boo hoo stop picking on me" I just meant that I'd rather you have explained your thoughts as I'm a big fan of trying to understand other people's opinions. I know you're used to people getting butthurt about stuff you say but eh, that ain't me.

wow I like new album so much! Great compositions. Sounds cool too, very hmmm.... deep and live sound:D? With influences of old Nile for me.

any info about production?