The RIAA's next target - used CD's?

Jim: i'd really like to know how much money does the artist generally get from one copy of their CD sold. if you know, specifically Opeth. how much do they earn from one album sold?

Originally posted by Jim LotFP
"A spokesman for the Recording Industry Association of America, which represents the major record labels, said it is especially concerned that many used CDs are being bought by people who "rip" the music using widely available CD-burner devices, then sell the used CDs back to the secondhand stores where they were originally purchased."

Tell me they don't have a point on that one.

god, why are people of your grotesque stupidity allowed to breathe?

At the music store I shop at you can't return the CD unless something is wrong with it...you can't say "I didn't like the CD" and get a refund, because I think a lot of people over here were buying the CD recording it, then returning it. And also if there happened to be something wrong with the CD you have to get the same one.

Originally posted by loudsilence
At the music store I shop at you can't return the CD unless something is wrong with it...you can't say "I didn't like the CD" and get a refund, because I think a lot of people over here were buying the CD recording it, then returning it. And also if there happened to be something wrong with the CD you have to get the same one.
Similar situation in NZ, atleast at the shop I go to. If you take something back within a week, and the price label is intact, they will give you 70% of the value in credit, which can only be used in that shop (the shop will then resell it as if it was new). If you don't do this, you just have to do a normal trade- you will be VERY lucky if you get $10 for a cd that cost you $45 (this is NZ currency, all you Americans stop freaking out ;)). You can get this as cash, but it's an expensive way of just getting a cd for burning. The shop then sells it for around $20 (although I've seen some of my trades end up in the 'new' section, I keep them in top condition. Naughty shop....).

But this shop is the exception, none of the mainstream shops will accept returns, and they don't sell 2nd hand.

I must say I'm annoyed by this latest development. I was hoping the whole download thing would make the industry realise they need to make things more accessable, and cheaper, but I guess not.

As far as the price of CD's rising goes not many people here in Australia have noticed, simply 'cos the price of CD's here has been bloody steep sice day 1. Except for 'bargain bin CD's', the minimum cost of a disc has been $30 Aus since they were invented...... then you can start talking about the additional cost of importing metal specifically from Europe.

There is a very simple solution to this that anyone that's done basic economics can point out which is:

lower the price of CD's! You'll sell more, trust me, and people will be less inclined to go and copy a CD if they can buy it for a couple of $/£ less and get the shiny booklet and nice disc with eye candy(which is nice, come one, don't tell me it isn't). Seriously, I'd buy more CD's if they were fairly priced, and I'd give more bands a chance, but if you aren't loaded, and if you have the choice between a safe purchase (something you know already) or a random purchase (which could be very good, or equally abysmall), then you ntend to go for the safer option. And I like discovering new bands and new music through random purchases, which in turn does increase CD sales (the "my new favorite band" syndrome)

Anyway, enough ranting...