The Rush topic

Snowy Owl

OSA Co-founder
Sep 12, 2005
A tree in Middletown, PA
I don't know if anyone has started a Rush topic, but I will do it anyway. I know a few people on the OSA board, like C and Keith, are big Rush fans. Hopefully more of you are too! Any prog metal or prog rock fan worth their salt should be a fan of the legendary Canadian power trio. If not, shame on you! *wags finger*

Seeing a whole bunch of Rush videos on VH1 Classic last weekend made me want to re-visit their catalog. I had honestly forgotten how awesome this band is. Of course, I have always liked the rockin' hits like Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, Fly By Night, Bastille Day, A Passage To Bangkok and Working Man, but now that I am older and wiser, I really have longed to explore their more proggy side on albums like Power Windows and Hold Your Fire. Songs like "Manhattan Project" and "Time Stand Still" are just awesome! And who can forget other awesome songs from their 80's period like "Subdivisions" and "Distant Early Warning"? :headbang:

The albums I own right now are:

Moving Pictures
Power Windows
Hold Your Fire
Roll The Bones
Counterparts

And more will follow!

Let's discuss all things RUSH! Did I forget to mention that Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson and Neal Peart are GODS? Awesome musicians! :worship: :worship:

Matt;

You forgot some real wild stuff. How could you not mention "2112" especially "Overture" and "Temple of Syrinx". Oh, man. Other good stuff is "Force Ten" and my favorite "The Trees".

Just a little FYI's

- in 1994, when Major League Baseball held the All-Star Game in Los Angeles, It was Geddy Lee that sang the Canadian National Anthem. I forget who sang the American one, but millions wept when Lee sang with such dignity. They wished that Lee also would have sung the U.S. Anthem

- In 1995, Then-Prime Minister Brian Mulroney gave Rush Canada's highest civilian honor for the Arts. Mulroney called Rush a "National Treasure".

- After his wife and daughter dies in quick succession, Neal Peart went cross-Canada on his motorcycle. His diary is available on the Rush website.

- Lee, a rabid baseball fan, was once part of a group that made a major play to purchase, of all teams, the then-moribund Cleveland Indians.

Peace,
Ray C.

Great FAQ's! I didn't know some of that stuff and I'm a big fan too. I also love "2112", particularly Temples of Syrinx.
My faves on the Rush albums I own (currently) :
2112 - Overture,Temples of Syrinx
Chronicles - Red Sector A, New World Man, La Villa Strangiato, Subdivisions
Moving Pictures - Tom Sawyer (of course), YYZ, Limelight
Roll the Bones - Dreamline, Ghost of a Chance, title track
A Farewell to Kings - Closer to the Heart, Cygnus X-1
Counterparts - Animate, Nobody's Hero, Cold Fire
Test For Echo - Driven
Vapor Trails - One Little Victory
Power Windows - Manhattan Project
These guys are well worth the high price for a chance to see them live, I'm thinking I might have to shell out the cash again if they're touring this year for their 30th anniversary! :headbang:

If I owned 2112 I would have mentioned it, but I have never heard the album. The only song I know off of it is "A Passage To Bangkok" and that is the version I heard off of Exit...Stage Left. Every Rush fan I know talks about how awesome it is, but I have always shied away from it because of the lack of tracks on it. Not anymore! I plan on checking it out sometime.

I saw some of Rush In Rio on TV and it is amazing how crazy those fans get, and the chanting they did! Ole Ole Ole Ole, Rushie! Rushie! Sounded funny! I also wonder why they had washing machines on stage.

And how does Geddy Lee play bass with a pedal while he is playing the synth?