the same name-problem

well since i can't edit my post :rolleyes: i'll have to make another one.

i just added the band "The Duskfall", but someone (Voice of God) had already added them but called them just "Duskfall" so i guess someone has to remove one of them.

ok, but what about the same-name problem?

will there be some box one can check when creating a musician that shares a name with someone that's already there?

I am going to be building in better protection for same-name musicians and stuff, but I haven't fully thought it out yet. So, it'll be something, but I dunno what exactly yet. The hardest part with same-name musicians is if you have to choose one of them for another band's lineup it's hard to tell which one is which in the drop-down.

hehe... that's true
wink.gif

btw how come that so few bands have been added lately?

@spaffe: Personally I find it hard to find any bands to add that I know something of and that aren't in the library already.

And I'll just dump this into this thread, as this is a name 'problem', that's been bugging me for some time: Could someone change Pasi Koskinen (from amorphis) to Pasi (Ruoja) Koskinen? He uses the Ruoja pseudonym in Ajattara.

jimbobhickville said:
The hardest part with same-name musicians is if you have to choose one of them for another band's lineup it's hard to tell which one is which in the drop-down.

How about that the bands the musician is in are shown beneath the drop-down when you select (highlight) the name? Just a plain text that says something like "Plays in: xxxx, yyyy, zzzz"

it's too much data to load into the page, what I'm going to do is if you add a musician and another one with the same name exists, you'll get a page that says "A musician with that name already exists, he plays in blah blah blah, is this the same person?" Then you click Yes to just use the existing one and No to add a new one with the same name. Or something along those lines. I'm also going to add a Who Is This? link on the lineup page so you can select a name then click the link and a list of the bands he's played in will appear in the little window below.

That's the plan right now, but it'll be a while before you see it in action.

oh, and VoG, I got that done for you.

Voice of God said:
@spaffe: Personally I find it hard to find any bands to add that I know something of and that aren't in the library already.

check these sites for bands http://www.metalprovider.com/tartareandesire/index2.html and http://www.zenial.nl/

but i don't think you can just pick bands that you know of, i've added lots of bands that i've never heard of berfore, just download samples from their pages (or use kazaa or something similar) and use search-engines or pages like the ones i pasted.