The Science of Miracles

That's interesting bmwg... hadn't really considered the argument for induction from an evolutionary perspective. While it seems plausible that assuming 'some' cause is more evolutionarily useful than assuming 'no' cause, determining an accurate 'most likely' cause, (while according sufficient weight to other possibilities based on their likelihood and consequences) has to be most evolutionarily useful :)

That's interesting bmwg... hadn't really considered the argument for induction from an evolutionary perspective. While it seems plausible that assuming 'some' cause is more evolutionarily useful than assuming 'no' cause, determining an accurate 'most likely' cause, (while according sufficient weight to other possibilities based on their likelihood and consequences) has to be most evolutionarily useful :)
Intuitively, you would think determining causation would be the most advantageous and when weighed by itself, there's really no reason to think otherwise. However, you have to examine the cost / benefit ratio of more factors than just "is this useful?" For starters, most organisms don't have the cognition to make deductions based upon empirical observations, so delegating their mental resources toward an ability that they don't have would actually be maladaptive and wasteful. In addition to the cost / benefit analysis of decision making itself, there's also the issue of sustaining that ability. The human brain consumes more energy than any other organ and satisfying the energy demands of the brain is quite costly indeed; more costly than many organisms can afford.

Possible reasons for our unique evolutionary development of this ability are our social cohesion, enabling us to evade predation more effectively, as well as gather more resources. Being socially cohesive also means that we spend less energy on intraspecies competition. Another possible contributor is our habit of eating meat, which is much more energy enriched than vegetation and takes significantly less of our own energy to process. All of these factors combined, along with others that I haven't listed and probably many more that I'm not even aware of could potentially have provided us with the energy to fuel the exponential increase in brain size and energy consumption that our ancestors experienced in a relatively short period of time.

right now i'm to lazy to make really long posts but once again i totally agree with everything Black Metal White Guy has just said

Things like this are always interesting. It's a theory, and a rather practical one, althought i dont think that so many videos were needed to get his point accross.