• Pro-Science

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

panzerfaust666

German Asshole
Feb 24, 2007
Kelowna,B.C. Canada
The anathema of religion in metal culture needs no introduction, but is it natural to assume that metal favors science and academic pursuit just because it eschews religion? As I write this I'm listening to the song "At War With Science" by Artillery:

From Testtube to womb a new life beginning
Sterile injected but doomed to be freak
Experiment with life genetic confusion
With Science as weapon perfection to seek

Before - we lived life in pleasure
We loved - we had natural births
In blood - we pay for our weakness
We are - at war with Science

The more I think about it, the more I realize that any time a metal band offers commentary about the nature and philosophy of science, it's generally not that glowing. Popular misconceptions of mad scientists performing Mengele-esque acts of mutilation without reason or eagerly engingeering superior military hardware appear to be common in metal music, which is disheartening considering the natural compatability the two share on some level.

Whaddya say?

I saw this question come up in a different forum, i found it quite interesting.

Think About It

From Testtube to womb a new life beginning
Sterile injected but doomed to be freak
Experiment with life genetic confusion
With Science as weapon perfection to seek

Before - we lived life in pleasure
We loved - we had natural births
In blood - we pay for our weakness
We are - at war with Science

This seems pro-science to me. Whatever Artillery mean by "us", they're obviously pissed at "their" misuse of it.

I would have said 'not science'. Much lyrical content of metal (one you're focussing this discussion on) is based purely on imagination rather than being associated with science. Anything 'scientific' needs to have a factual ground.

pre-"science" (medicine) births is an odd thing to name as if something to restore, given the number of deaths during childbirth in ye ol' times.