Metal rythm guitar layering science

Steve Prud'Homme

New Metal Member
Jan 15, 2016
Hello, I would like to have your blog post , tutorial, Youtube video suggestions or direct responses regarding the recording layer of the metal rhythm guitar . When I have a guitar , one or more amps, one or more cabinets, in real life or using simulators , I wonder by what we start . What are the winning combination ? How many tracks ? Which cabs do I combine together? What mic positions do I combine together. What is the recent science about recording layer rhythmic guitars as regards modern metal (we are recording progressive / trash metal).

Thanks a lot.

I think a lot of people will end up saying that there are no fixed rules. If you go and look throughout the forum here, you'll read a lot of different opinions and as boring as it is, it all depends on what you like. Some people will quad track (4 takes), with 2 mics on each take. But, I think Andy Sneap for instance has mostly used 1 mic on his albums, if I remember his interviews correctly. And others will just dual track with 2 mics.

Some will stick to one cab and one amp, but will move the mics to different locations. Others will change cab, but with the same amp. Others will try a different amp.

By the way, disclaimer: I'm not a pro, I'm just repeating what I have learned so far from this forum.

At the moment I am experimenting quad tracking and mixing an ENGL Savage through an ENGL XXL cab with a Dual Rectifier through a Mesa OS cab. 2 takes per amp+cab (2 with the ENGL, 2 with the Mesa). Each take is recorded with a SM57 and a Seinheiser e906. So all in all 8 tracks to mix.

No concrete result that I can share, but it sounds promising!

I totally agree with the above - that there are absolutely no rules.

Watching Machine Head's production videos you can see, and hear, that they use two guitar takes per channel - for a THICK guitar sound, it's fucking awesome. If you have their NailTheMix multitracks you can see all four tracks, too! :)

Periphery, in Prayer Position, only use one guitar per side but they use lots of synths and Fx to drive and emphasize certain sections - very Sturgis: cinematic and epic.

I think it depends a lot on the complexity of the material. If you have fairly simple riffs like Machine Head you can have more tracks without sacrificing intelligibility. Periphery is complex so they use less microphones. It doesn't mean that Periphery have a weak sound - it's still heavy - but they compensate in more complexity and Fx.

As for microphone techniques - dead on and angled mic: the Fredman microphone technique. I'm in love with my Audio Technique ATM650 paired with my mid-heavy Sontronics HALO. The 650 has all the low and high's you want and the HALO fills out the mids nicely :)

Also, if the song only features one guitar I would split the signal into two completely different amps and hard pan them with totally different effects, EQs, reverbs etc. etc. and it sounds absolutely awesome!!

Last edited:
I totally agree with the above - that there are absolutely no rules.

Watching Machine Head's production videos you can see, and hear, that they use two guitar takes per channel - for a THICK guitar sound, it's fucking awesome. If you have their NailTheMix multitracks you can see all four tracks, too! :)

Where can I see these video's? Thanks!

I think the real challenge is to keep the arrangement exciting - have the same layering throughout the whole song will make it harder to make sections jump out and change but it really depends on the style of riff too.

I generally am looking to make each section distinct from the next, so it could involve where and how the riff is played/the layering/tone/guitar etc to change it up. There are no rules, but if you are stuck, listen to something similar that's well produced carefully and work out what they are doing for each section.

I think the real challenge is to keep the arrangement exciting - have the same layering throughout the whole song will make it harder to make sections jump out and change but it really depends on the style of riff too.

I generally am looking to make each section distinct from the next, so it could involve where and how the riff is played/the layering/tone/guitar etc to change it up. There are no rules, but if you are stuck, listen to something similar that's well produced carefully and work out what they are doing for each section.

100% agree. It may sound boring to have 4 guitars (two per channel) throughout the song, one could experiment with bringing them up at different times with different width-settings in choruses for example!!

Double tracked and quadtracked in the chorus works great too. Guitarists love to hear their guitar(s)from beginning to the end of the song. Cut out or mute the guitar just a few bar or more can make the track more dynamic and interesting somtimes.