The Social Status of "metalheads" in nordic countries

Kushantaiidan

SPASIBA AX.
A great deal of the best metal comes from the nordic countries, and I'd assume that metal would be somewhat prominant in the culture of those countries. So I'm curious as to what the social status of metal and it's fans is in these countries? I have no idea.

Is metal hated by the older generations, or accepted even? Just how popular is it in these countries?

What do you mean culture?...Finland, Sweden and Norway just
tend to be fertile on this domain. Maybe the northern climate condisions plays a big role here. The great number of metal bands
can be just a cause of a chain reaction. I´ve grown up with dudes who have introduced me metal and I have itroduced it to
some other people and so on...
I think as for older people, they think about metal pretty much the same here as elsewhere. I don´t think we make any difference. We don´t have metal genes or codes in our heads...

i asked this a really long time ago because i had some relatives from norway visiting and i wanted to know how metal is viewed over there. it was surprisingly disappointing. while i can only assume it HAS to be more accepted there (metal bands winning big awards, etc), most people said it's still relatively underground and misunderstood. my norwegian relatives certainly had NO exposure to it -- hadn't even heard of death vocals.

That´s about it. Underground is always underground. It may be
strong or weak, but never too close to "ordinary people". If there
are quality soccer players in Brazil, you still can´t assume that
everyone there can play soccer...yeah...

Originally posted by StorTroll
That´s about it. Underground is always underground. It may be
strong or weak, but never too close to "ordinary people". If there
are quality soccer players in Brazil, you still can´t assume that

heheh....what a comparison ....soccer and metal :D :heh:

Originally posted by Lina
i asked this a really long time ago because i had some relatives from norway visiting and i wanted to know how metal is viewed over there. it was surprisingly disappointing. while i can only assume it HAS to be more accepted there (metal bands winning big awards, etc), most people said it's still relatively underground and misunderstood. my norwegian relatives certainly had NO exposure to it -- hadn't even heard of death vocals.

Urm... "metal bands winning big awards etc."......
WHAT?!?? When? Hehehe... What did I miss?
There are no great awards here in Norway, and metal
bands wouldn't win if there were any.... The only
award going to metal bands is "Spelemansprisen"
which is a shittie award in my opinion, and they chose
three metal bands and one of them wins...
The year I remember they had Kovenant, Dimmu Borgir
and a "blackmetal" band who are just playing for fun!!!
They're making fun of all heavymetalbands...
What's the point of nominating a jokeband?!

Every "normal" person here laughs when watching
thosemetalheads coming up on stage making their
thankyou speach in english, because their
recordcompany is German!

People see me as really weird, and evil, since I'm
listening to metal. But then again, it might not be the
metal that does this... It's the MUSIC.... When I didn't
listen to metal I was still looked upon as weird >:eek:P

What was my point again? Oh, yes...
Metal is very "underground" here in Norway...
Just every once in a while some magazine or newspaper
writes about it, but always include the burning of
churches and satanism,
as if metal is nothing BUT that! >:eek:P

Originally posted by Blackspirit
Urm... "metal bands winning big awards etc."......
WHAT?!?? When? Hehehe... What did I miss?
There are no great awards here in Norway, and metal
bands wouldn't win if there were any.
I don't know all the details, but I heard that ATG's Slaughter of the Soul won "best hard rock group" in Sweden around 1995 or so. And I believe Dark Tranquillity was nominated for something too!

In Finland we have these pop-metal groups like Stratovarius and Nightwish. everyone knows them, but the real metal is pretty much underground here too, I think.

dimmu borgir had a tv-gig on some scandinavian tv-show. that would never happen here. anything you will get is maybe papa roach (dangerous!)

Originally posted by Downfall
In Finland we have these pop-metal groups like Stratovarius and Nightwish. everyone knows them, but the real metal is pretty much underground here too, I think.
*nods* I think so too..

The most popular and the ones the record companies think will sell well are advertised even on TV here in Finland. I take it Zeanra and Downfall have seen the tv-commercials for the Nightwish thingie and for that metal collection. Whatever it's name was.

Originally posted by StorTroll
If there are quality soccer players in Brazil, you still can´t assume that

i think you don't know the importance of soccer for the latin people to say something like that ;)