The Sonata Arctica Thread

You did not like 'In The Dark, Nothing More, In My Eyes You're A Giant, or Everything Fades To Gray (Full Version)'?

I didn't have "In The Dark, Nothing More" on my album, "In My Eyes" is just a mediocre rock song (Tony DRONES verses he used to SING), "Everything Fades" is mehhh... and even if they were good, they come too LATE after "Breathing," "Zeroes," "The Dead Skin," and "Juliet" just bring the energy to a screeching halt.

I swear Elias and Marko are playing the exact same things in every single song on the second two thirds of the album, too. There's not a single lick that sticks in my memory. Listen to the pathetic excuse for a "solo" on "In My Eyes..." it sounds like they just got bored and decided to hit the same note several dozen times in a row. What happened to these guys?

Maybe I have terrible taste. I don't know. I just miss the old Sonata.

EDIT: As I finish listening to "In My Eyes," the next song to launch is "Blank File" (last song of "Days" -> first song of "Ecliptica") and it's just night and freaking day.

Zeroes, The Dead Skin, and Juliet all have a ton of energy! The only song that might be a drag on that album is Breathing, since it's definitely not on the same level as Replica or Tallulah, but man, Days of Grays is *full* of energy. No Dream Can Heal A Broken Heart is a great composition :p

I'm serious, the only gripe I've ever heard about Zeroes is the 'dancing on the borderline' intro. And I don't even think that's bad... I actually like it! I think it's a wonderful tune.

Going to have to step in in support of Zeroes here as well, I'm afraid! Think it's a fantastic tune.
I really enjoy pretty much all SA from old to new. Even though Unia was a bit of a blip, it still had some cracking tracks on it which certainly saved it for me.

Blatant SA fanboy here, can't wait to see them in... 17 days!!!

Have a good time, Mole! Seen them twice, had a blast both times. Setlist controversies aside, Tony's a great frontman and they put on a really fun show.

Love Elliptica and Silence. Absolutely worship Winterheart's Guild and Reckoning Night. Unia has it's moments but most of the songs don't really go anywhere. Days of Greys is just so...average. I can't even hate the album. It just bores the living bejeebies out of me. And yes, I was downright pissed off the last time I saw them and got an earful of the 2 most recent albums...

Love Sonata Arctica and they are one of my favourite bands

Got into them by downloading the 1st few tracks of Winterheart's Guild (their newest album at the time). Almost instantly went and bought the album, followed by their earlier stuff.

Really enjoy all the albums, so naming a favourite is difficult. If forced to pick, I'd probably go for Silence, mainly for the whole SA showcase available on the album. The mixture of light/dark songs and themes and fast/slow songs. The slightly different approach that came about on Unia took a couple of listens to get used to, same with Days of Grays

Again, for the same reasons, naming a favourite song is impossible as well. It'd probably be a whole list of songs, the arrangement of which will depend on mood, but End of this Chapter would be high up on the list

Also I've had The Cage set as my ringtone ever since I got my latest phone a couple of years back, so I get to hear the keyboard solo whenever anyone calls me

Sonata Arctica is great! I love their style. The first song I remember hearing was "Wolf and Raven" and it's still one of my favorites. I also like "My Land" and "San Sebastian".

I didn't know about most of those remakes though..... I only heard the "Wolf and Raven" and "San Sebastian" ones.... I love when bands do remakes and other things to original songs. I must get on this!

the only gripe I've ever heard about Zeroes is the 'dancing on the borderline' intro. And I don't even think that's bad... I actually like it! I think it's a wonderful tune.

:guh:

Having gone back over the last few days and listened to everything they've ever done I need to give a lot more love to Unia than I had previously. It's...well...it's still a bad Sonata album for me...but that means it's a good album compared to other bands :)