The Tune Bot first impressions thread

Loren Littlejohn

Lover of all boobage.
Well I picked one of these up yesterday and here are my thoughts on it.

I'm just tuning a cheap tama metal works 13" snare. The head on the top is around a couple weeks old and the bottom head is still in really good shape so I didn't replace it.

Doesn't matter about the bottom head anyways, when I checked it with the tune bot it was in tune. :) This head ended up being +/- .2 Hz at any given lug.

Anyhow the top head:

Started with a pitch of 338.4Hz at lug one (8 lug).

Anyhow, for some reason I had to be satisfied with a variance of +/- .4 Hz. I just couldn't seem to get everything exact. This was after measuring and placing a small x at a distance of around an inch into the head from the lug.

So I'm thinking it might be a limitation of the drum and not the tune bot. When Sal gets back from playing with Staind I'll try to get over and try it on some drums with cast hoops instead of my flanged hoops as I think it might be a little easier to get it exact.

Does it sound good though afterwords? Yes most definitely, and my ears are not trained enough to hear a difference of +/- .4Hz.

thanks for the first feedback. did you buy from guitar center?
read they're the only lace to buy from. however, I couldn't find the tune bot with the search.
mind pointing me to the link? thanks.
how fast would you say is the precess of tuning one head?

I have heard through the vine that the Tune Bot won't be available everywhere till April (shitty).

I ended up getting the last one that my GC had, I hear they are difficult to find on the west coast as well.

I would say it still took me around 10 mins to tune the snare, but this might have to do with the fact that I decided to give myself a challenge and throw the thing out of tune as well as I could (I wanted to see how long it would take to tune a new head, even though this was a slightly used head).

Have not tried it on toms or kick drum yet but plan to. This was just my initial reaction. According to Tune Bot's facebook you can get within +/-.1Hz on nicer drums with cast hoops.