The Twilight is My Robe

Duvall

Ia!
Jun 13, 2001
Toronto
duvall.lanimal.net
Okay.. I'm terrible, I know. But recently (and most since I started smoking a lot more weed) I've discovered what a fucking incredible album Orchid is. I listen to it pretty much every night, and it's supplanted almost all other albums in my collection. The only thing that gets even nearly as much play is Lateralus.

Anyway, I'd fallen in love with Forest of October because of the live video I have of it. But that pesky little (?) song right after it kept drawing my attention away.

This song is just incredible. The emotion and imagery is phenomenal. I love how the level of intensity is so carefully measured in each measure, the slides and bends caressing each other until everything is thrown into a tumult. I can't get enough of this song.

I think the sheer brilliance is evident from the last acoustic section. It's slow and deliberate. Sincere and delicate. It draws you in, and holds you down as the drums kick in, and the solo starts.

Now I'd always considered Slash's solos to be the most memorable solos I'd ever heard. They were like little songs unto themselves. After giving some of the Orchid solos a better listen, I believe them to be more melodic, visual, and downright incredible than many of the solos I held so highly not that long ago. The way the guitars trade off just carries you along.. and it's a crying shame the song has to end so soon. You just want to hear those miraculous notes over and over.. I actually go back and listen to the solo again usually.

Damn.. okay, enough ranting. Anyone else want to share what they think is an incredible song, and perhaps (please?) go into detail as to why? OR, if they hate this song.. give reasons why.

The Amen Corner

The madrigal plays softly, just as you doze and sink into this world, this story, then likea battering ram, The Amen Corner punches you in the face with one of the heaviest and catchiest riffs in any opeth song. This highly underated song continues to pound it's way to the finally to "the demon of the fall", then to relax in an almost confused yet serene state, only to be once again torn apart by the fallowing song that everybody loves.

Originally posted by Duvall
Okay.. I'm terrible, I know. But recently (and most since I started smoking a lot more weed) I've discovered what a fucking incredible album Orchid is. I listen to it pretty much every night, and it's supplanted almost all other albums in my collection. The only thing that gets even nearly as much play is Lateralus.

Anyway, I'd fallen in love with Forest of October because of the live video I have of it. But that pesky little (?) song right after it kept drawing my attention away.

This song is just incredible. The emotion and imagery is phenomenal. I love how the level of intensity is so carefully measured in each measure, the slides and bends caressing each other until everything is thrown into a tumult. I can't get enough of this song.

I think the sheer brilliance is evident from the last acoustic section. It's slow and deliberate. Sincere and delicate. It draws you in, and holds you down as the drums kick in, and the solo starts.

Now I'd always considered Slash's solos to be the most memorable solos I'd ever heard. They were like little songs unto themselves. After giving some of the Orchid solos a better listen, I believe them to be more melodic, visual, and downright incredible than many of the solos I held so highly not that long ago. The way the guitars trade off just carries you along.. and it's a crying shame the song has to end so soon. You just want to hear those miraculous notes over and over.. I actually go back and listen to the solo again usually.

Damn.. okay, enough ranting. Anyone else want to share what they think is an incredible song, and perhaps (please?) go into detail as to why? OR, if they hate this song.. give reasons why.

Great.
I've gone to great lengths at praising Orchid. Twilight is certainly one of the best 2 songs (mist being the other).

Hmm, off Orchid, I personally prefer Under the Weeping Moon; that song is terribly haunting. Off MAYH I love The Amen Corner --- by far Opeth's heaviest. I like When as well -- the part with "And I cried..." especially. But no Opeth song for me can beat The Leper Affinity. Oh, man, what an epic...

I'd have to agree. The Twilight... is definitely on my top 5 favorite Opeth songs list. Orchid as a whole is absolutely incredible. I've always thought the solos on Orchid are the best and most memorable that Opeth has ever done.

my favourite opeth song is under the weeping moon, it just seems perfect in every way, it really is epic, seems to take you on a journey, maybe its because it was the first opeth song i ever heard, also orchid is my favourite album, it has a consistency and flows beautifully from one song to the next, it leaves me more satisfied than any other opeth album

Under the Weeping Moon indeed is amazing. I get shivers every time I listen to it. Especially after the long acoustic period. I actully like it as well. At first I didn't like it very much, but now it's very enjoyable.

Rsettled, im gonna purchase Orchid tomorrow! You people have convinced me!

The drapery Falls is probably my favourite Opeth song. The first half of it is so melodic and progressive, and the latter half is as furious and as heavy as they come. To me that is their ultimate epic!