The Twilight Is My Robe

Onan

May 2, 2001
Tel-Mond, Israel
www.geocities.com
is it just me, or is the acoustic part (fourth verse, the one with completely clean vocals) in The Twilight Is My Robe is seriously fucked up?

p.s. also, a thought - is this song about god and religion?

To me it's pretty normal, maybe because I have heard this song so many times. I can't recall my first impression of the song. Its a lot slower than most acoustic, clean vocal parts in Opeth songs, maybe thats the reason you think this?

i think that it seems like a normal part to me is because it is my favorite song and i listen to it constantly.....although i pay careful attention to it, i never really thought of it as messed up at all....best part is when mikael's voice climaxes at "to breathe"!!!!! gets me everytime

For me, it would have been the best song hadn't it been for the opening, and the Maidenish bass part (however, the part directly following the bass lead is my favorite Opeth-part).

What's more fucked up is the long part in Under the Weeping Moon where there's an acoustic guitar playing the same little riff over and over while lots of crazy guitar noises are made... I dunno about the rest of you but that part where he's just scratching the strings is, in my opinion, the worst thing Opeth has ever done.

I'm sure I'll get lots of "Oh, but it's so atmospheric" or "It represents blah blah," but I still think it's uncool.

Anyway, I just had to say that, because it's the ONLY thing Opeth has ever done that I disliked :)

Originally posted by Soul Forlorn
I've always thought that was the best thing about Orchid: the fact that is a bit more raw and a bit more unpolished. To me that adds more to the emotion and atmosphere of the album.

I totally agree with Soul Forlorn. Of all the albums Opeth has released, I like Orchid the most (well, DUH! My nick is 'Orchid'.. how lame is that. :p) because of all the small "glitches" and different things; one good example being the "Under The Weeping Moon" acoustic riff with weird guitar sounds. I love it.

Originally posted by: Metalmaster
For me, it would have been the best song hadn't it been for the opening, and the Maidenish bass part (however, the part directly following the bass lead is my favorite Opeth-part).

you're talking about the part at the about the 5:40 mark right?? Metalmaster.......i dont think i have loved anything more in my life than being able to listen to those about 30 seconds.....it absolutely takes my breath away!!!!!!