the USA thread -

I don't take offense, but I do want to respond. Without getting too personal, a full-blown affair has/had affected me (though it didn't involve me directly [I wasn't a participant], it did involve some very close family members, if you really, really want me to clarify, I can, I'm not embarrassed I'd just prefer not to). Coincidentally or not, the affair was discovered and the repercussions were felt around the time the Clinton scandle was being publicized. Now, I was only speaking for myself. I'm sure many people forgive full-blown affairs (or blowjobs), but I (at this point in my life) don't know if I could. I understand that fully qualifies as bias, but:

I doubt the public shares my perspective (especially because what happened to me was a somewhat unusual circumstance), but I was speaking only for myself, and those close to me who's opinions I am sure of. I don't think she is detestable or a bad person. I respect her choices, I just don't necessarily agree with them. Just as I respect your opinion - I mean, I do understand what you mean.

Basically I have a problem with it on a base level. Without going too far into psychoanalysis of myself, I'll move on.

As far as pure politics, she's using Bill like a walking billboard (pun a little bit intended). Bill isn't running for president again. I do understand its his choice, and I completely understand and applaud her for using the resources available to drive her campaign home (Bill didn't have an ex-president for a wife). I think its a great use of resources on her part and I'd do the same in her circumstance. However, my contention is with what I don't see: publicly, a lot of love, affection, etc. that would give any evidence to your example. This probably is just my level of political exposure (I do care about what goes on, but I'm not a political science major and I usually just read articles, I don't watch a ton of news or videos, just a few - maybe one or two a day). I sure don't want to see them making out (*shudders*), but I don't see much love. Definitely mutual respect, but not a lot of love, which I equate to what Clinton is trying to express in your quote. That compounds the issue, because a large portion of the campaign (too large, I think, almost as important as the issues if not as) is about public image, and it looks to me like she's using him.

However, I can't speak about them and how they interact away from publicity. They could have a great marriage, they could hate each other as far as I know. Personally, I don't really care.

However, I disagree that it is sexist (at least in my circumstance). I don't care what gender Clinton is, its what she did, and what she shows that bothers me (as I hopefully explained well enough above). If a guy did it, I wouldn't respect him any more or any less. I disagree with it in principle, not as a personal affront. I don't think there are any sexist motives involved in that at all.

Could you give an example?

I know this was a damn lot to read through, so if you need clarification just say so. I'm really not trying to be argumentative, just show you where I'm coming from (and hopefully I'm not coming off as an egomaniacal asshole :p).
Simply judging her based on how she handles her marriage seems sexist in that subconscious, pernicious way (I can't think of any male candidate whose marriage has been scrutinized), but then to somehow blame the victim of an affair for her response to it and to assume she must have dubious intentions is an example of the absurd double standard powerful females are held to: She can't be too strong because then she's a bitch -- and, in this case, a power-hungry, self-interested bitch -- but she also can't have moments of weakness because then she's too "emotional" (and other such negative traits still attached to females) to serve.

And, for the record, this is coming from someone who can't stand feminazis, or anyone who enjoys playing the victim for that matter.

You say your opinion is shaped by being exposed to affairs. (I have plenty of my own experience in that regard, both with couples who should've broken up as a result and with couples who worked through it and stayed together happily for the same reasons that Hillary described. But that's for another thread.) OK, so you personally don't think you would tolerate being cheated on, and you find it hard to respect people who do tolerate it. Fine. But then you make a giant leap to assume it was for her own political gain. And it's not just you who makes that argument; Fox News pundits and those other sacks of shit like Chris Matthews repeat it over and over as if it were fact.

Also, analyzing how much they love each other by, if not kissing, what?, their body language? (do they stand disproportionately farther apart from each other than the other candidate couples? um, i don't think so? wtf is going on here?) during public, professional events seems absolutely bizarre.

And as for her "using him" to campaign for her, what other candidate's spouse isn't out there on the campaign trail? The Republican candidates never miss an opportunity to extol their constituents' favorite traits in their wives: beauty, charm, reticence, child-rearing abilities, etc. Obama self-effacingly (in a totally calculated, affected way) admits to Michelle scolding him or correcting him or advising him. John Edwards' wife is fucking DYING OF CANCER, yet he dragged her out on the campaign trail with him, rather than quietly spending her last few months alive with his family, but no one seems to malign his character for it. (Eh, I just reread that part of your post, and you weren't actually arguing against Bill campaigning with her, so nevermind I guess. But I'm going to leave this paragraph, because it's still important I think.)

Just so you know, I think we probably have more similar stances than I have with several other people here, so I don't have any particular bone to pick with you. I just think this is an interesting conversation. :)

Simply judging her based on how she handles her marriage seems sexist in that subconscious, pernicious way (I can't think of any male candidate whose marriage has been scrutinized), but then to somehow blame the victim of an affair for her response to it and to assume she must have dubious intentions is an example of the absurd double standard powerful females are held to: She can't be too strong because then she's a bitch -- and, in this case, a power-hungry, self-interested bitch -- but she also can't have moments of weakness because then she's too "emotional" (and other such negative traits still attached to females) to serve.

And, for the record, this is coming from someone who can't stand feminazis, or anyone who enjoys playing the victim for that matter.

You say your opinion is shaped by being exposed to affairs. (I have plenty of my own experience in that regard, both with couples who should've broken up as a result and with couples who worked through it and stayed together happily for the same reasons that Hillary described. But that's for another thread.) OK, so you personally don't think you would tolerate being cheated on, and you find it hard to respect people who do tolerate it. Fine. But then you make a giant leap to assume it was for her own political gain. And it's not just you who makes that argument; Fox News pundits and those other sacks of shit like Chris Matthews repeat it over and over as if it were fact.

Also, analyzing how much they love each other by, if not kissing, what?, their body language? (do they stand disproportionately farther apart from each other than the other candidate couples? um, i don't think so? wtf is going on here?) during public, professional events seems absolutely bizarre.

And as for her "using him" to campaign for her, what other candidate's spouse isn't out there on the campaign trail? The Republican candidates never miss an opportunity to extol their constituents' favorite traits in their wives: beauty, charm, reticence, child-rearing abilities, etc. Obama self-effacingly (in a totally calculated, affected way) admits to Michelle scolding him or correcting him or advising him. John Edwards' wife is fucking DYING OF CANCER, yet he dragged her out on the campaign trail with him, rather than quietly spending her last few months alive with his family, but no one seems to malign his character for it. (Eh, I just reread that part of your post, and you weren't actually arguing against Bill campaigning with her, so nevermind I guess. But I'm going to leave this paragraph, because it's still important I think.)

Just so you know, I think we probably have more similar stances than I have with several other people here, so I don't have any particular bone to pick with you. I just think this is an interesting conversation. :)

Ok, I think I understand what you're saying as far as sexism is concerned. You are right, I don't think any male president (except maybe, maybe JFK, as he did have his affairs but they were swept under the rug - alleged affairs, I should say EDIT: and Bill, obviously) has had a marriage become an extreme focal point, and certainly no candidate in this election. It does lend itself to a double-standard, though I don’t think that was how I regarded the situation. Good point nevertheless.

As far as blaming Hillary, you put that really well. I never thought of myself as blaming her for her actions and in essence I suppose that's what it is. I don't consider her to be a bitch (she is a little stiff though, just a little) or any more power hungry than any other candidate (although Ron Paul may be more power hungry :p).

I guess the irony is that I am sympathetic to her emotional side, and resentful towards her political side. I think that also influences my opinion, because I think that she would be strong enough to do this presidential run on her own, even without the backing of Bill. I think everything else (involving my previously stated opinion pertaining to this topic) extends from there. Essentially I’m saying that her actions look hollow to me because it looked to me like she suspended her feelings and continued the relationship, and in turn is politically in a better place now than she would be if she were alone. That in turn, coupled with her demeanor (see below), influenced me. That's not to say I expected her to baw and scream and curse, in short, raise hell over it. That would have looked bad on the opposite end of the spectrum. Of course, I have no way of determining her feelings or knowing what definitely happened etc. etc. I think this lends itself to the double-standard you mentioned.

I think she’s done a great job of not being a “sympathy whore” (I’m tired and I couldn’t think of a more apt description). I don’t think she uses victimization at all, as a political tactic, and I respect that.

That’s true, it is a large leap of faith to assume that she maintained the relationship for solely political gain (and the more I think about it, the bigger stretch is seems). I could never determine that. Conversely, I don’t think I could believe politics played no part in the decision either. From a personal perspective between Bill and Hillary, as you already pointed out, they definitely have politics in common.

I’m not a pundit. :p Nor am I a conservative, though I realize this particular stance is that of a conservative nature.

What I was going to bring up regarding the Clinton’s PDA you already did in a subsequent paragraph. Obama and Edwards talk a lot about their spouse from a less informal perspective. That’s definitely a sympathy ploy for Obama/Edwards/Republicans, but Hillary tends to refrain from that (to my knowledge). I see it as a double-edged sword. On one side, she looks more professional and self-confident. On the other, she can appear cold and disinterested. Just my opinion :p No, I haven't analyzed how far apart they stand from each other, or how often Obama kisses his wife, or if Edwards or McCain or whomever holds his wife's hands when they walk together. (I did laugh, however). I think I was regarding it from a more textual standpoint.

The only thing I was going to say in regards to other candidates using their spouse is simply that Hillary has a distinct advantage in that her husband was a former (and generally liked) president. I say good on her for employing him effectively. My only complaint in that regard was the “mini-feud” between Obama and Bill. I think the media blew that up a bit, but it looked unprofessional (on both sides) to me.

I would also like to mention that while I can't say Hillary's circumstance doesn't influence my opinion of her at all (because it undoubtedly does), her political stances and platform mean much more to me than my personal feelings regarding her personality and situation.

I think this is a great conversation, definitely one of the best political ones I’ve had in a long time. I’m enjoying it.

It seems easier to believe that they remained together for reasons that have more to do with politics and money than personal involvement. Then again, as far as I see this is a matter of importance in the USA only, and by that I don't mean specifically concerning Hillary but in general. Groups and even most individuals in Europe would rarely base their vote on a matter of who slept with whom and how everyone else felt. Sure, such "facts" would still fill the pages of many disreputable publications, but they wouldn't influence the voters that much. This is not a way to imply we are more rational or less prone to being influenced, but it's always - by and large - a mixture of reasons involving small-scale economy and the mirage of some elusive civil freedom that does the trick to get elected in Europe. Sometimes the calculations are just plain wrong - in Italy probably more often than in other countries - and the result is not what the voters were expecting, so you end up with lots of people not having voted in their own best interested due to ignorance, or being seduced by some sweet-talking populist.

I know this doesn't strictly concern the USA, but I wanted to draw a comparison to explain why the whole debate concerning Hillary's reaction to infidelity sounds alien to my ears: it never occurred to me to dislike her for this reason.

I know this doesn't strictly concern the USA, but I wanted to draw a comparison to explain why the whole debate concerning Hillary's reaction to infidelity sounds alien to my ears: it never occurred to me to dislike her for this reason.
Unfortunately, these are the only issues the media presents and "debates," so they become the deciding factors for many voters.

And btw, what's the latest over there?

I don't have a pick, really. They're all basically the same thing to me, with mere differences in tint. I doubt any of them would do more than the other, specially when facing what might become the worst economic meltdown in history.

I'm fatalistic as fuck right now.

I don't have a pick, really. They're all basically the same thing to me, with mere differences in tint. I doubt any of them would do more than the other, specially when facing what might become the worst economic meltdown in history.

I'm fatalistic as fuck right now.

I guess you're mad the asteroid didn't impact Earth yesterday?

Well, at least it would have been something new. When did the last one strike? 60 million years ago?

Too long of a time to say the least. This past meteor (the Feb. 1st one) was only 15 meters wide. Obviously it would mess up a few buildings and maybe kill some people depending on where it landed, but its not an apocalyptic event.

@the rock: Apparently so. Now AOL is screwed to. Bahahahahaha. Maybe it'll improve microsoft. Bahahahahahaha.

@DC: No worries. A better apocalyptic event is coming with the melting of the polar ice cap, which according to Al Gore, might come to be only 5 years from now.

Awesome. Imagine the trouble I'll have explaining to my (eventual) children what "cold" is. At least I can watch "Waterworld" as a reference, and start bottling dirt now to get a head start.

Awesome. Imagine the trouble I'll have explaining to my (eventual) children what "cold" is. At least I can watch "Waterworld" as a reference, and start bottling dirt now to get a head start.

Actually, it'd be the other way around. You'll have to explain them what "hot" is. If the ice cap melts away completely, the continental ocean current will stop, and no warmth will come to the north hemisphere from the ocean. The Earth will try to compensate, and what follows is the next ice age.

Man, I'm worried.

Actually, it'd be the other way around. You'll have to explain them what "hot" is. If the ice cap melts away completely, the continental ocean current will stop, and no warmth will come to the north hemisphere from the ocean. The Earth will try to compensate, and what follows is the next ice age.

Man, I'm worried.

That's fine too. Cold is kvlt anyway, and I have northern European heritage, so it'll be like going home.

On a serious note though, the last interview I read that involved Al Gore, he said it wasn't to late - yet. This was a month or two ago, but he was surprisingly optimistic (it was a little bit after he won his Nobel prize, so sometime in mid-late December). Plus, aren't we overdue for an ice age anyway :p. Just kidding, it is some worrisome shit. Goes to show not to fuck with mother nature, or upset the balance of homeostasis.

And btw, what's the latest over there?

I'm not sure I can make heads or tails of what's happening around here. To be honest, I'd say not much of what is going on is important. For instance, I'll probably end up voting for the exact same party I favored last time. And this is not because of some undying devotion, just out of mild indifference towards the current predicament.

The NY Giants are WORLD champions.

Fuck the americans are arrogant, if you only have teams from the US in your
NATIONAL Football League, then how is it that the winners of Superbowl are
WORLD champions.

Arrogant pricks, America is NOT the fucking world.

Has the american football team ever been defeated, I mean like, in a world cup or something? Is there even a world cup for that sport?

Anyway, I've always wondered what the hell's up with naming that sport "football", and then naming the real football "soccer". Merriam-Webster says about the etimology of "soccer": by shortening & alteration from association football. Considering that the game was created as early as the mid-19th century, that's just... weird.

@Sal: Calm down. They're world champions by technicality: there are no other leagues in the world, on a professional level, besides what's basically a minor league in Canada (CFL). There was another minor league setup in Europe (NFL Europe) that was recently disbanded. Its not American arrogance, its technical truth until another professional league surfaces.

It isn't like hockey, or real football (trying not to use the term soccer).

Has the american football team ever been defeated, I mean like, in a world cup or something? Is there even a world cup for that sport?

There is no world cup for american football, it exists solely in the USA (see above). The closest sport is Rugby or Australian Rules Football, and likely the best USA team would loose to the best Rugby team. However, a Rugby team or Australian Rules Football team would likely lose in an american football game - the rules and equipment are very different, the body types are different, everything is too disparate to make but a loose comparison.

I understood the word soccer to be an american invention, but I never looked up the etymology. It doesn't make sense to me in any other connotation. Besides, the US (non-american, soccer, whatever) football team sucks. The best we ever did was quarterfinals in the world cup. I have more fun rooting for Germany or England.