The vocal Fx thread

iceman666

Aug 8, 2012
So i've been listening to some psychedelic and grunge stuffs and i realized that they use some pretty fucking cool effects on the vocals. So i thought i should open a thread where all of you will share all kinds of Vocal fx you know/found/made and share them maybe (by not being fucking selfish :p)

Hope you guys respond :)

Peace.

Personally, adding my artistic flare to the mix when it comes to adding effects and what not to the vocals to make them come alive is one of my favorite stages in mixing.

For me: I'll blend different delays together and reverbs and have them as sends that go through out the track. However, I always have a main 'verb and delay on my vocal bus (sometimes it's only the lead vox) to set a general depth in my mix. From there I can pull effects in and out. I don' t think I really do anything out of the standard of vocal effect processing. Like others, I'll throw in the EQ cuts and such on certain spots. Sometimes paralleled compression on vocals on certain parts goes along ways ;)
I'll experiment with flangers, and other sound morphers for a more slight effect. Distortion is also a common one that is added, makes harsh vocals really dirty and nasty if used in good conjunction with compression! Let's not forget DeEssers!

For specifics: Sometimes I'll bus my vocals that have the same delay, but they will be panned out L and R fully. And have opposite settings so it makes a cool delay stereo effect. For certain parts in a mix, I might boost or lower a specific
frequency to make it stand out a bit more or pull back. If the mix is extremely spacious, I'll stick a few reverebs to really fill out the sound field. Plate and long hall verbs work great for these kinds of effects and just adjust to taste. I'm also
a fan of heavy compression on vocals. I like that up in your face sound. Other times I'll copy the vocal track into 4 different ones, add different effects to each and blend to the original track so you have this greater space behind it.
You can heavily compress one track, EQ hard another, add a flanger to one, delay another one, give all 4 a different reverb but makes sure it's more subtle and then blend to desire and fill in behind main vox. This is just off the top of my head.
You can aslo use a Waves Doubler and widen the stereo field of your vocal tracks.

Other than that, go crazy and experiment a ton! That's how a lot of us learn what sounds cool. Because when it comes effects and things of that nature, It's more just about personal taste than it is correct or incorrect.

If you're talking about phasers and flangers etc. I'd say less is more. You don't want to change the whole sound of the singer by having an effect going on all the time.

If you're talking about tricks to do to vocals to make them sound better then sure there are many cool tricks. The pultec presence boost would be one for sure, doubling for a small phasy sound to make vocals cut in that modern way is also cool.

I use 3 main plugins for wild effects: Soundtoys Echoboy, Soundtoys Crystallizer, and Eventide Blackhole. Just buy them. They are ridiculously good. You can definitely get the crazy psychedelic sounds you're looking for with any of them.

I use 3 main plugins for wild effects: Soundtoys Echoboy, Soundtoys Crystallizer, and Eventide Blackhole. Just buy them. They are ridiculously good. You can definitely get the crazy psychedelic sounds you're looking for with any of them.
Thank you so much man! This will help for sure :)