The War Within-Shadows

arc_avalo

Rosso Drago
Apr 30, 2005
Blountsville, AL
Shadows Fall's "The Art of Balance" was a big disappointment for me. Their newest album though, while still not even close to perfect, is a lot more enjoyable. The album starts with an acoustic medley (which is WAY too common in the world of rock, in general) then you'll be reminded that this is a metal album as you hear the power metal-esque "The Light That Blinds". The second, "Enlightened by the Cold" is a lot more Nu-Metal, then after another power song, there's "What Drives the Weak"; which is possibly one of the best songs on the album. It has a melodic chorous; and a hard beat; one that reminds me a lot of what made me like Shadows Fall in the first place. The rest of the album keeps the power metal, then nu-metal trend, until "Inspiration on Demand" which is a lot more like a metal ballad than anything else. Then comes "The Power of I and I" which is probably the heaviest song on the album. "Ghosts of Past Failures" truly has a melodic chorous; which reminds me a lot of classic rock.

Overall; I was barely satisfied with the album, but you might find it to be absolutely perfect. I just have different preferences in metal. If you're looking for more super-heavy wet-riff songs like "Destroyer of Senses", then you should love "The Power of I and I" and "Enlightened by the Cold", but I do suggest Diecast;:worship: for almost all of their songs are as "heavy" as these.

I definetly thought the Art of Balence was better, but this was about a close second.

Yes, the thing that really made me dislike Shadows Fall was that, I heard "Destroyer of Senses" on Headbangers' Ball, then bought the full album because I thought all of it was goign to be as heavy as that song. Man, was I wrong. I was just totally disappointed that there weren't any more songs in that style. On the War Within, there was "The Power of I and I" and "Enlightened by the Cold" came close, but I was still disappointed.

Well, i just LOOOVE power chords. Could you give me some recommendations for more power chord songs? One man's trash is another man's treasure.

If you liked that song, I'd suggest listening to Sevendust. Their entire catalog is basically that song played much better with nice vocals.

Well, I do listen to Sevendust, but rarely. I find some of their hit songs to be pretty cool, but anything other than hits (to me) sounds just monotonous. Do you have any other suggestions?

Yes, I definitely think The War Within was an improvement. All the songs in "The Art of Balance" sounded so generic, to me, at least. I wish that all their songs could be like "Destroyer of Senses", "The Power of I and I", "Enlightened by the Cold", and "What Drives the Weak".