Thee Maldoror Kollective highly UNDERRATED?

Emi

underdog
May 10, 2002
imola - italy
code666.net
speaking about Overrating with Manes, I think that a code666 band is surely too much Underrated: Thee Maldoror Kollective. their album "New Era Viral Order" is a fucking Masterpiece in my opinion , and I can't stand with the poor feedback (both from media and from sales) this album got... luckly there are people who decide now (after 1 year from the release) to write reviews like this one:

Band: Thee Maldoror Kollective www.maldororkollective.net Year: 2002
Album: ‘New Era Viral Order’
Label: Code666 www.code666.net

Title: Out of this world!

Avant-garde metal is unfortunately the most underrated form of metallic expression. Too bad because this genre of music have in its rank some of the most brilliant of today’s composers. Whatever you’ve heard so far that could make you think was innovative or groundbreaking and so on, it’s most likely nothing compare to the limit breakers, the unfollowers of the set paths found in the main musical stream , that can be found in many an avant-gardist band.

Thee Maldoror Kollective is not only a great avant-garde band but they are totally futuristic sounding as well, so much so one can easily feel that he (or she) is listening is coming from another world or planet. ‘New Era Viral Order’ is simply mind blowing, innovative from beginning to end, a top to bottom immersion into the creative geniuses forming the Kollective. Everything is art : the cover, titles, and ideas and of course the music. 9 tracks with 3 themes ( Analysis, Synthesis, Thesis). An awesome musical sonic structure hugely composed of keyboards parts are propelling the compositions into the outer limits of the imagination. The metallic engine beating the pulse is made of one of the greatest rhythm section brilliantly displaying its precision and fine tuning, great riffing included. The vocals selected for the journey are: futuristic, discrete black, samplings and screams.

I don’t do drugs and I’m glad I don’t since with music like that , no one needs anything else to get high and into an interstellar trip! What about you? My favorite tracks? Just about any and all of them but mostly these: ‘Haemorrhage Transmission’, ‘Rythmagik Disturbance (Embodiment Cell )’, ‘Rigid Pulse Starfire [93]’, ‘The Toxium Discipline (Null Industries )’ and ‘Slaughter Mass 2002’.

Bottom line: Now you know the title and see what I meant by creativity but you haven’t heard the best yet!

Categorical rating breakdown:

Musicianship: 9
Atmosphere: 9
Originality: 10
Production: 9
Overall: 8

Rating: 9 out of 10

Denis2003

Gave it some very good rating too...
But yes, it seems that Thee MaldoroR Kollective are among the less renowned acts on Code666 - together with Enid and Void of Silence (speak of underrated... :( ).
Go figure why... Weak promotion??? :p

I really don't know why... we tried our best to promote Thee Maldoror Kollective, Void Of Silence and Enid, we love so much that bands and we believe so much in that albums, but at the end, it seems that we didn't managed to get the same feedback we got for, let's say Aborym, Diabolicum, Aghora, Ephel Duath, Rakoth... I don't think it's a "weak" promotion...

of course! they are working on the new album titled "Fractures in the Spirit of Youth", to be released on code666 next year. they have a new guitar player, and they are gonna change again style, the new stuff is more close to ISIS, NEUROSIS and all the post-noise-core scene... can't wait to hear it!

I really don't know why... we tried our best to promote Thee Maldoror Kollective, Void Of Silence and Enid, we love so much that bands and we believe so much in that albums, but at the end, it seems that we didn't managed to get the same feedback we got for, let's say Aborym, Diabolicum, Aghora, Ephel Duath, Rakoth... I don't think it's a "weak" promotion...

Just listening to TMK right now and it is a great album no doubt. What I do think it lacks is some type of "personality".

What I mean by that is not really in the music but rather of "who this band is?"

Think of all the successful Code releases and you will see that each band has a certain character. Mostly this comes through in their music and we relate to it.

This is my opinion only, but I think the psychology of the music buyer is that we do not only buy a CD but also the band so to speak.

All the sucessful bands, Negura, Aborym, Rakoth, Ephel Duath have something unique within the band members, or history or region where they came from that was an "added" element to the music on the CD.

I think all bands need this type of "added element" in addition to the music and if I was an AOR guy would definetelly look for it.

Having been in sales in the past, I can tell you, and I am sure you know that the "physical product" is only half the sale.

This also explains why sometimes real shit bands sell more that "talented" ones.

lurch70 said:
Just listening to TMK right now and it is a great album no doubt. What I do think it lacks is some type of "personality".

What I mean by that is not really in the music but rather of "who this band is?"

Think of all the successful Code releases and you will see that each band has a certain character. Mostly this comes through in their music and we relate to it.

This is my opinion only, but I think the psychology of the music buyer is that we do not only buy a CD but also the band so to speak.

All the sucessful bands, Negura, Aborym, Rakoth, Ephel Duath have something unique within the band members, or history or region where they came from that was an "added" element to the music on the CD.

I think all bands need this type of "added element" in addition to the music and if I was an AOR guy would definetelly look for it.

Having been in sales in the past, I can tell you, and I am sure you know that the "physical product" is only half the sale.

This also explains why sometimes real shit bands sell more that "talented" ones.

I do agree with you Lurch, but it's a sad situation... if a simple, normal band with normal guys coming from a normal town record a great album they'll have less chances to become "sucessful" compared to a strange looking band from Tibet who plays average music...

Yeah, let's get metaphysical! :wave:

In any case I am dead curious about how the new style will turn out! I am a HUUUUUge fan of all this apocalyptic post-hardcore shit! Have you listened to Comity from France? They are the best thing that happened to this scene since Isis' "Oceanic".

Ellestin said:
Yeah, let's get metaphysical! :wave:

In any case I am dead curious about how the new style will turn out! I am a HUUUUUge fan of all this apocalyptic post-hardcore shit! Have you listened to Comity from France? They are the best thing that happened to this scene since Isis' "Oceanic".

yeah, me too, I love these bands alot!
the real new shake to the extreme scene, I'm curious to know how Maldoror will create approaching these moods with their originality and trademark
:hotjump:
can you send me the link to the French band?

I think New Era Viral Order is a great listen. I bought it based on the tracks I heard on the code666 compilation.

Emi said:
of course! they are working on the new album titled "Fractures in the Spirit of Youth", to be released on code666 next year. they have a new guitar player, and they are gonna change again style, the new stuff is more close to ISIS, NEUROSIS and all the post-noise-core scene... can't wait to hear it!

Now this I have to hear!