There ain't corners enough for us Belgians to cry

Here goes the first (and probably last :cry: ) post from Budapest... Brazil didn't dominate either of the matches. This has got nothing to do with temporary anger or anything. We gave away the match by a foolish substitution right when we commanded the match, and then came the massive contribution from the ref. Belgium gave away the match by so many wasted chances. Brazil were literally bound by the Belgian chains and should have been knocked out if football had any justice. Brazil is not VERY strong at all, it's just that the players have extreme flair. Look at that goal scored by Rivaldo. It came out of nowhere, combined with a super lucky deflection, and ended up in the net. I do not care about the second goal, it came when Belgium attacked with ten men and nothing to lose.
(of course this is only my opinion, nobody -except Ivi :mad: ;)- has to see things my own way)
I'm really upset right now, and I'll be double happy if we make it to the semis and kick Brazil's ass :hotjump:

Brazil struggle to reach quarter finals

Brazil qualified for the World Cup quarter-finals on Monday after beating Belgium 2-0 in Kobe, Japan. Rivaldo broke the deadlock with a stunning half volley in the 66th before Ronaldo sealed the score for the Brazilians. Unlucky for Belgium who came repeatedly close and were denied a vaild Wilmots goal.

The England press and Brazil fans have their "dream" quarter final, but it could easily have been otherwise. Present in the Kobe stands to watch Brazil, the England team, to their great surprise, quickly realised that it could be Belgium after all, so perfect was their performance. All that lacked was more precision in the final gesture, and when you don't put opportunities away against Brazil, you become vulnerable to a moment of genius from one of its stars.

Like against Russia, Mbo Mpenza started alongside Marc Wilmots, and both were outstanding throughout. So was the defence marshalled by Van Kerckhoven which gave very little room for Ronaldo and co to exploit, forcing Brazil to rely on individual miracles, which did come in the end. While Scolari's reshuffling of the back three, with Roque Junior returning alongside Edmilson and Lucio, did give more assurance, Belgium had no trouble causing trouble through the impulse of Wilmots and Mpenza.

Possession and opportunities were Belgian at the start and Mpenza's cheeky lob in the first minute, almost took Marcos by surprise. It would be a question of Marcos denying, or Belgium's shooting just wide for most of the match. Apart from two consecutive skewed Roberto Carlos free kicks, Belgium didn't have to deal with much, and their intense activity, particularly on the wings, bore fruit after 35 minutes.

From the right flank, Jacky Peeters chipped in a useful cross, and with perfect timing, Marc Wilmots beat Roque Junior to it, before powering a header into the bottom left corner. For a mysterious reason, Mr.Prendergast refused to validate, apparently for a foul on Roque Junior, that was not. Bad luck stuck with Belgium from that point on. Ronaldo's karate kick volley after a cross from Rivaldo (39') was the closest Brazil came in a worrisome first half for them. But those two would come back for more.....

Thanks to their remarkable organisation and efficient zonal defending, Belgium kept themselves in contention, and they made the boldest start to the second half. Wilmots was unlucky again when his awkward bouncing shot from outside the area was turned around the post at the last minute by Marcos (52'). Marcos again saved the four-times champions when he dived at the feet of Mpenza to block his shot from close range at the far post in three minutes later.

Marcos made an even better save in the 62nd minute when he turned around a curling shot by Wilmots after he had pivoted around and past Lucio. But just as Belgium looked set to earn what they evidently deserved, Brazil saved themselves against the run of play, thanks to the genial Rivaldo. Ronaldinho's cross from the right could not be considered an assist given how much work there was to convert it, and amazingly, Rivaldo chest controlled, pivoted, and unleashed a fierce half volley Simmons deflected (66').

Rivaldo's fourth goal of the World Cup, 32nd for Brazil, and one of the most spectacular. Ronaldo wants to be the top scorer of his team, at least, continued his goal-a-game record in the 86th, tapping home Kleberson's cross, which ended the suspense by the same token. Ronaldo is now level with Klose with five goals.

Brazil now face England on Friday for a place in the semi-finals, a match we all await with impatience. Belgium return home with their heads held high.

Taken from Eurosport's Web site...

------

To Jan,

Even I have appreciated Belgian football today, so do not stay with a heavy heart my friend. One wonders when the refs will stop doing favors to Brazil, but that same one wonders who will stop Belgium in the next Euro Finals.

To accept the truth in our match we didn't command anything..It was brazil who could easily scored 4-5 if they were lucky enough in the first half..
I think they have everything to win the cup..
Talented players who are pressing everywhere in the field.
Trying every combinations to get a goal.If not of course individual skills open the key.
A very "entertaining" football with teamplay and individual play..
I personally get so much fun in brazil's matches except brazil-turkey match ofcourse ;)

And it is easy to say that brazil dominated the match..
Well I watched the game from a big screen in a very big area that was full of brazilian supporters in notre-dome and I might have been influenced.BUT here are the statics: (from eurosport.com)
BRAZIL 2 - 0 BELGIUM

15 Fouls committed 15

15 Fouls against 15

3 Off sides 1

5 Corners 8

0 Yellow card 1

0 Red card 0

54 Possession 46

29 Left attack (%) 25

42 Central attack (%) 40

29 Right attack (%) 35

And this is our match against brazil...Hmmmmm maybe I am wrong here...Statics show that it was a fair match...

BRAZIL 2 - 1 TURKEY

19 Fouls committed 20

20 Fouls against 19

3 Off sides 1

4 Corners 3

1 Yellow card 3

0 Red card 2

50 Possession 50

35 Left attack (%) 25

43 Central attack (%) 41

22 Right attack (%) 34

I have read some football pages (eurosport,onefootball,ntvmsnbc,fifaworldcup )and now I understand that I am affected by the brazilian supporters...I've watched the summary of the game at home , alone and it is clearly seen that belgium had their chances as well as brazil..

So do I have to say "fuck you barbi"? :cry: :lol:

FUCK!!! :mad: :mad:
I typed for like 30 minutes and then this shit crashed :mad:

So I keep it short this time.

1. Belgium and Brazil had about the same number of chances, or I've been watching a different game. Belgium were unable to smash the ball into the net, Brazil were not. That's how football is. Blame yourself.

2. Brazil had the advantage of exceptional individual skills and someworld class players. Belgium has avarage players on the international level and their strength i believe is in discipline and tactics. As long as Belgium haven't got carried away with the attacking in the second half, there were no problems. When they forgot about defending, the world class strikers of Brazil knew no mercy.

3. One would think Belgium hit the post three times, had six 1 on 1 chances and all that, reading your posts. Well, none of them actually happened. the game altogether was even - first half dominated by Brazil, 30 minutes of the second half dominated by Belgium. In the first half Belgium had only had that Wilmots header, nothing else. Don't call that Mpenza shot a chance, I beg.

4. That Eurosport report is pretty much one-sided, quite shameful from an "objective" source. Just one example of the many: "Marcos again saved the four-times champions when he dived at the feet of Mpenza to block his shot from close range at the far post in three minutes later"
There was a similar chance for Brazil in the first half, when Ronaldo smashed the ball in the keeper's face 5 meters from the goal (he even needed brief medical attention). This chance (and a lot more) wasn't big enough to be mentioned... Of course Mpenza's 1-minute "cheeky lob", which would be a goal for sure had Marcos been asleep, made it to the highlights.
I'm sure all the Brits at Eurosport would have been happy if they got Belgium as an opponent next round, but as journalist I think this report was below level.

You've got to admit we played good. Hell, we didn't win, but Brazil wouldn't have won without their individual talent. They were reallylame today, bad combinations, WEAK defence, while the belgians were playing the best they could.
I wonder what would have happened if that jamaican piece of pot had validated that goal.

Wilmots stops his internationl career, so does Verheyen. Two big losses...

Yes. As a team, Belgium performed much better!

But there is one more thing. In the second half Scolari clearly gave the instructions to let the Belgians come up a little. Sure he didn't want this to happen (so much Belgian pressure) but part of it was intentional. You could see that right after the whistle, when Belgians haven't even touched the ball yet. It was risky, but in the end it worked.

Ohh, and the referee said he is sorry for Wilmots'goal, he was wrong :D :(

I'm sure all the Brits at Eurosport would have been happy if they got Belgium as an opponent next round, but as journalist I think this report was below level.

Man, do some research before you spout such shit. 'Brits'? I'll have you know now, that team is ENGLAND. Scotland and Wales wish nothing but failure on the English team. They'd be happy that we got Brazil as we're probably going to lose.

thank you smartass but i don't have to make researches to know who or what is brit or what are their relations like.
When I said brit i wasn't sure how to end the sentence yet. I almost wrote that they would have been happy just to see Brazil out. In the end I wrote what i wrote but forgot to correct 'brits'.
You are right the way i put it in the end was not right but you got what I wanted to say didn't you? The bottom line is that Eurosport report is a piece of ****.