There is something missing...

Frodnat

New Metal Member
Oct 12, 2001
everywhere
I always wondered... I mean Anathema and Antimatter creating such good music. Deep emotions, sadness, it totally fits for depression... and gaining strength from it. But hey where are the funny moments in their music...?

I know what you say now. There was Judgement with its bright atmosphere in many songs, but the overall emotional landscape is still dominated by depression. There are songs that deal with love but many more that are about the loss of it. We all know what the lads are doing on stage and what they are like in real "promotion"-life.

Conclusion:

There is something missing in their songs and lyrics... :) and I also think that this would be the clue for an album that migth bring them a step further. Add all emotion, not in a superficial way, no no no... just a more adequate way... a song with a smile... Hey this would be great. Just to break a circle...

They did it with
Silent Enigma ---> Eternity
Alternative 4 ---> ....... ---> A Natural Disaster

Add some light... come on !!!

What do you think?

i dont know, frod. if i want to hear something that will make me smile, i'll put something else.

and, by the way, anathema isnt that doom anymore either. check out "a temporary peace." now that track puts a huge smile on my face.

Don Corleone said:
i dont know, frod. if i want to hear something that will make me smile, i'll put something else.

and, by the way, anathema isnt that doom anymore either. check out "a temporary peace." now that track puts a huge smile on my face.
Hmmm, you are right with that one, but there is still this storm closing in... knowing that the doom is just standing in front of the door doesn´t make anyone breath in and out that easy...

The music isn´t just reflecting all of the personality of the people who write the music.

aaah you are perfectly right, thats why the song is called "TEMPORARY peace". but thats why it's such a realistic, great song...thats why it is 100% cheese-free: nothing is perfect in life and there will always be problems. but still, we can seize the day with our loved ones, eh? thats what the song says.

but i see what you mean, frod: a song that is, like...FUN! like hendrix's "foxey lady" or deep purple's "space truckin'" haha i dont know. they just popped into my mind.

it would indeed be interesting to hear such a song, but im not really sure if i would WANT such a song from them. i think they are great the way they are. let's leave it to others to make that kind of music, i'd say.

I don't know, I've been finding "Anyone, anywhere" quite funny for a while now :p .

I would never ever classify Antimatter or Anathema as music that fits depression, sorry for the bad terms coming up, but I've always felt Anathema and Antimatter's music to be more "alive" or "real" than any other bands' (except TV2 of course :Spin: ). And I can honestly say that their music makes me feel more hopeful and happy than depressed.

It's not as if it's news that love is difficult, death is sad and so on.

what about dogs, what about cats, what about chickeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeens? :D

Frodnat said:
Conclusion:
just a more adequate way... a song with a smile... Hey this would be great.
What do you think?

What smile ?! :hotjump: There's even a song with LAUGH :yell:

Though it is "The Last Laugh" :D :D
LOL!

Anyways AFDTE with AND makes me smile,chuckle and even laugh with bitterness... :bah:

no i dont feel theres something missing. actually both Antimatter and Anathema come across to me as somewhat disappointed in ppl, theirselves, in general.
tho yeh, it me too gives me 'hope' and 'understanding' in a(n abstract kinda) way :ill:

there are quite a few bands though that put the more melancholic, 'depressive' side into their music, not the other of their personalities, for various reasons... I also wondered various times why ppl happily married with children very often sing about loss of relationships, or ppl that seem to be confident and relaxed write songs about how bad life has treated them.. sometimes there seems to be a clash, yet one doesn't know the band and the people behind it, and maybe they feel it's more important for them to share this particular side of themselves with ppl instead of other aspects...
very hard to say...

i also think ,when you're all happy and content, you don't have the same urge to write about it as when you feel down, sad, unhappy...at least, to some ppl it might be a way to deal with those feelings...IMHO

Bastet said:
i also think ,when you're all happy and content, you don't have the same urge to write about it as when you feel down, sad, unhappy...at least, to some ppl it might be a way to deal with those feelings...IMHO
When I am down or sad I simply cannot write any songs. And when I'm not, the songs I write are usually melancholic. So maybe it's the same with the Anathema songs?

dunno about the anathema songs...when i'm down i can't do much either... but when something really sad happened, i always get ideas about paintings afterwards...

well come to think of it... happy events inspire me as well...there goes my theory :(

anyway, i don't feel like something's missing. i like anathema just the way they are...