Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Theta – Tone Poems for Sad Times
Translation Loss Records – TL6 – 03/01/2005
By Nathan Pearce

Theta.jpg

Translation Loss Records put themselves on the map with Mouth of the Architect. The label has quickly become a haven for bands that reach outside of their respective sub-genres and incorporate something other than the norm. Theta is no different. Featuring members/former members of Reggie and the Full Effect, Coalesce, and The Esoteric, Theta was never going to be normal. However, don’t expect any sort of metalcore massacre.

Tone Poems for Sad Times is first and foremost emotional music. I think it would also be fair to call it rock. Some of the riffs and song structures are reminiscent of metal and post-hardcore, but the overall feel of this album is clearly of a subdued and, again, emotional nature. In fact a fair comparison could be made to both modern day Anathema and Cave In. Not exactly two bands you see listed in the same sentence very often, but nevertheless two bands that have come to define textured, spatial, and emotional rock music in the 21st century. However, Theta has a certain amount of eeriness in their songwriting. Things just seem to flow. Song structure is similar to that used by many psychedelic rock bands. There really aren’t any sing along sections on this album, but the emotion and texture of each song makes every minute of this album memorable.

If I had one complaint about this album, it would simply be that there are only 5 songs in less than 30 minutes, but I think this is actually an EP (promo material didn’t tell me one way or the other). Nevertheless, I was left craving more. Theta is very good at their chosen style, and they can easily compete with any and all emotional/psychedelic/ambient bands currently on the scene. Tone Poems for Sad Times is probably the most fitting name this album could have possibly been given.

8.5/10

Theta’s official website
Translation Loss Records’ Official Website