They call themselves Metal fans!

Matty35

New Metal Member
Mar 24, 2008
United Kingdom
Hey gang,

I was browsing another Forum, (which i wont name) & the subject of Anthrax & their new singer became a topic, i was completely amazed at what i was reading, quotes such as "does anyone really care about Anthrax anymore" & "who cares who sings for them now" "Anthrax are a joke now"...

Now, did we just forget about the 20 plus years of face melting Metal?, personnel changes happen for many reasons, but to say Thrax are a joke & nobody cares about the future of the band is ridiculous to me, how many personnel swaps have Megadeth had?:err: & they are still doing the biz!

I just dont get people sometimes, i think this band is still capable of delivering quality Metal!

I salute the Thrax..:kickass:

Cheers

Matty..:mad:

I think it's fair to say that the kids now don't have much time or respect for the older bands. Certainly Anthrax haven't helped themselves with the constant lineup changes but so far as i'm concerned they are the only band out of the original "big four" that haven't dissapointed when it came to releasing an album, especially in the last 15 years or so. I think it becomes "trendy" to bash certain bands, metallica have got lots (perhaps sometimes justified)... and now it's Anthrax's turn. I'm confident though that these kids won't know whats hit them when the new album hits our shelves..... that's if they even listen to it, I can't help but feel that those who are so quick to bash the band probably haven't heard much of their stuff.

Yep, Metal Sludge...some real bone heads there!

Changing fashions in Metal never interested me, i dont care who's in or who's out, if its good, its good, period!

A lot of false Metal fans switched sides when grunge hit, all of a sudden kids were throwing out their Dio albums, i was like "what the hell" theres room for both types of Rock / Metal..:err:

I found part of the early 90's depressing, because of people's attitude's towards older bands...

Some of my closest friends were guilty of this, but now i point the finger at them, who are getting their "Among the living" & " Last in line" CD's out again..

In summary,...i stayed true to the cause, so did you, & so did Thrax..:kickass:

Cheers

Matty..:D

It's cool to see that you're a passionate fan.... but in all honesty, aren't Anthrax a bit more like the friends you mentioned considering some statements and career moves they made in the past?

It's cool to see that you're a passionate fan.... but in all honesty, aren't Anthrax a bit more like the friends you mentioned considering some statements and career moves they made in the past?

Ohhhh, deep!!!!!

For me bro, no!...There may have been a slight change in direction, but it was still Metal, it wasnt like they turned into Pearl Jam or The Rolling Stones to sell records..

Just my two cents..

Cheers

Matty

Anthrax has always copped a ton of shit from "haters" as they get called these days. They were always so far ahead of their time, especially up to about the early 90s, and some people couldn't handle that. Now they just cop shit for whatever. But really what well known metal band that has had commercial success in the past hasn't? There's not a lot. But I will also admit that I have felt that sometimes Anthrax hasn't helped themselves.

Hey gang,

I was browsing another Forum, (which i wont name) & the subject of Anthrax & their new singer became a topic, i was completely amazed at what i was reading, quotes such as "does anyone really care about Anthrax anymore" & "who cares who sings for them now" "Anthrax are a joke now"...

Now, did we just forget about the 20 plus years of face melting Metal?, personnel changes happen for many reasons, but to say Thrax are a joke & nobody cares about the future of the band is ridiculous to me, how many personnel swaps have Megadeth had?:err: & they are still doing the biz!

I just dont get people sometimes, i think this band is still capable of delivering quality Metal!

I salute the Thrax..:kickass:

Cheers

Matty..:mad:

I think they're still capable of delivering Metal, but i don't think they've done anything that great since State of euphoria to be honest. I would have liked to have seen a reunion album, but Joey's vocals aren't as high as they used to be and Joey singing like bush would suck. Hope the new guy don't scream then have gay metal core chorus vocals.

I have nothing against old bands. In fact, most of my favorite bands are "old but still kicking!"

This said, I won't completely disagree with some of the haters opinions.

I understand lineup changes happen, I get that. I liked original Belladonna Thrax, I loved John Bush Thrax. Then they started the whole half-reunion/no reunion/full-on-fire-our-vocalist-of-more-than-ten-years-for-the-guy-that-we-kicked-out-reunion. I won't disagree that Anthrax have simply become...not much to me.

I still love the music. I can throw anything from Fistful to Greater of Two Evils on, and think that is some of the best metal ever recorded. But that doesn't change the fact that I became disappointed and disinterested in the band after they had taken so many steps towards covering new ground and territory musically, only to say: "let's scrap all that and go back to exactly what we were doing because our new stuff doesn't sell as well as the albums did in 1989." Obviously, this isn't because A) records don't sell as much in general nowadays, and B) metal doesn't sell even half as much as it did 20 years ago.

For those of you who say, "Anthrax reunited with Belladonna for the fans", well...I will respect your opinion, though I do not share it.

They pioneered many different forms of metal, then took a new step forward, two steps back, and then shot themselves in the foot.

What is funny to me is not who the band is, what they are, etc...it is the fact that a band that is responsible for creating/energizing/leading the charge of metal for 20 years has put themselves into a position where they have to prove themselves. Again. That is sad.

I only hope that they can make some significant stuff with Dan that goes in a completely new direction from either Belladonna or Bush. Anything else will simply be the equivalent of putting Ripper Owens in your band.

I have nothing against old bands. In fact, most of my favorite bands are "old but still kicking!"

This said, I won't completely disagree with some of the haters opinions.

I understand lineup changes happen, I get that. I liked original Belladonna Thrax, I loved John Bush Thrax. Then they started the whole half-reunion/no reunion/full-on-fire-our-vocalist-of-more-than-ten-years-for-the-guy-that-we-kicked-out-reunion. I won't disagree that Anthrax have simply become...not much to me.

I still love the music. I can throw anything from Fistful to Greater of Two Evils on, and think that is some of the best metal ever recorded. But that doesn't change the fact that I became disappointed and disinterested in the band after they had taken so many steps towards covering new ground and territory musically, only to say: "let's scrap all that and go back to exactly what we were doing because our new stuff doesn't sell as well as the albums did in 1989." Obviously, this isn't because A) records don't sell as much in general nowadays, and B) metal doesn't sell even half as much as it did 20 years ago.

For those of you who say, "Anthrax reunited with Belladonna for the fans", well...I will respect your opinion, though I do not share it.

They pioneered many different forms of metal, then took a new step forward, two steps back, and then shot themselves in the foot.

What is funny to me is not who the band is, what they are, etc...it is the fact that a band that is responsible for creating/energizing/leading the charge of metal for 20 years has put themselves into a position where they have to prove themselves. Again. That is sad.

I only hope that they can make some significant stuff with Dan that goes in a completely new direction from either Belladonna or Bush. Anything else will simply be the equivalent of putting Ripper Owens in your band.

Wow...well said that man!

I came to Anthrax fairly recently - someone did me a compilation about 18 months ago and I got really into some of it. Until then, I had dismissed Anthrax as a has-been band from the 80's still kicking around to ever-diminishing audiences.

In some ways, I think I was right - but what I missed out on was that the music they were making was GREAT and the band was on fire live....!

How on earth you translate that to higher sales and stronger public profile, though, is anyone's guess - I mean, every band that has ever suffered a setback (i.e. every band ever!) has pondered THAT conundrum, haven't they?

I can't blame people for not realising what they are missing out on, but at the same time it is true that they ARE missing out.