Thinking about buying a bass cab

Nov 6, 2005
I am happy with the tones I can get out of software, but after playing around more with my bass through my guitar amps (after reading a Facebook post from ermz about it gluing the bass and guitar together), I have gotten the urge to look at bass cabs. However, I'm afraid of buying a glorified coffee table with how convenient modeling has become. Does anyone still mic for their bass tone?

I sometimes do and I like the result. I have this old big 2x15 Acoustic cab. I'd throw an MD421 in front of it most of the time.

This is one of those things where I feel like impulses are perfect for it- it contributes to the overall tone, but you're virtually never going to hear it clearly in the mix, so it would make sense to just get something that's cheap and comes close without using up space/money for the real thing.

assuming you´re the guitarist ... ask your band´s bassist whether you can borrow his amps and cab? :)

micing bass cabs is fine and fun, but I feel that the bass has to have a prominent role to make it worth the effort. So, usually it´s not metal you do that for

Unless you are recording like a full band live or need to play out with a bass rig, I would just still mic a bass going through a guitar amp for the amp sound and mix it with a DI if you want. i have a fucking svt 8x10 and it literally just sits here.