Thinking about trying to mic up my 5150

Cacoph0ny

Feb 23, 2008
So I have a 5150 which I basically never use, haha. I'm so sick of trying to get a good tone out of my PODxt or Revavler I think I might try to mic it up. I'm going for a BTBAM Alaska/ The Silent Circus sound. I'm a little concerned though because most of the 5150 clips I've heard sound pretty fizzy and I want something tighter.

Anyway, is it hard to get a good sound right off the bat or is it going to take hours of adjust the mic position and tweaking? Do you think I could get a tone like Alaska/TSC?

And you do not find the Pod to be fizzy? For miking just start out where the paper meets the cone and go from there. The cab will also make a pretty big difference.

if you want tight make sure you use some sort of OD pedal to Chuck Norris kick your amp into submission. With a 57 anywhere from the edge of the cone to half way between the cone and the edge, you should have a golden tone. Since you don't like fizz, you should mic in the dead center of the paper, (between the cone and edge) because moving further outside will help you obtain the lower harmonics, which will give you a stronger tone and help eliminate fizz.