5150/6505 for recording??

isnt that envelope distortion part of the sound we know/ love about a v30 with a 57 in front of it??? im not into anything that compensates for things. the only thing the maximizer really compensates for is tiny reproductive organs.:lol:

It's part of the sound, yes, but I don't know that it's a positive part. As far as compensating for reproductive organs, I don't think the BBE is flashy or expensive enough to fall into that category.

5150s are great! It's hard to go wrong with one of these for a solid and crushing metal tone.

What do you mean exactly? There's no reason a 7-string should sound any more muddy than a 6-string tuned just as low unless it's cheap or something needs to be changed..

I've been playing 7 strings for about 8 years thorugh many different amps. The tone you get from a dropped tuned 7 string for extreme style chug playing is NOT the same as a 6 string even when the 6 string is dropped tuned. This is my experience. I've used Ibanezes with Passive pickups 3 different ones with string through, floyds, and LTD's. i currently have 3 different 7's. Ibanez 7620, LTD M-107 with 707's and a Viper 407 with 81-7, and 707. The clearest guitar is by far the VIPER and its my main guitar right now. I've also tried 3 different cabinets. Standard 1960 Marshall Mesa Boogie oversized, and bogner ubercab.

I play a rectifier through a bogner ubercab and. i currently do not run any boost just a boss noise suppressor. Thats basically it. I've had the recto for 5 years I bought it brand new. it had JJ's in it.

I feel the low end on the Mesa is looser then what I want.

The bbe sonic maximizer to me is good for certain situations. I prefer it on bass. but I've used it on thinner amps like valvestates to beef up the low end.

I'm really struggling with this choice. I love my Mesa I just dont feel like i'm getting the tone i want from it. It really is a great amp. It is now a struggle within.. hahaha. BTW thanks everyone for your input. I am reading and I like seeing the different opinions.

I'd be interested if the BBE does as a part of the FOH chain, just before hitting the PA

But when it comes to guitar sound, it compensates for your awesome tone by inducing a phase shift of absolute garbage so it sounds like a maximized turd

i currently do not run any boost just a boss noise suppressor. Thats basically it. I've had the recto for 5 years I bought it brand new.

I feel the low end on the Mesa is looser then what I want.

That's your problem right there! Don't sell the Mesa before you get to try it out with a boost pedal like the Ibanez Tubescreamer!

I also use 7-string guitars, a Schecter Hellraiser C-7 with EMG 707's and a Carvin Dc727 with stock pickups. I use a Mesa Triple Rectifier boosted with an Ibanez TS-9.

For low tunings, the Recto really needs a boost pedal to tighten it up, it really makes a huge difference with the amp.

The tone stays a lot more focused, has healthier mids and a smoother top. I would say 90% of the metal albums tracked with a Recto were recorded with the Recto+boost combination.

So before you sell the amp, give a boost pedal a try!

That's your problem right there! Don't sell the Mesa before you get to try it out with a boost pedal like the Ibanez Tubescreamer!

I also use 7-string guitars, a Schecter Hellraiser C-7 with EMG 707's and a Carvin Dc727 with stock pickups. I use a Mesa Triple Rectifier boosted with an Ibanez TS-9.

For low tunings, the Recto really needs a boost pedal to tighten it up, it really makes a huge difference with the amp.

The tone stays a lot more focused, has healthier mids and a smoother top. I would say 90% of the metal albums tracked with a Recto were recorded with the Recto+boost combination.

So before you sell the amp, give a boost pedal a try!

I probably should. I have to do some recording tests to see whats up.

also, for more mid range grunt i the mesa, try putting some el34s in it, pretty easy with a dual rec, flick a swich , drop em un and bobs yer uncle.
i reccomend winged c svetlanas or some sort of jj.

also, for more mid range grunt i the mesa, try putting some el34s in it, pretty easy with a dual rec, flick a swich , drop em un and bobs yer uncle.
i reccomend winged c svetlanas or some sort of jj.

I have JJ E34L's currently in there. And I do like the tone. I just think the low mids are mushy compared to other heads. It sounds good with my custom. And so so with the 7's I have. I'm gonna post clips of a cabinet comparison I just did.

My 5150 has the bias mod (done by FJA).

Clean still sucks a dick. I would say usable live though. In the studio however, the fender rules the roost.

I have like one clean part in my bands set and its not even long. I just want my heavy tone to come through clear and brutal.