Third strike for Sieges Even...

The Stormbringer

www.Metal1.info
Aug 11, 2002
Germany
www.metal1.info
http://siegeseven.com/

One of the greatest, most progressive (in the true sense of the word) rock bands out there is officially down and gone. :erk:
To me, this comes as a huge surprise. They come back with two fantastic albums, go on a big tour with Journey this year, publish their first ever live album (and a good one at that) and then, all of a sudden, disband over internal differences without much of a statement.
Actually, I don't really want to know what went on inside the band that made this decision necessary... I'll just state that this is a HUGE loss for the German prog scene.

The 21st century so far hasn't been kind to most of my favourite prog bands. Sieges Even are gone, Fates Warning seem to fade into obscurity (although I saw them on tour last October, I wonder if they will ever bring out a new record...), Enchant seem to be hanging in limbo right now... :erk:

Yes that does suck. They have become one of my favorite bands.

I listened to some of their tracks from the live album on the internet (I think their myspace page) and thought it sounded great.

Ah well.....so it goes.

I listened to some of their tracks from the live album on the internet (I think their myspace page) and thought it sounded great.
It is. One might question the sense of a single disc live album in the age of double disc albums and DVDs, but it's a good one nonetheless. The choice of songs is pretty good (they did not play any songs off of "Steps" on that tour, I believe, and the one song off of their debut album probably was dropped due to time constraints), the "A Sense Of Change" tracks get a new spark now that they're sung by Arno, and the sound is UNGODLY in my ears. I've heard the bass so loudly on a live album, EVER.

Markus Steffen, and Arno Menses are moving on to Subsignal, a band that I think Markus had been working towards developing.

Anyone have any theories or knowledge on what that band might sound like? I know it's a little early for that. I'm asking because I'm not sure who was (or were) the major influence of the "sound" of Sieges Even.

I just finished listening to the demo's available on the subsignal website. Arno and Markus definately maintain their "sound". I did notice more keyboards than with Sieges Even. I'm sure I'll like them.