Sieges Even - Navigating by Stars

Random Axe

Common Sense Man!
Sep 27, 2002
Cincinnati, OH
Visit site
Wow.

That's the best one word description have to describe them so far. I've never heard anything from this German prog band before, so I had no preconceived ideas about what to expect. From the first note to last, you are bombarded with deeply emotional and slightly abstract musical ideas and concepts that dance with the mind and comfort the soul. The singer is nearly flawless in his delivery and the band has maybe the best clean guitar sound I've ever heard. There are some heavier moments, but they are spread out. This is just a deeply moving prog rock album from InsideOut, who seems to be having a banner year.

I cannot reccomend this any higher. For ANY fan of melodic prog, The Art of Navigating By the Stars is a winner. Go to www.siegeseven.com and download the complete first track and get a feel for the whole album.

Awesome stuff.

Scott

I've been trying to find some samples of their earlier work like CHange and Uneven, but have found none. I thought maybe their website would have a song or two to try out, but all they have is the new tune.

Ever since I've been online and in the prog community, I'd always heard Sieges Even were a great band except for vocals, which were terrible. So, I stayeed away unti a friend recommended this to me. I'll have to keep looking for sound clips to get a better scope for the previous albums.

All I know is this new one is a monster.

Scott

IOfTheStorm said:
Now buy "A Sense Of Change" because it might become your favourite album ever. Its all you mentioned x 10 (except the heavy parts - there are none)
As much as I love "A Sense Of Change", "The Art..." is twice the album ASOC was. Better production, better singer, better songs. It's that simple. Album of the year by a landslide.

The "better production" means nothing, first because the quality of the songs matters, and then because "A Sense Of Change" has a perfect production already.
Jogi's theatrical vocals are unbeatable, Menses (which is totally GREAT, there is no doubt about that) simply hasnt such diversion in his voice. Jogi had greater range etc. The guy later became a singer for theatre (if im not mistaken) and you can see why in "A Sense Of Change".
Now about the songs, "The Art.." songs are all excellent, but there isnt any "A Change Of Seasons", neither "Dimensions" or "Epigram For The Last Straw". "A Sense Of Change" is probably the best post 70s progressive rock album, and it set so high standards, that its tough for most prog bands to create something that emotional/technical/artistical and intelligent.

Sieges Even and Dead Soul Tribe will be touring Europe in early January, btw. There's no way I'm gonna miss that package (double headliner tour)!!

ATONBTS is clearly the best prog rock album in years. Absolutely amazing musicianship and songwriting. Marcus Steffen is a true genius. I'm glad Sieges Even is finally getting some welldeserved attention among prog fans. I mean for years I thought this band would never come back from the retirement and now they produced another masterpiece... it's like a dream come true.

"A Sense Of Change"(1991) is my favorite album of all time. I have over 500 rock cds in my collection and this is my favourite. It's THAT good. I can't explain the sheer instrumental talent being married with emotional melodies and adventurous songstructures. This album has the tightest musicianship I've ever heard. The rhythmsection is sick. The album is 47 minutes of pure gold and I could listen to a song like "These Empty Places" for hours and hours on. This song is so beautifully crafted it makes some of the big names in the genre look like pop artists.
"Steps"(1990) is almost as good but different. It still has a strong "technical metal" edge, but blends in progressive rock and jazzy elements. This album gets negative rep for the vocals which are an acquired taste. I personally think Franz Herde's dry and desperate voice works perfectly on some songs. The 25-minute monster "Tangerine Windows Of Solace" is a truly unique song in the history of rock music. Long instrumental sections that are insanely technical and hypnotic at the same time and almost poetry-like lyrics sung with a mystic, dark voice of Herde. It's like magic.

Unfortunately, there's no samples or complete tracks available anymore. Is there any other way to get the song? Wanna check them out before buying compulsively.

|ng.

Here's what I have subsequently found out.

There are two complete tracks available at progarchives.com. Just click on the band name and you'll be taken to a page that has a player at the bottom of the page with two songs one each from Uneven and Sense of Change.

Also, it you'd like to check the new one out, go to siegeseven.com and download one complete track and check them for yourself. Easily the second best disc I've heard this year and one of the best in recent memory. However, if you are looking for prog metal, you can pass this by. This clearly falls into prog rock.

Scott

Random Axe said:
Also, it you'd like to check the new one out, go to siegeseven.com and download one complete track and check them for yourself.
Unfortunately not possible as they obviously had to remove the download due to stupid German laws.

ich bin besser said:
Unfortunately not possible as they obviously had to remove the download due to stupid German laws.

:confused: which law is this? is it a copyright or GEMA issue?

edit: ok, just saw the GEMA message on the site. :rolleyes: