This band has evolved

4evergrey

New Metal Member
May 4, 2004
Okay I heard this record one month before its release thru a friend who works in a radio station and preordered it off Amazon last week and will own it anytime soon.

When I first heard the whole album, I was kind off disappointed, but then I listened to it one more time, and I have to admit, I loved it, not even one bad song. This album isn't for the listeners who are always expecting constant heaviness or expecting the same but better from a band. This album is not the same. Infact not even one Evergrey album sounds the same. I realized how radio friendly MMA can be. I had it in my car cd player for over 2 weeks non stop, thats the only thing I heard everytime I got in my car, every song has a meaning to it, and the lyrics blew me away. Tom voice has changed, but only to the better. I have to say that this band knows whats its doing and it released an album that was totally different and shocked alot of fans. I still love this band even with there new album, and have been listening to the album for over a month now and still not sick of it. I'm just disappointed with the choice of song they chose to shoot as a video clip, however and video is nice and simple. I was actually hoping for something like At Lose For Words to be shoot as a video, cause it would be great knowing how heavy it is. Anyway, over all I love the new album and can't wait to own an actual copy.:headbang:

Finally someone who understood the word 'progressive' right:) I can't understand why so many people complain about the fact that Evergrey are now less prog and don't sound the same. Where's the progress when you sound the same? Evergrey have always been more Metal than Prog and this album kicks major ass. The CD is rotating in my player in the car as well:) As you've said, no bad song in the whole album. I just wouldn't have put 'closure' to the end, but that's just personal preferences: Never end an album with a ballad
When they asked me in the interview which my favorite songs are I even couldn't answer properly, because I loved it as a whole. Now after several spinnings there are some favorites. The mentioned 'At Loss For Words', 'Still In The Water', 'Obedience (which is live a killer), 'The Curtain Falls'....öhm....if I continue it's gonna be the whole album anyway.

Those songs are not just good for radio play (I know what I'm talking about), but also good for DJ's. No DJ plays songs over 5 minutes...or let's say rarely. This album is way easier to promote.

Conclusion: i love it...and am not sick of it yet either.

It's the first Evergrey CD where all the songs are good, none of them is bad.
But I found no Evergrey-Killing-Song on this album..
Obedience and Still In Water come close, but they aren't Evergrey's best song..

Stageact said:
Finally someone who understood the word 'progressive' right:) I can't understand why so many people complain about the fact that Evergrey are now less prog and don't sound the same. Where's the progress when you sound the same?

I'm sorry man, Normally I don't tell people they're retarded but on this note I have to.

The term progressive comes into play on the structure of how a song is created. Not how you sound now and later, that would be evolving.

Progressive is what opeth are, and old evergrey. No where near standard song structure, and the music PROGRESSES into changing themes. The music moves with you and tells a story with it's notes. (Don't give me any concept album bull shit) Every song on MMA is the same standard structure. Ever guess why they're all 3 minutes long?

Black Rain said:
I'm sorry man, Normally I don't tell people they're retarded but on this note I have to.

lol...and you think that is a qualified message?

your description is the description of the GENRE Prog, not the description of the WORD progressive. And guess what? Music doesn't have to belong to the GENRE Prog to move someone or tell a story. And the song length even doesn't have to do anything with Prog, neither the genre nor the term. Better think, kid, before your point your finger at someone and call HER retarded. Your mom obviously forgot to teach you some manners.

Settle down. *All* of you.

If you like it, you like it, and if you don't, you don't; please don't attack each other over it.

Stageact said:
lol...and you think that is a qualified message?

your description is the description of the GENRE Prog, not the description of the WORD progressive. And guess what? Music doesn't have to belong to the GENRE Prog to move someone or tell a story. And the song length even doesn't have to do anything with Prog, neither the genre nor the term. Better think, kid, before your point your finger at someone and call HER retarded. Your mom obviously forgot to teach you some manners.

There's a reason I put (don't give me concept album bull shit( in perenthisees.

Black Rain said:
There's a reason I put (don't give me concept album bull shit( in perenthisees.

I never talked about concept albums. Actually I never talked about the progressive genre. Reading is a wonderful ability, isn't it?I was talking about the word progressive and not the genre. It's like I would have said something about metal (iron, steel..whatever) and you're telling me something about heavy drums and destorted guitars.

Black Rain said:
The term progressive comes into play on the structure of how a song is created.
No where near standard song structure,
and the music PROGRESSES into changing themes.

Ever guess why they're all 3 minutes long?
yes, you did. :p

As for the expression prog, I kinda know how to define it (like Opeth)... but sometimes I don't, like when you say that this album is prog. When you use the term, are you speeking about the whole album as every song helps to maintain a progressive sound? Or do you use the term prog as in every song being progressive in its own way? If that's the case, please explain the word for me, cuz I really can't figure this one out <.<

I agree with Black Rain, that "Progressive" describes the song structure (which is not Intro-Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Outro with Outro=Intro) and not the progress of the Band...
And almost every song of MMA is structured this standard way...
I think this album is very good, but the old stuff was awesome...

I love it when people slap labels onto bands

LOL, maybe I don't know any better but when bands start playing they don't decided they want to be this kinda band or that kinda band, they play what they enjoy.

The quickest way to kill a band is to put a label on them. I personally hate it when a band sticks to one gendre. Really annoying then you have to find a few hundred bands to fill the possible gendres you might enjoy, sad.

If they were playing dance music or had Snoop Dogg on backing vocals then I might have something nasty to say.

progressive stems from progression which can be a lot of different terms or meanings. Either their song structures can be progressive or the direction each cd heads coinciding with the rest of the catalogue.

I tried to be as open-minded as possible concerning this album... even welcoming the idea that it would be different... and more "radio-friendly"... but I think this album is well below the usual Evergrey quality... I do think there's been an evolution towards simpler songs and less intricate musical passages... it still worked on "Inner Circle"... where the simplicity revealed a starkly disturbing concept... but "Monday Morning" is just a boring album.

Monday Morning Apocalypse is a great album. Evergrey were never really that progressive of a band, they just got labeled as that. they're a metal band and they made a metal album. stop complaining.