This idea for a new interface.

pifos_2

des scoubidoubidous wha !
Jan 15, 2007
Netherlands
www.myspace.com
So I read zillions of "what interface (firewire of not) should I get" thread.

We have to upgrade from a firepod to better converters and 14 preamps a minimum.

Nobody seem really to agree about this topic.
I read that saffire 26 pro is great but then that there is no pads so the preamps are unusable. That presonus firestudio converters are shit. Other says that it works great when the drivers are not crashing the computer. That the FF800 is the best interface but that onboard preamps are not so good... MOTU interface are nice but I have no use of their usual onboard DSP effects. The list goes on...

I am becoming crazy here to make a choice. And I really want the money spent to be worth it and to be just what we need.

So here is the new idea I came up with :

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdsp_9652.php

+

http://www.focusrite.com/products/platinum/octopre_le/

For a little than the price of the FF800, I will have the goodyness of the RME converters and the goodyness of the focusrite preamps. And also 8 preamps (not 4 like on the FF). Plus 2 other adat channels for extension.

Of course it is not a mobile rig.

For the moment it looks like what I am into for the next upgrade. If some of you have experiences to share with this kind of configuration, especially those HDSP RME cards, that would be nice.

When I search for those terms, there is like 10 results...

Yeah, provided you don't run the ADAT output of your Focusrite into the RME, which would have the Focusrite doing the conversion rather than the RME

Yeah, provided you don't run the ADAT output of your Focusrite into the RME, which would have the Focusrite doing the conversion rather than the RME

yeah actually the 9652 does not have converters on board. only the 9632 but there is only 1 ADAT channel so its not usuable for me.

so basically I would to use the octopre conversion...

Yeah by running things via ADAT, you aren't getting the benefits of any RME conversion whatsoever.

Get a Mackie Onyx 1200F, thing is a monster, I worship mine. Converters are on par with RME and the preamps are heralded as the best in the prosumer range. Also has 12 onboard preamps with 16 additional channels of ADAT, 4 separate headphone outputs, etc. Amazing interface.