Will probably buy an new audio interface - MOTU or RME?

RME is a sidestep in converter quality compared to Presonus? I'm using an API a2d through a Firestudio 2626 and Yamaha HS80s and I feel like my image isn't wide and everything is pretty smeared in a bad way. The a2d in sound good, and I feel like clocking to it helped me hear transients just a little better. But I'm looking for a significant upgrade, but I can't justify getting a FF800 if the pres are "meh" and the conversion is pretty good- when I could just keep putting change away for something like a Lynx 16 and Hammerfall card. I have heard people do really kickass stuff on RME/MOTU converters. That being said, the are like 3 FF800s on Craigslist right now I could get for cheap. And I feel like the Yamahas could be upgraded too. I have no idea.

The reason to get a fireface 800 is stability and functionality. Converters are to my ears good enough that I can't see my ever being able to justify needing better to make quality recordings , the pres are great just plain. I just love how it always works never fails, never hiccups, and total mix is so amazing for so many things. So good for setting up headphone mixes. I've been super happy with mine.

Yeah, RME is known for its stability. That's why friends of mine have always recommanded this brand to me. I've read many good things about Motu too except bad feedback from some users and it looks like there are reasons to be disappointed obviously regarding to issues and bad customer service reported here. I'll be able to try a FF800 soon, it will be the best test. On the other hand, I also can get a Presonus Firestudio in great condition for free, if its good enough this could make me save a bunch of gold. Someone knows it?

I know I'm repeating myself but you really should consider the new Steinberg UR44 interface or at least have a look at it. I found a comparison on Gearslutz between an RME FF400 and a Steinberg MR816 (the UR44 uses the same preamps from the higher end MR series interfaces and similar or even identical sounding conversion).

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear...hoeps-mk21-rme-ff400-vs-steinberg-mr816x.html

It's still relatively new but it's quickly becoming a popular interface which is not surprising considering the excellent audio quality at that price point. Drivers are said to be stable too which I'm soon going to find out myself.

I owned a MOTU Ultralite MK1 and also had the chance to use the 828 a few times (not sure which versions) and I think they both sound great too. The only issues I ever had with my Ultralite was that it would constantly produce crackles and pops while using Windows through Bootcamp, although this could have been already fixed with one of the updates.