Need advices for a good USB audio interface.

Thank you.

A bit out of topic: I tried a FireFace 800 and a Motu 828MKII (both firewire) and I had the same issues. Damn, don't know what's wrong in there!

Maybe it's not caused by Firewire/Thunderbolt connection. It's just a possibility. I've heard things about Hyperthreading too...

@mva801: what's your OS? It seems like PT10 has some weird CPU issues with Moutain Lion 10.8.5.

Maybe it's not caused by Firewire/Thunderbolt connection. It's just a possibility. I've heard things about Hyperthreading too...

@mva801: what's your OS? It seems like PT10 has some weird CPU issues with Moutain Lion 10.8.5.

Well the roland is USB to start .... :I

But, the stock pre's in their are killer, way way above the other usb stuff from focusrite, m audio etc, obviously not in RME territory here.

Extremely stable too, its well known for this, its worked straight off with everyone I know who's had it.

If too much the quad is cool too, the auto sens is killer, impedance, lift etc

Thanks for your input man. Good to know that. The only thing I want to do really soon is to connect a good USB interface to my iMac and see if everything acts properly. And I pray fo it!

Hi,

I bought a new iMac which is a real beast (i7 3.5gHz, 32Go RAM, HD Fusion Drive 1To...) But it also have thunderbolt port only - not firewire anymore on new models - and I work with a Digi003 Rack+ (firewire). I've never had any issue with my former iMac that had a firewire port but now, my system does not work as it supposed to. So I contacted Chris Holmes to get some tech support on this. We tested 2 FW interfaces (DIGI003 and Firestudio) same results. I still have to check that but it seems that adpater firewire/thunderbolt causes some problems (buffer size setting issue -> latency during recording, CPU overload...) MAYBE I will need to get an USB interface. So just in case, I'd like to have some good stuff to look at if I actually need to buy one.

It was not planned so my budget is quite low, say around 500€ is the very VERY maximum. I guess I can get something decent in this price range tho. I need at least 4 good preamps, preferably 8. Great sound and even more important, great stability and great performances latency wise. And a 19" rack format would be preferable. Argh, RME soundcards are awesome but they're also WAY too expensive for me right now.

I don't know nothing about Tascam but I read good words about them. I heard that Motu interfaces are generally great but not that stable...Here are some interfaces I saw, I'd like to have your opinion. Other suggestions are more than welcome!

- Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
- Tascam US-1800
- Tascam US-2000
- Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
- Roland UA-1010 Octa-Capture (this one seems to be great, uh?)
- Motu 8 Pre USB
- Motu Audio Express
- Motu 4 Pre Hybrid
- Motu UltraLite MKIII Hybrid

Thanks in advance Sneapers!

Oh, I work on an iMac OSX 10.8.5 with PT10.3.7.
Do my eyes deceive me or are the MOTU units plastic? Not a good combination with high impedance preamps and computers with noisy switching PSUs.

I still run Snow Leopard (10.6.8) on my studio iMac. I always wait forever to upgrade OS's until I really have to. When I have a stable system and no real need to upgrade, I just leave the shit alone.